• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

3-prong plug for Macan EV charging kit?

Alex103

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
I picked up my Macan 4 last week and I'm driving up to my cottage this weekend, where my Level 2 charger is not yet installed. My son uses a 3-prong plug attachment to slowly charge his all-electric Audi when he's there and I'd planned to do the same.

My Porsche charging kit only came with a 4-prong "oven" plug, and the SA says Porsche kits never include a 3-prong plug.

Does anyone have experience with using a third-party 3-prong plug attachment?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
picutre?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
North American EVSEs from Porsche have the following choices for power supply cables:

NEMA 5-15 - L1 - 120V - 1.44 kW - included
NEMA 14-30 - L2 - 240V - 5.76 kW - optional ($250 or more optional purchase)
NEMA 6-30 - L2 - 240V - 5.76 kW - optional ($250 or more optional purchase)
NEMA 14-50 - L2 - 240v - 9.6 kW - default w/Taycan - $0 option at order time
NEMA 6-50 - L2 - 240V - 9.6 kW - default w/hybrids - $0 option at order time

you can purcahse adatpers from Amazon for $40 or less to convert NEMA 14-50 to 6-50 or vice versa

historically NEMA 14-50 & NEMA 5-15 are "included" with Porsche EVSE with the Hybrids/Taycan

they may be doing something different for Macan.

you SA is wrong - there are other other plugs available - they are the same as the Audi chargers, but porsche is unclear on what the defaults are.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the standard equipment page/list on the Porsche USA website shows the following for the Macan EV

14-50 is a 4 prong plug - supply cable for a US socket type is a NEMA 5-15 plug (this is 3 prong normal household outlet - super super slow charging cable)

if you intend to use the NEMA 5-15 cable (US socket type) the charge rate is 1.44 kW - charging a Macan EV from 10% to 100% via this cable would be approximately 85 kWh - 85 kWh / 1.44 kW is 60 hours - add 10% charging loss overhead - and we're talking 66/70 hours of charging via this power supply cable - also for the Taycan Porsche published a bulletin noting they do NOT recommend using the NEMA 5-15 cable - it's for "emergency use only" - I'm not sure if the same advice applies to the Macan - because Porsche never explained _WHY_ they do not recommend using it…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf

General Precautions on (125V) Supply Cable Use
The “domestic” (125V) supply cable is provided for emergency use only, and should not be used by
customers for daily home charging. Please discuss installation and use of a suitable 250V circuit with
all customers.

Electric Macan EV 3-prong plug for Macan EV charging kit? IMG_2358

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I picked up my Macan 4 last week and I'm driving up to my cottage this weekend, where my Level 2 charger is not yet installed. My son uses a 3-prong plug attachment to slowly charge his all-electric Audi when he's there and I'd planned to do the same.

My Porsche charging kit only came with a 4-prong "oven" plug, and the SA says Porsche kits never include a 3-prong plug.

this thread will answer most of your questions…

https://www.macanevowners.com/forum...-50-vs-6-50-new-ev-owner-garage-setup….16974/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

standard equipment list disagrees with your SA - see above.

it will take 68+ hours to charge your Macan from 10% to 100% via a slow 3-prong NEMA 5-15 supply cable.

OP
OP

Alex103

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Thanks for all this helpful information - much appreciated. So in summary:
1. 3-prong plug is available through Porsche or Amazon
2. Charging will be very slow
3. For Taycan, only recommended for "emergency" charging
4. Unclear if that recommendation would be same for Macan EV. Could 800-volt architecture make 3-prong charging unwise?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all this helpful information - much appreciated. So in summary:
1. 3-prong plug is available through Porsche or Amazon
2. Charging will be very slow
3. For Taycan, only recommended for "emergency" charging
4. Unclear if that recommendation would be same for Macan EV. Could 800-volt architecture make 3-prong charging unwise?
first we need to clarify what you mean by 3 prong and we can go from there

there are 3 three prong cables for a porsche EVSE - so saying 3 prong cable is too vague and tells us nothing

amazon is not a source for a NEMA 5-15 power supply cable for your porsche EVSE - that has to come from porsche

amazon is a source for adapting a nema 14-50 to 6-50 or vice versa

if you read the bulletin Porsche's advice about 120 charging was for their hybrids and taycan - so it’s unclear what role 800v has to do with anything

according to standard equipment list your EVSE should include a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15