• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rear Wiper Option -- Effect on Rear Glass Visibility?

AllanG

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Macan S in Crayon
Country flag
For those that have received their Macan EVs, if you didn’t spec the rear wiper option, does the rear glass screen get as dirty as the ICE Macan screen when driving in wet conditions?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Dust, mud, salt, snow, … all will accumulate on the rear window.

OP
OP
AllanG

AllanG

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dust, mud, salt, snow, … all will accumulate on the rear window.
I’m aware of that, but what I want to know is do you need the rear wiper on the EV, which is standard and essential on ICE Macan’s.

Pitteken

First Name
Maarten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan 4 Dolomite Silver
Country flag
rain drops accumulate so I am glad I took it. on the other side: the rear view through the back window is limited. I can t see the radiator grill of the cars behind me because the window is very narrow to look through.

n4v4nod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Macan 4, 2024 Spyder RS
Country flag
rain drops accumulate so I am glad I took it. on the other side: the rear view through the back window is limited. I can t see the radiator grill of the cars behind me because the window is very narrow to look through.
Same! I'm surprised how short the rear hatch window is compared to the ICE Macan. Quite the difference. Making it even more important the ability to keep clean.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m aware of that, but what I want to know is do you need the rear wiper on the EV, which is standard and essential on ICE Macan’s.
If you’re aware crap will accumulate, you have the answer to your question: the rear wiper will be very useful - unless you live somewhere always no sunny and watch the car weekly. 😉

OP
OP
AllanG

AllanG

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you’re aware crap will accumulate, you have the answer to your question: the rear wiper will be very useful - unless you live somewhere always no sunny and watch the car weekly. 😉
So, I take it that you’ve ordered this option? 😉

Another reason for my question, is that I’ve seen a lot of reviews of models without the rear wiper, so was wondering if the new design of the tailgate reduces the muck dragged up onto the screen when driving, compared to the ICE Macan.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I take it that you’ve ordered this option? 😉

Another reason for my question, is that I’ve seen a lot of reviews of models without the rear wiper, so was wondering if the new design of the tailgate reduces the muck dragged up onto the screen when driving, compared to the ICE Macan.
Ah you know it! Currently have a Ioniq 5 without rear wiper and it’s a pain.

The rear wiper has been discussed extensively here in the past weeks/months. Some are hoping that X-rain will be enough but I’d bet good money it’s a losing battle.

Salmonfisher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2 plus/pilot
Country flag
I’m coming from a Polestar which doesn’t have option of rear wiper. Never missed it apart from when stationary in traffic in heavy rain. No build up at all. I did spec it and my SA said they strongly advise against it as afffect on range is much more than you would think and not needed. He was adamant so I deleted it.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
I’m coming from a Polestar which doesn’t have option of rear wiper. Never missed it apart from when stationary in traffic in heavy rain. No build up at all. I did spec it and my SA said they strongly advise against it as afffect on range is much more than you would think and not needed. He was adamant so I deleted it.
Most sedans are without rear wiper. The back of the Macan is also quite like that.
So, I specced without it. Besides, when in rain, if you turn on the rear window glass heating, the visibility improves.