• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Why not animal free ?

Zen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda / Kia
Country flag
Disappointing the augmented heads up display seem only available along with an unwanted leather option in the configurator.
I was hoping this new Macan would be possible animal free..!!.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Disappointing the augmented heads up display seem only available along with an unwanted leather option in the configurator.
I was hoping this new Macan would be possible animal free..!!.
It is. Base trim with Race Tex Steering wheel. My Macan4 spec is vegan

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Yr right about HUD.
Can’t have it without Leather.
How odd.
I was thinking about it but never put in configurator. Until now.
Definitely not having it now.
I want base Trim. No leather.
I am not vegan or even veggie.
Just don’t like leather.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda / Kia
Country flag
Yr right about HUD.
Can’t have it without Leather.
How odd.
I was thinking about it but never put in configurator. Until now.
Definitely not having it now.
I want base Trim. No leather.
I am not vegan or even veggie.
Just don’t like leather.
For me that new HUD is something that I'd certainly be wanting as an option.... but the leather condition makes it a no go now.
I was also after a rear wiper but not available with acoustic glass for some strange reason.
I've decided to wait for more info about the Audi Q6 e-tron ... I've a feeling that might be more vegetarian friendly !!.
Hope so anyway !!.

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS MY22 I Macan 4S PSZUSJE6 Jet Black
Country flag
It is. Base trim with Race Tex Steering wheel. My Macan4 spec is vegan
people, as if we are not slaughtering cows anyway…humans like to eat meat…so I suppose we might as well use the cow hide on the internal fittings of the Macan. Are YOU vegan as well, or you only want you Macan to be vegan? :giggle:

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For me that new HUD is something that I'd certainly be wanting as an option.... but the leather condition makes it a no go now.
I was also after a rear wiper but not available with acoustic glass for some strange reason.
I've decided to wait for more info about the Audi Q6 e-tron ... I've a feeling that might be more vegetarian friendly !!.
Hope so anyway !!.
I have a new theory that people liking EVs are also after vegan interiors :giggle:
but as with every theory or rule, exceptions are allowed ( it’s me :clap: )

OP
OP

Zen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda / Kia
Country flag
I have a new theory that people liking EVs are also after vegan interiors :giggle:
but as with every theory or rule, exceptions are allowed ( it’s me :clap: )
Haha...yes there's probably more chance EV owners would want vegan interiors because EV's are presently a choice purchase and linked to saving the planet etc ..... Vegans/vegetarianism fits in with that.😉

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
people, as if we are not slaughtering cows anyway…humans like to eat meat…so I suppose we might as well use the cow hide on the internal fittings of the Macan. Are YOU vegan as well, or you only want you Macan to be vegan? :giggle:
I am not vegan or even vegetarian and I have leather shoes but I do want to save the planet! I try to eat responsibly sourced organic beef and eat other meat that had a smaller carbon footprint.
I don’t fly anywhere.
I drive to Europe in an electric Porsche for holidays. Driving to French Alps at Easter.

The PRIMARY reason that my Macan is vegan is I like to sit on cloth or Alcantara. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Also I love a Race Tex wheel. Warm and fuzzy when heated. No sweaty palms.
£500 for the Sports wheel, heated, in RaceTex in the Mac 4 is a relative bargain for Porsche and I don’t need the crappy S Chrono clock to have the nicer wheel.
I love the fact that base trim in Cayboxsterman is Race Tex.
Cheapest version. Best material.
My next car after this years EV Mac 4 is an EV Cayman, base trim, smallest battery, least power, when the kids have effed off. 👍

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find alcantara / race-tex hard to maintain, especially in places where your skin is in full contact, like steering wheel and seats. The skin oils penetrate it and it wears out, being flat and not pleasant anymore. It’s like wearing suede leather shoes, very hard to keep looking good.

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I find alcantara / race-tex hard to maintain, especially in places where your skin is in full contact, like steering wheel and seats. The skin oils penetrate it and it wears out, being flat and not pleasant anymore. It’s like wearing suede leather shoes, very hard to keep looking good.
Yep, any car groomer will tell you to avoid RaceTex or Alcantara on steering wheels. I have it on my RS3 and I am super OCD, even then it looks a bit worn.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Leather I find harder to maintain.
I always scratch the wheel with a nail sooner rather than later and rough spots appear and are impossible to get rid of.

You can’t scratch Alcantara and it comes back to life with a wash.
Toothbrush and very mild diluted detergent.

2 years with a Race Tex GTS. 2kids. The only visible damage is a scratch on the leather between the rear seats and the a scratch on a rear leather door cap and water damage to the leather rear arm rest from spilt drink.
The only way to sort this would be to re-upholster the areas. Just imagine the cost £££££££$$$$$$$$€€€€€€

All the Race Tex, including the wheel, is immaculate.

Just my experience.

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Leather I find harder to maintain.
I always scratch the wheel with a nail sooner rather than later and rough spots appear and are impossible to get rid of.

You can’t scratch Alcantara and it comes back to life with a wash.
Toothbrush and very mild diluted detergent.

2 years with a Race Tex GTS. 2kids. The only visible damage is a scratch on the leather between the rear seats and the a scratch on a rear leather door cap and water damage to the leather rear arm rest from spilt drink.
The only way to sort this would be to re-upholster the areas. Just imagine the cost £££££££$$$$$$$$€€€€€€

All the Race Tex, including the wheel, is immaculate.

Just my experience.
No one taught me the trick with the toothbrush…but mum taught me to clip my fingernails, so maybe 🤔 that’s why I’m sticking with pure leather :clap:
Isn’t it wonderful we have all options we wish for?

In my last AMG I had to accept the alcantara steering wheel even I didn’t want it. Had to buy myself a pair of leather driving gloves. On the upside, I could use the glovebox to store them there.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
No one taught me the trick with the toothbrush…but mum taught me to clip my fingernails, so maybe 🤔 that’s why I’m sticking with pure leather :clap:
Isn’t it wonderful we have all options we wish for?

In my last AMG I had to accept the alcantara steering wheel even I didn’t want it. Had to buy myself a pair of leather driving gloves. On the upside, I could use the glovebox to store them there.
I have to trim my fingernails regularly for 2 unconnected reasons..
Dentistry and Water Polo. Still scratched my 4S wheel in 3 places.
Maybe its just me? My Alcantara wheel remains mint in my GTS and I have
had it longer and driven more miles!

Last edited:

julian

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The Taycan leather-free interior package with the pepita seats looks really nice. Wish that were an option on Macan EV!

OP
OP

Zen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Skoda / Kia
Country flag
The Taycan leather-free interior package with the pepita seats looks really nice. Wish that were an option on Macan EV!
Totally agree....I've a feeling when Porsche expands the Macan EV range we'll have leather free options....but it's so annoying and a real shame they haven't made that available right at the beginning.....and to rub salt into the wound if the augmented reality HUD is optioned there's a compulsory full leather dash that comes with it which adds £1k or so to the price...what's all that about ? !!.
I'm now waiting to see if the Audi Q6 e-tron has a leather free config.....hopefully it will have..!!.