• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Have you taken delivery and are you happy with your charging arrangement? I have a professionally installed Tesla Wall level 2 charger which I have been using since I purchased my Model S in 2016. I have also used it with a Tesla to J1772 adapter to charge my Rivian RS1 and my wife's Volvo XC 60 PHEV. Do you know if Porsche endorses the use of the Tesla charger?
Do you know if the Porsche supplied charger is level 2? I have been trying to find information wrt how fast it charges but have not been successful. Thank you.
porsche charger (EVSE) is L2 @ 9.6 kW - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug - 40 amps - 50 amp breaker - Porsche only endorses their charger, but that's because they are clueless - these items are called EVSE's - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - they are simply external raw power supplies with an on/off switch under control of the car - there is honestly no difference between chargers because they just allow raw AC power to flow into the vehicle where an onboard charger is responsible for charging the battery - not the external EVSE - if Porsche's EV's were really not compatible with non-Prosche EV chargers (EVSE's) how would you use public chargers? none of which are Porsche chargers? Your Macan/Taycan will work fine with most any J-1772/NACS EVSE - it has to be that way because other wise you couldn't charge at work, hotels, malls, airports, or any other place that has installed EVSE's.

_ALL_ North American mobile EVSE are limited to 40 amps (9.6 kW) - since that is the maximum amount of power a _MOBILE_ EVSE is allowed to draw from a plug - if the EVSE is more powerful than 40 amps it has to be hardwired (not plug based) so it ca not be mobile.

your existing Tesla EVSE will work fine…

the charge rate and max power of the porsche charger is clearly visible in the image posted in post #1 - it's listed on the unit itself as 40 amp @ 9.6 kW…

Electric Macan EV First Sighting - Macan EVSE Charger for North America…??? IMG_2353

Last edited:

Senna

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Macan 4
Country flag
I still haven't received my Macan 4 due to issues with the software upgrade. Porsche identified a faulty part that was preventing the upgrade from completing, so I’m currently waiting for that part to arrive.

As for the Tesla Wall Connector, I opted for the Tesla Universal Connector because it supports both the NACS (Tesla connector) and J1772 (other manufacturers). Next year, several car manufacturers, including Porsche, will adopt NACS, making the Tesla Wall Connector the best choice for me. It comes with a four-year warranty and supports 11 kW, which is the maximum capacity for the Macan using AC charging.

While Porsche offers a nice Level 2 charger, it’s quite expensive and doesn’t support NACS. However, it does provide up to 19 kW in AC. I believe 9 kW should suffice for most situations. Here’s the link for the Porsche Level 2 charger.

The charger itself is inside of the car, this actually just a power supply.

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en-US/p/porsche-wall-charger-connect-9J1068209-B/9J1068209

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I still haven't received my Macan 4 due to issues with the software upgrade. Porsche identified a faulty part that was preventing the upgrade from completing, so I’m currently waiting for that part to arrive.

As for the Tesla Wall Connector, I opted for the Tesla Universal Connector because it supports both the NACS (Tesla connector) and J1772 (other manufacturers). Next year, several car manufacturers, including Porsche, will adopt NACS, making the Tesla Wall Connector the best choice for me. It comes with a four-year warranty and supports 11 kW, which is the maximum capacity for the Macan using AC charging.

While Porsche offers a nice Level 2 charger, it’s quite expensive and doesn’t support NACS. However, it does provide up to 19 kW in AC. I believe 9 kW should suffice for most situations. Here’s the link for the Porsche Level 2 charger.

The charger itself is inside of the car, this actually just a power supply.

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en-US/p/porsche-wall-charger-connect-9J1068209-B/9J1068209
Porsche includes the Porsche Universal Charger with Macan/Taycan which is mobile NEMA 14-50/6-50 and max 9.6 kW (40 amps on a 50 amp breaker) - J-1772 - it is an L2 EVSE - or L1 - the Porsche Universal Charger supports modular power supply cables - and Porsche offers NEMA 5-15 (L1 - 12/15 amps) - NEMA 14-30/6-30 (L2 - 24/30 amps) - NEMA 14-50/6-50 (L2 40/50 amps) - so it's either an L1 or L2 EVSE depending on what power supply cable you currently have connected to it. It's charge rate varies from 1.44 kW to max of 9.6 kW - again depending on what what powersupply cable is currently connected.

the Porsche Wall Charger is an L2 charger that is hardwired only (not mobile) - adjustable from 12 amps to 80 amps (15 to 100 amp breakers) - J-1772 - you can purchase it separately - hardwired EVSE's are the only way to have an EVSE that supports more than 9.6 kW in North America - 11 kW is the max charge rate for the Macan (currently) - Taycan gen1 have an optional 19.2 kW factory option - that's a 80/100 amp EVSE (like the PWCC or other J-1772 hardwired EVSEs) - 19.2 kW option is so far not offered for Macan or gen2 Taycans - time will tell if this becomes an option for North America Macan's/Gen2-Taycan's - it was an option for gen-1 Taycans.

