• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

What does "Preparation for Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball" include?

RHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4S EV
Country flag
The USA standard equipment list includes: Preparation for Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball
Wondering if it's best to option "Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball", or if it's fairly simple to add after delivery?

Anyone have experience adding tow hitch after the fact, to an ICE model?

Macan EV What does "Preparation for Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball" include? Untitled

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
You most likely can do it after the fact, a number of brands offer custom solutions (such as Invisihitch or Stealth Hitch).
May need to wait for a while until the Macan EV is available so they get their hands on one and tweak their offer and installation guides.

But between the hitch cost and the installation, it most likely makes more sense to order it upfront.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHC

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
You most likely can do it after the fact, a number of brands offer custom solutions (such as Invisihitch or Stealth Hitch).
May need to wait for a while until the Macan EV is available so they get their hands on one and tweak their offer and installation guides.

But between the hitch cost and the installation, it most likely makes more sense to order it upfront.
Since the tow ball assembly electrically stores and drops down from a cavity, after delivery installation may be problematic.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Since the tow ball assembly electrically stores and drops down from a cavity, after delivery installation may be problematic.
I believe you are referring to the hitch offered in Europe (and maybe other markets) that drops - and has a tow ball.

In North America at least, they only offer the hitch with the fixed 2” receiver - nothing electric about it.

n4v4nod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Macan 4, 2024 Spyder RS
Country flag
Not for North American specced cars.

andy.marin

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lucid Air Touring, 2017 Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Generally it’s better to get the option installed at factory. The aftermarket solutions have to attach to the frame and sometimes look very awkward. On an SUV, the receiving end may lower your departure angle as it will be lower than the bumper.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 (orderd), Subaru Solterra, Crosstrek,
Country flag
Specified this on my build to have factory installed wiring and because I was advised that it is less expensive overall.

DuckMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 40i, TRD Taco, K1200RS. past: M5, M3, 135i S2.
Country flag
Bwm jerked me around on the factory vs after trailer hitch. Best to get from factory, not least of which is warranty issues re. towing.