• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Porsche Macan EV Highway Range Test | Behind the Wheels of Porsche’s First Electric SUV

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
In Belgium the base will be 85.000 euro without options. 73.000 £ ? In the uk ?
That would put it around the current Macan GTS and the Cayenne E-hybrid. That might be partly justified by the expected performance of the base EV Macan, but I'd guess that the success (and the importance to Porsche sales) of the current Macan is built on it being a "cheaper" Porsche for people who want the badge and looks but don't want to pay more for the Macan variants that have class-leading performance. Probably why the ICE version will remain on sale. I suppose the issue is, when ICE is no longer an option, do Porsche introduce a single-motor base EV Macan- many buyers don't need AWD but will Porsche want to make SUVs that don't have that ability?

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera TS
Country flag
In Belgium the base will be 85.000 euro without options. 73.000 £ ? In the uk ?
I wonder what mean without options this time? Asking money for rear camera, keyless entry, heated seats or ambient lighting in 2024 is a shame. If that's the case the starting price for the Macan EV is 100k.

Deleted member 4616

Price is an open question for all Porsches. They seem to be unhinged from reality.

I don’t plan to go from a Taycan to an EV Macan but if I was planning to do so, an EV Macan that is well over $100K would make that decision even easier.
For an old car enthusiast like me I have seen Porsche go strongly up market with their prices.
The one that shows it the most is the 911, which used to be slightly pricy but is now super expensive IMO.
Since the other models didn't exist when I first got familiar with 911s and Porsche have pushed the brand strongly up-market since they don't seem so extreme.

The place where the 911S my mate bought 50 years ago 1 year old for half list price was in the market is nowhere near where 911 is perceived to be in the market today.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The reason that some of us Porsche nerds track efficiency is because once Porsche cracks the code here, it paves the way for a small, high energy density battery in a sports car ….which will be a game changer. We will then have our pick of the EV or ICE litter. This is car enthusiast nirvana.
Ok, let's see if the new Taycan comes with a smaller, lighter battery matching the range of the current one, or will it come in heavier but with extra range.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
For an old car enthusiast like me I have seen Porsche go strongly up market with their prices.
The one that shows it the most is the 911, which used to be slightly pricy but is now super expensive IMO.
Since the other models didn't exist when I first got familiar with 911s and Porsche have pushed the brand strongly up-market since they don't seem so extreme.

The place where the 911S my mate bought 50 years ago 1 year old for half list price was in the market is nowhere near where 911 is perceived to be in the market today.
I'm not old enough to go back 50 years buying Porsches, but I bought my first one in 2001 - a 911C4, IIRC it costed me just over $100K USD. Today, 23 years later, 911C4 starts at $122K, so say $130 for matching package (I did not option the fist one, only got all the tech package and performance options), so less than 30% absolute value increase in 23 years - quick google search suggests that's at or below inflation increase. So perhaps they haven't gone that upmarket this century, except maybe GT3 RS category which might not have existed back in 2001 (I was new to Porsche, $100K was the most I ever spent for a car back then, was not looking at much more expensive cars, it was actually going to be an NSX, but the Acura dealer across the street from Porsche didn't think I was serious so they didn't let me test drive the NSX, so I went across the street and bought a 911, which they did let me test drive).

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I wonder what mean without options this time? Asking money for rear camera, keyless entry, heated seats or ambient lighting in 2024 is a shame. If that's the case the starting price for the Macan EV is 100k.
I had to pay for folding mirrors on my Taycan, crazy.

Maybe they will introduce manual window openers on the base model and put electric window opening on the option list.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 Macan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The latest drop on Macan EV with interior now can be shown. This might be a record for the gum chewing guy who typically makes 1h+ videos and wastes a lot of time talking to himself basically.

