• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Taycan driver wanted after back-to-back hits and run at 3 am in Los Angeles - Video

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I bet the Police could subpoena the information from Porsche, which Taycan sedan in the LA area, or even California, reported airbag deployment or other errors +/- 30 minutes of the timestamp on the video. Unlikely there have been that many Taycans that crashed during that hour.
Is it worth it though?

For what we saw, the guy crashed into 2 vehicles. Here it would be considered 2 road accidents + 2 crimes of hit and run. The police wouldn't care much about the first 2 and since only property was harmed, the case would most likely be assigned to a trainee or intern.
Now add to that that metadata (cell tower info, etc) isn't available under current privacy laws here, there wouldn't be much to go after unless the police would get creative and/or spend lots of man hours on this. I'm sure they have more important stuff to deal with.

By the way, the article says it occurred on the night of June 17th... That was two weeks ago. They didn't find the guy so far?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Is it worth it though?

For what we saw, the guy crashed into 2 vehicles. Here it would be considered 2 road accidents + 2 crimes of hit and run. The police wouldn't care much about the first 2 and since only property was harmed, the case would most likely be assigned to a trainee or intern.
Now add to that that metadata (cell tower info, etc) isn't available under current privacy laws here, there wouldn't be much to go after unless the police would get creative and/or spend lots of man hours on this. I'm sure they have more important stuff to deal with.

By the way, the article says it occurred on the night of June 17th... That was two weeks ago. They didn't find the guy so far?
They don't need metadata from cell towers. Porsche servers get almost continuous car status. I bet emergency assistance signal got activated too once airbags deployed. The police just needs to know which car to look at for damage.

As for property crimes not being high on the list of priorities for law enforcement, is it all property (e.g. someone burned down a garage full of government vehicles when nobody was inside, so nobody got hurt) or only private property crimes that your government doesn't care about prosecuting?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
They don't need metadata from cell towers. Porsche servers get almost continuous car status. I bet emergency assistance signal got activated too once airbags deployed. The police just needs to know which car to look at for damage.

As for property crimes not being high on the list of priorities for law enforcement, is it all property (e.g. someone burned down a garage full of government vehicles when nobody was inside, so nobody got hurt) or only private property crimes that your government doesn't care about prosecuting?
No idea tbh. I do remember they taking fingerprints when our garage was assaulted but immediately said they only used them for "blood crimes" so never found the perpetrators. They did "clean out" 8 cars at the time.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
No idea tbh. I do remember they taking fingerprints when our garage was assaulted but immediately said they only used them for "blood crimes" so never found the perpetrators. They did "clean out" 8 cars at the time.
I suspect this was an exaggeration from the officer. It's more of a magnitude of damage vs. resources committed to solve the crime, with violent crimes being considered higher damage. I guarantee if a gang swiped a hundred million euros from banking machines across the country for example, they'd be taking fingerprints from the machines even if not a single drop of blood was spilled in the process. Unless of course you have an ultra woke government which believes thefts are just a form of social justice, then it's time to move IMO.

rs_lan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure but I think the car just got posted on FB - porsche taycan owners club...

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Hard to tell from the lighting but I think the one in the video is a Chalk. Making us Chalk owners look bad :(