• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Singing at 65-70 mph

Zippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 taycan rwd
Country flag
Perhaps for Porsche's system, but this car was singing annoyingly during a specific speed range at cruise and on/off throttle, just more noticeable off throttle. If thats normal for a Macan, it is going to be a deal breaker.

But I think I'm hearing here that this just may be a one off car. There are several discussions about noisy tires elsewhere, however.

As background, if it matters. I've been driving a Mini SE EV for near four years. So I'm familiar with how a BMW tech based EV drives, sounds, and feels. I don't recall the Mini singing to me. As the tires wear there is more and more noise, but thats across the board and not at a narrow speed range.. The VW ID.4 Pro I test drove awhile back doesn't sing nor the one my sister owns. Small sample size I know.
I have 4 years experience with a mini electric and 3 years with a taycan sedan rwd. I never witnessed any electric motor whine with the mini. The taycan however is quite noisy at times. Especially at low speeds. If I put the backseats down it's really present. Is it exemplary or not? I don't know but for me there's a huge difference in motor noise between the mini and taycan.

Senna

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Macan 4
Country flag
I have a Macan 4 with 20” wheels and thermally and noise-insulated glass. I can hear motor noise below 40 MPH, which, according to the SA, is required by law to help pedestrians notice the vehicle. During tests in Mexico at 110 MPH 😎, I noticed minimal noise aside from the usual high-speed sounds. Additionally, I observed that at this speed, even in normal mode, the spoiler rises significantly, making it visible in the rearview mirror. The car remains extremely stable.

RunningOnSolar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 (orderd), Subaru Solterra, Crosstrek,
Country flag
No issues with my Macan 4 with Standard 20” wheels and Pirelli Scorpion MS tires. I had a beloved car rebuilt in the past and it was returned with such an issue. It was/would be a deal breaker for me too.

Something’s not right but it may be somehow tied to the wheels, tires or an unusual configuration. A manufacturing defect cannot be ruled out.