• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Mandatory Speed Limiter in EU Cars?

AllanG

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Macan S in Crayon
Country flag
Yes, this is true for all new cars sold in the EU from 07 July 2024.

Reactions: PAB

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
As far as I know, it is not a true automatic speed limiter (based on gps data and on-board camera detection) but a system of sensory alerts to the driver when the limit is exceeded. To date this system is already installed on my Tesla M3 (audible and visual warning) and I believe it will be the same system on Macan as well.
Although the limiter will be mandatory on every car, this system will also need to have a shut-off option. When the car is turned on, however, the automatic setting will have to provide for its activation.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Taycan Turbo S, Macan Turbo, 1971 Targa 911T
Country flag
As far as I know, it is not a true automatic speed limiter (based on gps data and on-board camera detection) but a system of sensory alerts to the driver when the limit is exceeded. To date this system is already installed on my Tesla M3 (audible and visual warning) and I believe it will be the same system on Macan as well.
Although the limiter will be mandatory on every car, this system will also need to have a shut-off option. When the car is turned on, however, the automatic setting will have to provide for its activation.
Thank you Diego for your informative response.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
REGULATION (EU) 2019/2144
09 - Safety features and warnings used in assisting driving should be easily perceivable by every driver, including the elderly and persons with disabilities

11 - It should be possible to switch off intelligent speed assistance, for instance, when a driver experiences false warnings or inappropriate feedback as a result of inclement weather conditions, temporarily conflicting road markings in construction zones, or misleading, defective or missing road signs. Such a switch-off feature should be under the control of the driver. It should allow for intelligent speed assistance to be switched off for as long as necessary and to be easily switched back on by the driver. When the system is switched off, information about the speed limit may be provided. The system should be always active when switching the ignition on and the driver should always be made aware of whether the system is on or off.

Regulation (EU) 2019/2144

Colin the Best

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupé Hybrid / 21 Taycan 4s perf.batt.plus
Country flag
On my taycan (2021) it already exists,...the only difference is that it doesn't start by default at every ignition but can be activated by the driver,....the car once the limit is reached doesn't go any further, otherwise you have to fully press the gas ...I think it is not difficult for Porsche to implement the function...

DuckMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 40i, TRD Taco, K1200RS. past: M5, M3, 135i S2.
Country flag
M5 and X5 had this but not auto activated. You set it to either detected speed limits or your own margin of ticket price tolerance. My M5 had been set at 4 mph on delivery so possibly not understood by dealer prep.