• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rivian R1T early review

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nice. Watching “Long Way Up” really sold me on it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Are there any Taycan owners considering a Rivian?

My daily commute is a mix of 100+ highway miles with several hours off-road as part of major infrastructure projects. Right now its handled with my 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

Looking to replace the Jeep with Rivian.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/features/2021-rivian-r1t-electric-truck-first-drive-review/
date on the review is Oct. 2020 - it’s a great review - but some of the information in it is now dated - I thought I had read all this before and now that I see the date - yeah - I do not believe Rivian has shipped anything yet and continues to miss self identified dates - great promise - so far less than stellar execution.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
date on the review is Oct. 2020 - it’s a great review - but some of the information in it is now dated - I thought I had read all this before and now that I see the date - yeah - I do not believe Rivian has shipped anything yet and continues to miss self identified dates - great promise - so far less than stellar execution.
I don't mind the delays as long as they deliver a quality product. I don't want a Beta product to be shipped as a final product just to meet an arbitrary time line. Launching a completely new vehicle from an automotive startup on time is next to impossible. Even legacy automakers and Tesla can't seem to deliver on time.

Based on the specs and the recent videos/photos, it will be the only off road capable electric SUV on the market at a really competitive price point. The truck also has a lot of appeal over the F-150 lightning and Cybertruck. The Cybertruck was just delayed again until 2022. We will see if Tesla can even come close to delivering any of the promised specs at their original price targets.

Reactions: B61

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Yes, my understanding is that they have delayed the first deliveries until September, now. I still think I would have liked the vehicle, but I would not have been happy waiting this long. By the time I'm tired of my Taycan, maybe....

OP
OP
TomP

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, 718 Boxster
Country flag
R1T's were supposed to be delivered in July, now September. I would not be surprised to see that date slide also. The Rivian forum shows about 6 out of 41 planned service centers near completion.

Communication to reservations holders could be much better.

I reserved a slot back in late 2018 after seeing the Rivian debut the same day the GM CEO claimed all electric SUV or Truck was at least 10 years away. That thinking has changed, Rivian still has a lead, but not sure for how long. An American made premium electric SUV right now is a niche market and they will have to deliver a great product and service to succeed.

That said, I'm still going to base my final decision on a test drive and hopefully some reviews of well respected EV journalists.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
After reading about innumerable missed deadlines from so many proto-EV manufacturers, as well as hilarious joke-like hyperbole from Tesla again and again, I am respecting Porsche even more now with the Taycan.

The Mission-E was revealed in 2015? And they debuted the Tacyan 4CT beta in 2016? They did a damn fine job of releasing a paradigm-shifting product in early 2020 with a large dealer network in place and 99% of bugs ironed out within 5 years of development.

Yes, there are production bottlenecks as of mid-2021, but that's not especially Porsche's fault. They did spend over €800,000,000 to build a state-of-the-art factory for the Taycan, and are trying to ramp up delivery the best they can.

Just as Porsche famously under-reports the actual range and HP of the Taycan, I do not believe they lower themselves to the same mischief of other EV makers with wild pronouncements and fictional targets.

Edit: There's a kitchen in the truck. Cool. It might as well come with an Air Guitar and an imaginary Bouncy Castle. I can eat a real hamburger in my real Taycan today. It's no contest.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Well said FrozenRobert. :fist bump:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
IF Rivian, then pickup only, no SUV, no any "limousine"... but I'm not going to wait another year (or more)
(I live in the country, used to have pickups before.)

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Cybertruck might be useful only for some (walking dead) movies :giggle:

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Gosh! I'm a SO terribly surprised at this (lack of) development!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a37257513/tesla-cybertruck-delayed-to-2022/

<vrrooom!> ... doing donuts in my real Taycan around an invisible Rivian / Cybertruck ...
In fairness to Rivian, I've seen R1T test cars on the road here in the SF Bay Area. They're clearly getting close to production (same w/ Lucid Air, who seem to have tons of test cars on the road around here).

Given that Tesla is here and I used to see M3 and other Tesla testers, and I haven't yet seen any sign of CyberTruck...

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, Bolt EV
Country flag
In fairness to Rivian, I've seen R1T test cars on the road here in the SF Bay Area. They're clearly getting close to production (same w/ Lucid Air, who seem to have tons of test cars on the road around here).

Given that Tesla is here and I used to see M3 and other Tesla testers, and I haven't yet seen any sign of CyberTruck...
CT was based on the nonexistent 4860 battery. We wont be seeing any test mules
The Ausin factory will be for Model Y, eventually phasing out Fremont

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Rivian started production. Deliveries of the first 100 trucks happening in the next two weeks. They have still said my R1S (the SUV) should be delivered before the end of the year. Hoping to have it ready for ski season.

As soon as I take delivery I'll post a review on the forum. I figure a lot of you might be interested.
I am. Their vehicles look promising and after 11 years I wish them the best. A friend of mine left Ford in 2019 for Rivian.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I reserved a Launch Edition R1S the day they where accepting reservations back in January 2019. Looking forward to adding one to the EV collection