• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

rpbrazil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
Country flag
An update from the OP...

Just returned from a second test drive of the Macan 4 at my local dealer. According to my SA, it should be the latest software, though that appears to be a moving target for many dealers. That said, I can confirm that Google Maps is NOT supported in the HUD; just the native nav and Apple Maps (the latter without the AR arrows that hang over the next intersection, as noted in my OP).
Apple doesn’t let third-party apps to show up on other displays in cars that support CarPlay. They wanna force more people to use Apple Maps. I hate that.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Apple doesn’t let third-party apps to show up on other displays in cars that support CarPlay. They wanna force more people to use Apple Maps. I hate that.
No it’s a safety implementation, if 2 Nav’s are active you could be confused like turn left and head on at the same time … But no problem for you, if you use don’t like Apple Maps you will not have the issue.

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
No it’s a safety implementation, if 2 Nav’s are active you could be confused like turn left and head on at the same time … But no problem for you, if you use don’t like Apple Maps you will not have the issue.
Never heard that before.

On my BMW I can have native maps and Apple Maps separately on the display and the HUD.

Its Apple being Apple.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR '21 - Macan 4 waiting for plate...
Country flag
ON my Alfa Romeo Stelvio was the same: if you start the onboard navigation system Google Maps or Apple Maps though Apple Car Play was disable and vice versa. I can0t comment on my current car since Tesla can not have Apple Car Play... I am going to verify this next week as soon as I get my Macan

fsabek

First Name
Fuwad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla model s, 2022 Range Rover sport, macan ev turbo eta at dealer 9/18
Country flag
ON my Alfa Romeo Stelvio was the same: if you start the onboard navigation system Google Maps or Apple Maps though Apple Car Play was disable and vice versa. I can0t comment on my current car since Tesla can not have Apple Car Play... I am going to verify this next week as soon as I get my Macan
In the Tesla I use the Tesla navigation. I am hopeful the Porsche navigation would be good to be sued by itself to benefit the most of the augmented HUD

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I only tried the “static demo” of the augmented HUD and found it very distractive (but it’s subjective so it could be only me) and so I didn’t spec.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Never heard that before.

On my BMW I can have native maps and Apple Maps separately on the display and the HUD.

Its Apple being Apple.
So you confirm what I say, it’s a decision of the manufacturer, on my Audi I cannot have both and on my BMW I can so it’s just the manufacturer who decides that it is a safety issue, not Apple, Apple just sends video streams to the car, it’s the car that decides what to do with it …
In all fairness, they should never show to navigation apps at the same time … it leads to confusion, hesitation and ultimately danger.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
I only tried the “static demo” of the augmented HUD and found it very distractive (but it’s subjective so it could be only me) and so I didn’t spec.
I never had a HUD and found my BMW HUD quite distracting at first, now it is a mandatory option for me. I agree it can be distracting, now I “do not see it anymore“ only when I need it.

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
I never had a HUD and found my BMW HUD quite distracting at first, now it is a mandatory option for me. I agree it can be distracting, now I “do not see it anymore“ only when I need it.
It’s likely only distracting for people who have never had HUD or moving to a different style (like the Macan).

It’s like getting a new car and the pedal offset is different (like when I test-drove the Taycan) - you adjust.

To be honest, I hated the pedal position in the Taycan and that the accelerator was at a steeper angle than any other car I’ve driven.

Last edited:

rpbrazil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
Country flag
I’m not talking about 2 nav’s at the same time. I’m saying that apple allows Apple Maps to show on your main screen and on the instrument cluster/hud at the same time. When you start google maps or Waze the iPhone stops sending image to the instrument cluster/hud. And this is purely apple not opening this API to third party apps.
For me that’s a big issue because my country is not a “connected country” for Porsche so I won’t be able to use the PCM navigation. And Apple Maps is terrible also. I can only use google maps or Waze unfortunately.

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Besides luxury feeling, the thing that I missed the most in my TMS was HUD.
I had it in my previous car, Audi A6, and it was a game changer for security.
After the adaptation period, it is almost impossible to drive a car without it and to feel secure. And, you know, FSD is not a way to feel secure in a Tesla.
Personal opinion!

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never had a single problem with FSD in 100000kms with Tesla but yes I miss the central display and I found that looking at the "Pad" can be a distraction factor. Maybe when I try the HUD for enough time I'll change my mind but for now (and next 4/5 years) I'm happy without (IMHO obviously)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
source of this assertion?