One curious takeaway at about 12 min is that the engineer with him confirming that Macan EV can use battery generated heat to warm the cabin similar to the REST button in the ICE cars. I wonder if Taycan does that?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'm not old enough to go back 50 years buying Porsches, but I bought my first one in 2001 - a 911C4, IIRC it costed me just over $100K USD. Today, 23 years later, 911C4 starts at $122K, so say $130 for matching package (I did not option the fist one, only got all the tech package and performance options), so less than 30% absolute value increase in 23 years - quick google search suggests that's at or below inflation increase.
Google says 2001 911 C4 MSRP is $72k. Comparing MSRP to MSRP, it’s almost 70% increase.

Deleted member 4616

can use battery generated heat to warm the cabin similar to the REST button in the ICE cars. I wonder if Taycan does that?
I assumed that is why it has a heat pump standard in cold countries.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
This might be a record for the gum chewing guy who typically makes 1h+ videos and wastes a lot of time talking to himself basically.
😁
So the base model is a Macan 4...that would be significant if, as I guess, there was never an ICE Macan 4, so suggesting that there will be a RWD added to the range down the line.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 Macan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I assumed that is why it has a heat pump standard in cold countries.
Heat pump is not enough. This is a different tech that scavenges the heat in the powertrain and then allows it to be redirected into the cabin to assist with heating for comfort (see below using this feature in a Cayenne that I use all the time during cold temps), officially known as Residual Heat function. My understanding that Taycan does not have this tech and any heat generated is wasted. Cabin heating needs use of battery power to power whatever the component heats cabin air.

View attachment 63741

Der-Schwabe

First Name
O.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C-Class
Country flag
Of course, cars are getting better and more efficient. But why is fuel consumption always being compared? I don't buy a Porsche to drive as economically as possible. I buy a Porsche to have the best possible driving pleasure. If I just want to save money or can't afford anything better, then I'll buy something else.
Hey guys, let's talk about driving pleasure!!!
...and is perhaps the reason why the Taycan keeps selling well as last year's (2023) figures show given where the Taycan finds itself in it's product life-cycle.

" The Taycan also posted double-digit gains, with 40,629 customers taking delivery of their new car (+17 per cent). "

Porsche posts stable sales in 2023: strong growth for the 911 and Taycan

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024/company/porsche-deliveries-2023-34942.html

Deleted member 4616

Heat pump is not enough. This is a different tech that scavenges the heat in the powertrain and then allows it to be redirected into the cabin to assist with heating for comfort (see below using this feature in a Cayenne that I use all the time during cold temps), officially known as Residual Heat function. My understanding that Taycan does not have this tech and any heat generated is wasted. Cabin heating needs use of battery power to power whatever the component heats cabin air.

View attachment 63741
I’d never heard of the “rest” function.

Not likely an EV has residual heat that would be wasted like an IC engined car.
In rough terms of the heat from fuel burned in a NA IC engine about ⅓ comes out the crank as power, ⅓ goes into the coolant to be dissipated in the “radiators” (which are actually forced convection heat exchangers and lose little by radiation, at least on the installations I know) and the last ⅓ comes out of the exhaust.

That means there is a huge amount of waste heat about and using a tiny bit of it to heat the cabin is no problem.

With an EV they are relatively efficient, over 90% perhaps, so not much waste, plus the batteries have a low safe operating temperature so maybe not much energy lurking in the coolant to exploit once you stop.

The heat pump will definitely have the potential to considerably reduce the amount of battery energy for a given cabin heat once under way.

Deleted member 4616

I bought my first one in 2001 - a 911C4, IIRC it costed me just over $100K USD.
I am thinking of my youth when a ndw 911 was around £7500 and a one year old one could be picked up for under £4000. They were just nice sports cars with a reputation for poor handling and good traction then and the next 30 years or so.
Having said that good examples of a late 1960s 911S are stupid money these days too, who would have thought.

Having written that in my estimation (I don’t believe any so called inflation calculators are reliable all sourced from people who caused the problem) Sterling lost 95% of its value between 1968 and 2009, the years I worked, and has lost more since