• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

How useful is the heated windscreen option on a Macan EV?

Jonny McCann

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 Electric
Country flag
I guess that not many Macan EV users would yet have experienced a severe frost, but does anyone know how effective the Macan EV heated windscreen is compared to just the standard spec?

I’ve found heated windscreens to be fantastic in ICE vehicles, but have no idea how more quickly they might defrost an iced EV windscreen compared to one without the option.

Do any contributors to this forum have any experience of the heated windscreen?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the heated windscreen uses electrical power as the heating power source.

the heated windscreen uses 250 kW of power - with the 100/95 kWh battery on the Macan you can run the heated windscreen for about 3 min before you hit 0% on the battery

it's a range killer no doubt…

just kidding - I couldn't resist!! :CWL: :rock: ;)

Pitteken

First Name
Maarten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan 4 Dolomite Silver
Country flag
did not order it because you can preheat your car. The only reason I can think of is to remove damp fast or when you forgot to preheat and it freezes. my previous cars could all preheat and I never felt that i missed the windscreen screen heater.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I guess that not many Macan EV users would yet have experienced a severe frost, but does anyone know how effective the Macan EV heated windscreen is compared to just the standard spec?

I’ve found heated windscreens to be fantastic in ICE vehicles, but have no idea how more quickly they might defrost an iced EV windscreen compared to one without the option.

Do any contributors to this forum have any experience of the heated windscreen?
I have no reason to believe it's substantially different vs. the ICE version - and there is no data/evidence that it's different - there is also no technical EV-based reason it would need to be different - there are some things that must be new/different when moving from an ICE to EV vehicle - but an electrically heated windshield is not something that needs to be new/different for an EV…it just requires an interface/adapter to get it's power from the onboard 800V "main battery"…

most EV's retain the 12V electrical system and technologies from 80 years worth of supply chain evolution - and while there is a 12V battery in the vehicle there is no alternator - so there is a DC/DC converter in the vehicle that bridges the 800/400V main battery (DC power) onto the 12V DC power bus for the vehicle - the main 800/400V battery provides reliable and ample 12V power to both the 12V "starter" battery and the 12V systems in the vehicle- most of which are identical their ICE counterpart - it's just to much work to covert all the existing components to 400/800V native - it's much simpler (more efficient) to use the existing parts catalog of 12V components and provide a 800/400V to 12V DC/DC converter - and voliå you can now use your existing automotive supply chain parts catalog for all the things you need for an eV that are not different from an ICE vehicle.

I would expect similar/identical performance to the ICE version since both are run off the vehicle's 12V power system…

I would be deeply deeply surprised if it wasn't an almost identical part/implementation vs. the ICE Macan…

once you get into areas like this EV's have more in common with ICE cars that most people realize.

I'm not sayhing the Macan EV windshield is identical to the Macan ICE windshield - I'm sure the dimesions are different as well and cut outs and driving aids and such - but the core design/technology is most likely identical and it's integrated into the vehicle in an identical manner - it would be nearly impossible to imagine a different implementation for this particular feature - and therefore it should perform identically to the ICE version.

Last edited: