• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Peak power- reviewer saying it isn't only available for launch control

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'm unsure as to whether if he means from a standing start, or by flooring accelerator (and if so, is that from any pedal position or only from zero accelerator input)- BUT he explicitly says that unlike the Taycan, it doesn't require Launch Control, and it gives 10 seconds of power at the level stated by Porsche for Launch Control. I've not come across any corroboration from another source.
Video cued at relevant point-

miloshs

First Name
Milos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I've seen this as well, seems strange to me...

Me thinks Porsche would not advertise "Launch Control" if its also available outside launch of the car. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me this behavior as stated by Kyle would be free advertisement of added power by Porsche and they would not throw away this opportunity.

10 sec of added power during overtakes does sound amazing tho

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Me thinks Porsche would not advertise "Launch Control" if its also available outside launch of the car. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me this behavior as stated by Kyle would be free advertisement of added power by Porsche and they would not throw away this opportunity.
I agree, and that's why I'm doubting Kyle's understanding- perhaps he heard this during the car's development, but it's not something that has come in to production. I noticed in a video by another journalist who was in a prototype driven by a Porsche test driver, that the launch control process was started by a paddle on the steering wheel, and that's also not been carried through to production. Also, some videos of the facelift Taycan, probably the new GT 3 motor version, had a "push to pass" button which presumably activates a burst of overboost, so would expect the new Macan to use the same method if it is capable of overboost outside of launch control.

miloshs

First Name
Milos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Yep, and definitely not expecting "Overboost" to last 10 seconds.... 5 at most...

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
When the boost button is added to the drive selector we will have to pay. No way Porsche will just GIVE you a function. . .

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT ,Macan 4 ordered
Country flag
In the comments of the video, I asked Kyle to confirm his statements, I am waiting for his response with hope..
A French tester said the same thing as Kyle.
My ICE Macan S had a boost button in the middle of the drive selector , it does not exist here .

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've just come across this on the Porsche website, in the section titled Important information about all-electric Porsche models - I don't know if predates the Macan and if so whether it still applies, but here it is anyway:
"The specified power is available for at least 10 seconds and the specified overboost with standard launch control for at least 2.5 seconds."
...so maybe Kyle's statement stems from a misunderstanding of the distinction between those 2 points?
link https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/bev/

Wawando

First Name
Filipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT GTS, 992 4s Cab, Macan EV Turbo ordered
Country flag
The 10s are mentioned in the purchase contract of my future Macan EV Turbo (that I signed today ;))

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT ,Macan 4 ordered
Country flag
The 10s are mentioned in the purchase contract of my future Macan EV Turbo (that I signed today ;))
This is good news .....but it does not guarantee the final result ;)

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
This is good news .....but it does not guarantee the final result ;)
I think that the Porsche link I posted upthread is referring to normal max power when it states "at least 10 seconds", rather than launch max power which is for 2.5 seconds. Apparently, the regulations require that the claimed (normal max) power level is able to be sustained for up to 10 seconds. Here's a statement on the Porsche Germany website-

Information on performance data for fully electric Porsche models
The maximum drive power of a fully electric vehicle depends on different requirements than the maximum drive power of a vehicle with a combustion engine. In order to achieve the best possible comparability and reproducible results, Porsche determines the drive power of its fully electric models in accordance with the specifications of the UN Global Technical Regulation No. 21 (GTR21) and the UN ECE R-85.

The performance measurement is carried out with a sufficiently charged battery on a temperature-controlled test stand. The maximum power is present for the duration specified in the standard, which is 2 to 10 seconds depending on the measurement method.

The GTR21 does not provide for measurements with a standing start. To determine the launch control performance, Porsche slightly modified the measurement procedure and accelerated the vehicle from a standstill with activated launch control to a reference speed. The measurement starts as soon as the vehicle accelerates under full load.

The drive power available in real driving operation can be significantly below the values determined on the test bench. Important influencing factors include the duration of the power requirement, the speed range, the state of charge and the temperature of the battery and drives.