• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Macan EV 4 - is it really worth it ?

PorscheGuyFromAZ

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Cayenne S and 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It’s still new tech, overall but mostly for Porsche, so unsure how well built/thought through it is. Maybe I’m overthinking it, I should read more about how the Taycan is doing after a few years.
I own an 2020 Taycan Turbo and it will soon be in its 5th year of service. It has been both a blast to drive and it’s been very reliable. It’s high quality all the way and, IMHO, you are overthinking it regarding your potential purchase of a Macan EV. Taycan was Porsche’s first EV and it is awesome. Now Porsche has had 5 years of experience and learning from the Taycan as they were developing and designing the Macan. The Macan EV will, from a reliability standpoint, almost surely be even better than the Taycan. If you can afford a Macan EV, I suggest you stop thinking and start configuring and ordering! 😊

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
I own an 2020 Taycan Turbo and it will soon be in its 5th year of service. It has been both a blast to drive and it’s been very reliable. It’s high quality all the way and, IMHO, you are overthinking it regarding your potential purchase of a Macan EV. Taycan was Porsche’s first EV and it is awesome. Now Porsche has had 5 years of experience and learning from the Taycan as they were developing and designing the Macan. The Macan EV will, from a reliability standpoint, almost surely be even better than the Taycan. If you can afford a Macan EV, I suggest you stop thinking and start configuring and ordering! 😊
You might be right.

It’s all configured, just debating on 20” vs 21” (ride comfort/range/not as nice looking vs better looks/better grip/higher replacement cost) and car color (Dolomite vs Ice Grey).
Oh and whether the Sport Chrono package makes sense - seeing as I’m not convinced I’ll take it to a track.

PorscheGuyFromAZ

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Cayenne S and 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You might be right.

It’s all configured, just debating on 20” vs 21” (ride comfort/range/not as nice looking vs better looks/better grip/higher replacement cost) and car color (Dolomite vs Ice Grey).
Oh and whether the Sport Chrono package makes sense - seeing as I’m not convinced I’ll take it to a track.
I have 20” wheels on my Taycan Turbo and I like them for the smoother ride and I also believe with the Turbo Aero wheels I get a bit more range than I would if the wheels were 21” and had a more open design like the Mission E wheels. Thinking about replacement costs of the tires is smart on your part. Since the Macan EV is actually heavier than the Taycan, it will chew up tires pretty quickly. Since my Taycan electricity costs are a bit less than $0.04 per mile driven, tires are my single greatest expense. Even more costly than insurance believe it or not.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thinking about replacement costs of the tires is smart on your part. Since the Macan EV is actually heavier than the Taycan, it will chew up tires pretty quickly. Since my Taycan electricity costs are a bit less than $0.04 per mile driven, tires are my single greatest expense. Even more costly than insurance believe it or not.
Totally. At the same time, also not loving the base Turbo wheels (be it in 20” or 21”). Find the 21” Design Wheels look quite nice.

Ah, if only I could see all of these in person, would be easier to make up my mind.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
The out of spec range test has the 20’s in all black … they do look “OK” but the aero 21 inch in complete black look better …

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The out of spec range test has the 20’s in all black … they do look “OK” but the aero 21 inch in complete black look better …
I don’t believe I have seen the 21” aero in complete black. Both 20” and 21” have silver on them in the configuration, no?

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
I don’t believe I have seen the 21” aero in complete black. Both 20” and 21” have silver on them in the configuration, no?
Indeed, aftermarket paint job. But quite strange all the test cars from Porsche have complete black rims …

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed, aftermarket paint job. But quite strange all the test cars from Porsche have complete black rims …
Think it’s just part of their camo approach: no badges, everything black, hiding details as much as possible.

Not sure they would want to sell them, they look quite plain.

GMPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan Base
Country flag
Ihandling is still great (for an EV) but with the heavy battery and more than 2.3 tons, it's as best as it can be but not close to ICE cars
Are there road tests of EVs that back up this assertion? If so, I have not seen them. I understand that the additional weight creates issues, for example, with regard to tires, but I'm not convinced that one can assert that the added weight must necessarily degrade handling.

The Macan EV is built on a platform designed specifically for EVs and has been tuned accordingly. I look forward to seeing actual road tests of this new model.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I understand that the additional weight creates issues, for example, with regard to tires, but I'm not convinced that one can assert that the added weight must necessarily degrade handling.
It's physics. The heavier the object, the harder it is to change its trajectory. Unless you manage to change traction proportionally to weight, heavier car will always handle worse. If you look at how EV's race through turns, slow-in, fast-out. They make up in acceleration what they lose in handling, but the fastest cars around a track are still the lighter ones.

GMPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan Base
Country flag
It's physics. The heavier the object, the harder it is to change its trajectory. Unless you manage to change traction proportionally to weight, heavier car will always handle worse. If you look at how EV's race through turns, slow-in, fast-out. They make up in acceleration what they lose in handling, but the fastest cars around a track are still the lighter ones.
What about the placement of the weight? One of the reasons I bought the base ICE Macan was after reading that the added 140 lbs. for the S placed ahead of the front axle would degrade handling. And I definitely love how my Macan handles. The EV has nearly all its weight distributed evenly, low and between the axles. I understand that the EV would handle differently with a lighter battery pack than a heavier one, but I have no idea how the EV will handle compared to the ICE models. I also live in Washington State, and I would hate to think that the EV would feel less nimble.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
What about the placement of the weight? One of the reasons I bought the base ICE Macan was after reading that the added 140 lbs. for the S placed ahead of the front axle would degrade handling. And I definitely love how my Macan handles. The EV has nearly all its weight distributed evenly, low and between the axles. I understand that the EV would handle differently with a lighter battery pack than a heavier one, but I have no idea how the EV will handle compared to the ICE models. I also live in Washington State, and I would hate to think that the EV would feel less nimble.
Test drive some to get a feel. Comparing 911 to a Taycan for example, yes Taycan has lower center of gravity with its massive battery, but it is a heavy beast compared to a 911. Taycan is the best handing EV I've had so far, but you can definitely feel the weight when braking and cornering. you cannot beat the instant acceleration of an EV though, and for me the quietness too. It's still my first choice for every day driving, road tripping, occasional fun spirited driving. If I wanted a purely track car though, I would go for something lighter, probably a 911. Macan is not a track car though, if you're getting a small SUV anyways, might as well go EV. It is a personal preference however, so I will reiterate my advice, test drive some EVs to get an idea if it's for you.