• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Cell phone mounts?

maven

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan electric 2024
Country flag
Curious where people are putting their phones. I’m used to mounting mine below the dash or vents, so I have access but haven’t found any good accessories designed for the new model yet. Anyone else?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Serious question: why do you want your phone mounted?
I can see the use case if you’re driving an Uber or similar, but what other reason - when most everything can be displayed on a bigger screen close by?

Last edited:
OP
OP

maven

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan electric 2024
Country flag
Fair question. I find it easier to access at stop lights if it’s mounted rather than tucked away

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair question. I find it easier to access at stop lights if it’s mounted rather than tucked away
My phone is always charging, which makes sense as CarPlay and the GPS use a ton of battery.

When driving, all my phone needs (messages, music, GPS, calls) can be managed with voice or the main screen in the car.

And I *hated* having my phone dangling somewhere, taking space by the windshield - just as I *hated* having a GPS mounted on the dashboard/windshield. So much happier with CarPlay/Siri.

Afraid I can’t help you. Maybe others can. 🙃

OP
OP

maven

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan electric 2024
Country flag
I really appreciate your feedback. I agree that I'd rather not have my phone just out there, eating into the dash and interface. This is my first Porsche, so maybe I just need to rely on the built in software more. Do you just have it read/announce your messages/emails to you?

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
Really love where Porsche put the charging station for phones on the Macan. Now I have to struggle to take it off and distract myself from driving. Lately I also close the flap so I don't have temptations. The system allows reading messages (not emails at least on iPhone) but let's say the writer can wait.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really appreciate your feedback. I agree that I'd rather not have my phone just out there, eating into the dash and interface. This is my first Porsche, so maybe I just need to rely on the built in software more. Do you just have it read/announce your messages/emails to you?
CarPlay/Siri can read text messages to me, not emails just yet. But I expect it’s just a matter of time.

The other thing is I now try to be more focused on driving.

During one of the Porsche Track Experience classes, the instructor was commenting how we all can drive from A to B without thinking about it. Our minds wander and we don’t really have any recollection of what happened during that drive.

His point was that focus is key on a track, without it you’ll either suck and/or you’ll crash… and that we should all try to retain that focus on the road, as much as possible.

That stuck with me, I now make an active effort to worry about my driving and not touch my phone.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
I'm completely agree with @tmrqs.
We've all been there and I certainly don't want to moralize to anyone but having a few years on my shoulders and a few friends who didn't come home because of it, I feel like sharing a calculation with you.
If you get distracted for 3 seconds at 90 km/h, calculating that the car is in perfect condition, new tires and dry road surface, you travel about 75 meters completely “blind”!!!
To this you have to add the reaction time (estimated to be about 1 second) in which you travel another 25 meters and the action time (i.e. from the relief of the hazard to the pressure on the brake, time ranging from 0.8 to 1s) in which you travel another 25 meters.
At that time you begin braking, which takes about 35 meters to go from 90 to zero (assuming a fixed obstacle).
So at 90 km for losing focus on the road (and not braking earlier or adjusting speed accordingly) we have traveled about: 75 + 25 + 25 + 35 = 160 meters. Therefore, we must hope that we have no obstacles or intersections in the space of 160 meters.
I will add no more...

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm completely agree with @tmrqs.
We've all been there and I certainly don't want to moralize to anyone but having a few years on my shoulders and a few friends who didn't come home because of it, I feel like sharing a calculation with you.
If you get distracted for 3 seconds at 90 km/h, calculating that the car is in perfect condition, new tires and dry road surface, you travel about 75 meters completely “blind”!!!
To this you have to add the reaction time (estimated to be about 1 second) in which you travel another 25 meters and the action time (i.e. from the relief of the hazard to the pressure on the brake, time ranging from 0.8 to 1s) in which you travel another 25 meters.
At that time you begin braking, which takes about 35 meters to go from 90 to zero (assuming a fixed obstacle).
So at 90 km for losing focus on the road (and not braking earlier or adjusting speed accordingly) we have traveled about: 75 + 25 + 25 + 35 = 160 meters. Therefore, we must hope that we have no obstacles or intersections in the space of 160 meters.
I will add no more...
And that’s at 90km/h… we often drive faster than that.

Man, I miss the Porsche Track Experience sessions… I want to go back! 🙃