• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Garage Floor Coatings

First Electric Car

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS- 2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Looking to have a professional coat our garage floor which is in good shape- only three years old. Garage is primarily used to park three vehicles. Live in SW so it very hot most of the summer. Wondering experience with other Porsche owner in using Polyurea vs Epoxy coatings and any recommendation or things to look out for.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I have a competing product (GarageDeck) in my workshop and I am 100% happy that I did this over a coating. The more research I did into coating, the more problems I read about hot tires picking it up, not to mention all the prep that needed to go into the floor before you even got started.

Sorry, I know this doesn’t help answer your specific question, but I agree with Dave that you might want to consider some type of garage tile.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Macan EV Garage Floor Coatings 1629024343733

another big fan of Swisstrax

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 + Mini Electric in 2024/5
Country flag
Ditto re SwissTrax - since 2015 - some older pics during a clean out :)

Macan EV Garage Floor Coatings gar1.JPG

Macan EV Garage Floor Coatings gar2.JPG

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Garagetek flooring in US.Looks like the Swisstrrax, easy to install and so far looks great and really easy to clean.

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just did this. I paid $5/sq ft and went with a company that does a two day process… not one. It will last longer.

1) make sure they prep is right and fix any cracks and also diamond grind the surface for proper adhesion.

2) they should go up your wall a few inches and also do your garage door step if you have one and go all the way past your garage door edge.

3) ask for low VOC, if not have them throw in a fragrance or else it will smell bad.

4) have them tape your door with painters tape. I personally taped my can lights too to prevent fumes going into the house.

5) make sure they put enough anti-slip in.

6) I prefer a slightly rougher texture for preventing slipping and extra flakes - so discuss this with your installer. I don’t want my family slipping in winter and cracking their heads open.

7) make sure the color matches the outside of your house too.

8) make sure any dips or areas where water collects is address by the installer to level it out.

9) make sure your concrete is totally dry.

10) prepare to leave your car outside for a while, I did a week (overkill) to ensure full curing.

11) remove everything off the floor! I even removed my cabinets and work area.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 + Mini Electric in 2024/5
Country flag
So as I understand Swiss trax, there’s lots of gaps where dust, sand etc can fall. How do you keep that part clean?
Super easy - simply use a portable garden leaf blower - you can easily separate and pull up any size section too which I do occasionally and fully clear out dust/dirt if there - makes the process easy to manage with minimal sweat. I only have to do this maybe once or twice a year but of course depends on how you use your garage etc.

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
I usually do a quick shopvac once a week or so. There are channels underneath, so any water or liquid drains away. Otherwise, just lift up any sections you want to clean under. Ordered it on a Friday, arrived Monday, installed with my wife and I an Wednesday.
I was going to go with the epoxy/poly but I saw what hot tire traffic can do to it…depends on the installer expertise I suppose

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Another happy swisstrax customer. Tried epoxy, started lifting after a few years.

Macan EV Garage Floor Coatings 71F18159-5447-4215-820D-D04ECB177FC7

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have RaceDeck and love it.

If you are going epoxy, it’s all about the prep work. Every garage is different, so there’s no simple way to say what prep work you’ll want, but make sure you discuss the details with your installer.

OP
OP

First Electric Car

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS- 2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
So as I understand Swiss trax, there’s lots of gaps where dust, sand etc can fall. How do you keep that part clean?
Thank you- This is an interesting alternation but I read one of the disadvantage of interlocking tiles is water can get between the tiles and create Mold. What has been your experience or other who responded experience

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Thank you- This is an interesting alternation but I read one of the disadvantage of interlocking tiles is water can get between the tiles and create Mold. What has been your experience or other who responded experience
I guess this could happen but I have not seen any sign of it in the 5+ years I have had it installed in very humid central VA......