• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
During the Developers Conference this past week, Apple provided more details around their new CarPlay. They focused on how customizable the interface is, which has been recurring complaint.

Porsche was announced to be one of the firsts to embrace it, although no word on which model.
Curious to see if that will pan out, and whether other brands will give it a go as well.

Article from InsideEVs

Apple session about it

nulled

First Name
Dimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
From a design perspective Porsche had done a good job with the UI. Considering that screens make huge portion of the dash, making it one huge iPhone will destroy the identity of the car and the brand. Very much against that full integration.

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From a design perspective Porsche had done a good job with the UI. Considering that screens make huge portion of the dash, making it one huge iPhone will destroy the identity of the car and the brand. Very much against that full integration.
Seeing as the interface can be fully customized by the brands (colors, shapes, what items are shown, etc), I don't think the identity would necessarily be destroyed.

What you seem to think about it having the current CarPlay experience on every screen, that would be the "huge iPhone" you talk about.
Here it's an entirely new interface that could even mimic the current UI - totally different experience than the CarPlay we have today.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Porsche can completely adjust the design widgets to size of fonts / thickness of lines / angle of corners etc ā€¦
The big advantage is that it can blend with Apple CarPlay apps ā€¦

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nil - Macan 4 EV (Sept '24 Production)
Country flag
Whilst we all can hope for this to happen, honestly unless it's been already 'announced' as a major feature (which, imo this is), i don't take it as a great sign... That and the fact that this new Macan EV PCM is Android Auto based (what my SA told me) doesn't give me hope that new CarPlay is the way they've moved with this.

I'd absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong though.... This and the Digital Key feature (something I think most of us would love) are things that i think are quite 'loud' in their absence in the press releases/announcements.

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Screenshot from the Porsche website. This looks to me like a more carplay-focused UI? The taycan I just drove did not have the ability to display apple maps in the instrument cluster

SchermĀ­afbeelding 2024-08-16 om 21.54.39.png
Thatā€™s definitely an interesting find - Thanks for highlighting. At first glance i thought it was just the default Nav until I saw the Apple Maps theme/colours. Even if it isnā€™t the whole 9-yards in terms of new CarPlay, itā€™d be a good step - ceding the main area of the dash to a 3rd party is a pretty big deal (especially over the default Nav).

What remains to be seen (if hopefully the above is true) is whether this carries/integrates with other hardware (predominantly the HUD) or purely just display - this has been the main gripe with my current vehicles where the HUD guidance directions remain solely for the Manufacturer Nav whilst the centre console via CarPlay shows a third-party app like Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps.

Hopefully some interesting times ahead!

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€™s definitely an interesting find - Thanks for highlighting. At first glance i thought it was just the default Nav until I saw the Apple Maps theme/colours. Even if it isnā€™t the whole 9-yards in terms of new CarPlay, itā€™d be a good step - ceding the main area of the dash to a 3rd party is a pretty big deal (especially over the default Nav).

What remains to be seen (if hopefully the above is true) is whether this carries/integrates with other hardware (predominantly the HUD) or purely just display - this has been the main gripe with my current vehicles where the HUD guidance directions remain solely for the Manufacturer Nav whilst the centre console via CarPlay shows a third-party app like Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps.

Hopefully some interesting times ahead!
Itā€™s been mentioned in another thread (Iā€™ll see if I can find) that Porsche is starting to allow Apple Maps to be displayed in the dash behind the wheel. A couple of cars have it.

Seems however it remains just the dash, no HUD. šŸ˜¢

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Itā€™s been mentioned in another thread (Iā€™ll see if I can find) that Porsche is starting to allow Apple Maps to be displayed in the dash behind the wheel. A couple of cars have it.

Seems however it remains just the dash, no HUD. šŸ˜¢
Oh wow, didnā€™t know that feature had been rolled-out to in-production models already. I mean itā€™s at least a step in the right direction - baby steps I guess. :)

On the HUD - thinking about it a bit moreā€¦. Unless thereā€™s an agreed standard for all 3rd party Nav to send instructions in a specified format so a HUD/PCM could read, I can also understand the need to keep this ā€˜proprietaryā€™ for now. Probably why theyā€™re just starting with the ā€˜largestā€™ players (Iā€™m wildly guessing Google Maps/Waze and Apple Maps).

Not only that, but the fact that this HUD has augmented reality - overlaying instructions for those (I would guess) also be yet another complication on top of a pretty challenging issue.

Oh well - we can Hopeā€¦