• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Long distance travel, using Tesla Superchargers and internal navigation

Porsche-ed

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan 4; Tesla model 3 Highland
Country flag
I am new to this forum. I have been driving electric cars since 2016. In addition to several Teslas (3P, SLR, SP), BMW (i4, i5) and Audi (etron GT) driven.

For longer distances in Europe I only want to use Tesla Superchargers. From experience they are the most reliable and the Macan has the charger port in the right place so great!

Now I am planning a route in the app. In doing so I have planned several intermediate stops. Example SC in Oberhonnefeld, Weibersbrunn, Hilpoltstein and Brunnthal in Germany. The Porsche Routeplanner has these as intermediate stops and not as charge stops. Does anyone have a tip on how to plan these stops as charge stops?

Background: I would like to use the Porsche planner, because the navigation integration with the headups display is really great. And in addition, Macan will then preheat the battery itself at every stop. :)

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW i5, MB C-Class
Country flag
I am new to this forum. I have been driving electric cars since 2016. In addition to several Teslas (3P, SLR, SP), BMW (i4, i5) and Audi (etron GT) driven.

For longer distances in Europe I only want to use Tesla Superchargers. From experience they are the most reliable and the Macan has the charger port in the right place so great!

Now I am planning a route in the app. In doing so I have planned several intermediate stops. Example SC in Oberhonnefeld, Weibersbrunn, Hilpoltstein and Brunnthal in Germany. The Porsche Routeplanner has these as intermediate stops and not as charge stops. Does anyone have a tip on how to plan these stops as charge stops?

Background: I would like to use the Porsche planner, because the navigation integration with the headups display is really great. And in addition, Macan will then preheat the battery itself at every stop. :)
If it's anything like the Taycan, you won't be able to tell it which charge stops to use. The best you can do is navigate to somewhere immediately adjacent to the charge stop and hope it selects your desired charge stop. Also, if it's like the Taycan, navigating directly to a charger will not trigger pre-heating of the battery.

I did see on a pre-launch video that the PCM did appear to allow you select a preferred charging provider, but this has been removed from production models. I've no idea why. I have the ability to do that on my BMW i5 and it works a treat. I've also no idea why it doesn't pre-heat the battery if you navigate to a charger, as why else would you be navigating there?

One question, though. Why are you determined to stick to Tesla SC? I've used almost all Ionity for my pan-European travel in my two Taycans, and they've 99% of the time been flawless. The cable is also on the correct side for the Macan. And it's also cheaper than Tesla in a lot of places, if via the Porsche Charging Service.

The one time I've used a Tesla SC, it was very slow, and that was after trying to start a charge on another unit which didn't work.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
Not tried a Tesla SuC but to a Ionity and a third party charging station selected on the PCM, the car activated the battery pre-heating (battery temperature reached 26/28°C)

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
Quite right Throb
Ionity is much faster and the deal with Porsche is much cheaper.
Its something like 30p per kWh, and its for three year. Is that right?

OP
OP

Porsche-ed

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan 4; Tesla model 3 Highland
Country flag
I prefeer the Telsa SC, because of very bad experiences with Ionity in winter period during serveral trips to France. To be frank those were 2 years ago and with an Audi e-Tron.
Going on a trip to Germany in two weeks. Will see whether the Tesla SC work fine with the Macan. Thanks for your thoughts.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not tried a Tesla SuC but to a Ionity and a third party charging station selected on the PCM, the car activated the battery pre-heating (battery temperature reached 26/28°C)
Can you confirm that when you say the battery pre-heated, was it as part of a longer journey and the Porsche Charging Planner chose those chargers as a charging stop, or did you select a charger as a destination? On the Taycan, the latter doesn't pre-heat.

I also don't know why there's no ability to manually activate battery pre-heating as there is on the BMW i5.

Quite right Throb
Ionity is much faster and the deal with Porsche is much cheaper.
Its something like 30p per kWh, and its for three year. Is that right?
If it's the legacy Porsche Charging Service i.e. before Porsche Charging Service Plus was introduced, then yes, 30p/kWh on Ionity. Porsche Charging Plus, however, is not as good, and Ionity is now 39p/kWh.

Anybody getting a new Porsche now will only be offered the "Plus" option.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
@Throb the first case you wrote. It was a stop part of a longer trip and the Planner choose it. Had to try the second tomorrow.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Throb the first case you wrote. It was a stop part of a longer trip and the Planner choose it. Had to try the second tomorrow.
OK, that is normal. It'll be interesting to see if it pre-heats if the charger is an actual destination.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
Anybody getting a new Porsche now will only be offered the "Plus" option.
Oh, I see...
Is it still for three years?
By the way, at 39p/kWh is still cheaper for me than charging at street poles on ubitricity tariffs, living in a flat.

Last edited:

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, I see...
Is it still for three years?
By the way, for me at 39p/kWh is still cheaper for me than charging at street poles on ubitricity tariffs, living in a flat.
I believe it's still 3 years, yes.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
Just checked: 3 years and it's only Porsche Charging Service Plus