• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

"UK Inches Closer To Eliminating Private Car Ownership" Article

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
To me this reads like a very biased and sensational article, not at all backed by the actual statements and ideas. I see nothing about eliminating private ownership of anything. It didn't sound right from this post, so I had to read it. Sheesh.

P.S. One of the MANY purposeful misstatements in the articles the assumption that forcing people to EVs is making them pay more for a car, while those of us who actually have owned EVs for a long time and actually see what is happening are seeing how the price of EVs and ICE cars are getting closer and closer as EVs start REMOTELY being produced in larger quantities. So by the time they are dominant they will match or be cheaper than ICE.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Letā€™s hope itā€™s true. It suggests that private car ownership will be the reserve of the rich - so everyone on this forum who owns a Taycan should qualify. Is there anyone here who would not pay extra to have less traffic on the roads?

Possibly a non -PC view there which might generate some discussion!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Possibly a non -PC view there which might generate some discussion!
I donā€™t personally care about PC vs non-PC, but I do care about accuracy, fact and data vs propaganda, misinformation and fear generating hype to push a political viewpoint. Donā€™t care which end of the spectrum it comes from. This smacks of the latter to me anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
From the article: " Well, time has vindicated my stance and people in the UK are starting to wake up to the very real possibility they would be completely dependent on the government to be driven anywhere."

You know, only yesterday I was telling my neighbour that I'm getting quite cross with the devil-worshipping baby-eating shapeshifting alien lizards who've infiltrated British elite...they might have enslaved us with their face mask enforcement, but I'd rather crawl 5 miles on my hands and knees than give in to their perverted masterplan to make me get on the number 42 bus.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What a load of bo11ocks.....

Its a country where people prefer to buy their houses (not rent like much of Europe) and look after their cars - meticulously washing them on the drive every Sunday......before mowing the lawn!

Think it would work better in cities with high levels of rented apartments (where people don't own cars anyway) and tend to use public transport. Be that in the UK or anywhere else in the world.......but probably less so in the UK.

Also a country where people tend to actually do what the Govt requests.
With Covid now showing that most Brits much prefer making their own rules up and just ignoring any Government legislation (rightly or wrongly).

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Britain used to have an empire. Now its just a comedy show. Given I am in a middle level country with a big southern neighbor who has gotten weird and we need some friends, I am thinking Norway looks like a candidate, provided it doesn't do the boats with the horned helmets anymore.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I am in a middle level country with a big southern neighbor who has gotten weird
Weird is good! Sometimes.

Like in the saying: "Keep Austin weird" . For those if you not in U.S., Austin is the capital of Texas, a great funky city with great music. :)