Any J-1772 EVSE can charge a NCAS EV with an adapter - to date all NCAS vehicle's come with a J-1772 adapter (you need one to use public L2 J-1772 chargers like ChargePoint)

this $37 adapter will let NACS EV's charger with J-1772 EVSE's - https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...v-ac-compatible-with-sae-j1772-chargers-black

VW has announced support in 2025 (note VW's press release is very very vague as to when in 2025 - could be January 2025 or December 2025) for Supercharging and NCAS - what is less clear however is if NACS native ports will show up on Porsche EV natively - I'm estimating 2026/2027 model year is the soonest - the support will most likley be via adapters - I'd be surprised if NACS ports show up in VW/Audi/Porsche vehicle's before 2028…but we'll see - for the Record supporting superchargers only requires a physical adapters and software updates for the vehicles - adoption of NACS as a native port on the vehicle could come much much later - as to when/if VW/Audi/Porsche will ship a NACS native EVSE - well that will most likely be at the same time as they ship a native NACS vehicle…again no timeline has been shared to date.

this is the last official announcement from VW - https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1774 - no updates have been issued, and no additional information has been provided almost a year later - I encourage people to read it word for word and note what it doesn't say as much as what it does say. It was carefully worded and specifically vague in many many places where clarity would have been easy and helpful.

this post might help you sort the NACS vs. J-1772 situation - https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/threads/dont-overthink-the-nacs-native-port-transition….16867/

Last edited:

Senna

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Macan 4
Country flag
I’m aware of the mobile charger that comes with the Taycan/Macan, but I found several reports advising against using NEMA outlets for EV charging, as they were primarily designed for dryers. To be safe, I opted for a dedicated hardware charger that has received strong recommendations for EVs.

Additionally, I installed a whole-house surge protector for $300, including installation.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you were to own a NACS native EV - you would want to consider having these two adapters when traveling away from home and your normal charging infrastructure…

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...v-ac-compatible-with-sae-j1772-chargers-black
https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...ast-charge-your-tesla-with-ccs-chargers-black

if you were to own a J-1772/CCS native EV - you would want to consider having these two adapters when traveling away from home and your normal charging infrastructure…

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black
https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-vortex-plug-tesla-supercharger-nacs-to-ccs-adapter

NACS EV's need access to J-1772 and CCS1 EV chargers
J-1772/CCS1 EV's need access to NACS L1/L2 and NACS DCFastChargers (superchargers)

so either type of EV can benefit from having two adapters when traveling.

it's going to be this way for a while because there will be EV chargers "in the wild" that have not been updated to the "new" standard - so you will/need/should have two adapters with you when venturing away from home so you can use any EV charger you happen to encounter in North American

it won't be practical/universal to travel without an adapter(s) for quite a while regardless of what type of native port your EV comes with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m aware of the mobile charger that comes with the Taycan/Macan, but I found several reports advising against using NEMA outlets for EV charging, as they were primarily designed for dryers. To be safe, I opted for a dedicated hardware charger that has received strong recommendations for EVs.

Additionally, I installed a whole-house surge protector for $300, including installation.
that's good advice - most pre-installed NEMA 14-50/6-50 power sockets were not industrial/commerical grade sockets - and when subjected to multi-hour charging sessions daily they absorbed thermal stress and could eventually fail - this in combination with a nominal operating temperature of the original Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) or Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) lead to a terrible reputation in the Taycan community and an eventual recall from Porsche that they have yet to recover from (many many Taycan owners are still waiting for their recall to be fulfilled)

Porsche had to release this article covering the minimum requirements for home installs - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/

if you have proper wire gauge and a commerical grade NEMA socket like the one Porsche recommends there is minimal risk with a mobile EVSE, but hardwired is better and less problematic and certainly will not experience the overheating problems that were endemic to the PMC+/PMCC

the full 4+ year history of the PMC+/PMCC is covered here - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...uide-to-the-porsche-evse-pmc-pmcc-pwcc.13886/

and many Taycan owners moved away from Porsche as a viable EVSE vendor when it was clear Porsche didn't understand the core problem with their EVSE, issued an OTA update that cut the charge rate by 50%, tried to blame the victims, and even once they issued the recall were completely incapable of providing any meaningful customer support when there were issues. many Taycan owners have gone with alternative EVSE's and are much happier for it…

Last edited: