• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Is it possible to power things in my house with the Macan in case of power outage?

quaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan EV
Country flag
I would just really want to power my router and modem which are in the garage right next to where it is parked, how would I go about doing this? I have heard other EV's are able to power appliances and a bunch of other stuff when the power goes out. This is my first EV so completely new to all this.

fubar.droid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
It does not have V2L so you can't directly but I believe the AC outlet option provides 150W, which you could use to power a router and modem.

You could also connect directly into the 12V and probably get much more out of it, like 500W, but I have no idea if the traction battery will keep it charged automatically when the 12V is getting drained and you are not plugged in to a wall connector (which obv won't work during a power outage). Some cars do and some don't and no idea if Macan specifically does.

What I'm planning to do is get like a 2kWh battery like an Ecoflow and then use that to power my fridge and anything else during a power outage and use the Macan to charge the Ecoflow battery.

Last edited:

craz8

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS, BMW Z8
Country flag
For the general case, the Macan won't be able to 'power your house'.

However, if you option the power outlet in the trunk, you'll have the ability to plug things in up to 150w, which might be enough to run your network hardware. My Eero Max 7 uses almost 22w, my cable modem may use about the same, so both could be powered with some left over to plug in a charger for your phone (although there are also USB-C and 12v power options for that type of device)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
answer is yes and no - there is an optional AC outlet in the trunk area but only for 100watts of less so not a lot of power there...

the "best" way to power your home from an eV is with a 12V inverter clamped directly to the 12V battery - and then leave the car on - the "big" battery will charge the "small" battery and you can power some stuff

something like this could do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpart-Inve...89049&sprefix=12v+inverte,aps,206&sr=8-7&th=1

but this is a YMMV situation and different EV's will respond differently to being used like this - so while this is feasible it's not recommended…

but yeah you can power your home from an EV or ICE vehicle if you're willing to work with a 12V inverter…but it's not ideal and may have unintended side effects....

the best solution is a Solar/Battery system and that "just works" and is a great solution.