• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Apple CarPlay & MyPorsche app [updated for climate control]

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
While I think itā€™s pretty cool and thatā€™s another good step in the direction of better interfacing the car with CarPlay - donā€™t find it particularly useful (even through Siri).

The Macan will have physical switches to quickly adjust all that, thatā€™s the most efficient way of doing it.

Wish they would rather better interface with Apple Maps: allowing the battery to precondition on a route that requires charging, or displaying Apple Maps in the HUD for instance.

Baby steps I guess. :)

Last edited:

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
If only Apple Maps was any good - on my current BMW BEV, I use Waze or Google Maps (foregoing the HUD visibility) for far greater accuracy (in the UK anyway).

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
If only Apple Maps was any good - on my current BMW BEV, I use Waze or Google Maps (foregoing the HUD visibility) for far greater accuracy (in the UK anyway).
Itā€™s not the best in Europe (use it extensively in France when I travel back) but in the US, itā€™s very solid and my first choice. With Waze in the background to get a heads up on where the police is. šŸ™ƒ

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I used Apple Maps exclusively and extensively in my last trip to Europe a few weeks ago - 5 weeks travel in total. Used for navigation, walking, London Underground - absolutely no issues and vastly superior to Google Maps in CarPlay. The Google Maps lane guidance and general graphical representation of the route really sucks these days.

Also very impressed with all the POI information quality in Apple Maps now - it knew of every single European POI we navigated to with no dramas at all.

Try it, you will not go back.

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
Iā€™ve tried it and only recently switched away - doesnā€™t pick up traffic jams/delays/diversions.

Agree itā€™s great for walking but fk all use while driving.

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It definitely picks up traffic jams and diversions when I use it.

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
It definitely picks up traffic jams and diversions when I use it.
As mentioned, itā€™s not so good in the UK for motorway diversion and road closures in suburban areas.

Similarly, it picks the same route from A to B, regardless of time of day and underlying traffic conditions.

If it works for you, great. Iā€™ll stick with Waze or Google Maps

Agree, junction and road graphics are much better with Apple but it canā€™t do the basics.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
I solely use Apple Maps now, its interface is mature (Waze and google maps look like they are designed by and for a 10 year old). I frequently test them side by side in 99% they calculate the same routes. POI are really cool and I can see my next EV station by selecting add stop and then filtering on EV station. Rerouting is proposed when something has changed ā€¦ Best of all it gives directions in my BMW HUD, I really hope it will do that as well in the Porsche ā€¦

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As mentioned, itā€™s not so good in the UK for motorway diversion and road closures in suburban areas.

Similarly, it picks the same route from A to B, regardless of time of day and underlying traffic conditions.

If it works for you, great. Iā€™ll stick with Waze or Google Maps

Agree, junction and road graphics are much better with Apple but it canā€™t do the basics.
Just not my experience at all, and I just spent two weeks driving around the UK - the routes Definitely varied based on traffic and I even experienced a suggested diversion about part of the M25 that saved 29 minutes of traffic.

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
Just not my experience at all, and I just spent two weeks driving around the UK - the routes Definitely varied based on traffic and I even experienced a suggested diversion about part of the M25 that saved 29 minutes of traffic.
Horses for courses, I used to use it for all journeys, long and short.

it was better in Europe, for sure plus the benefit of clearer indication of junctions and exits/turn-offs was a godsend.

Regardless, we really want Porsche to do a decent CarPlay integration!