• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

I've Got My Lease Options: What's the verdict?

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
The money factor is very high right now when I asked my dealer told me: 0.00410 which is 9.84% APR. But interest rates on high-yield savings accounts are also high right now, mine is 5% APY.

If I lease the car for three years, then I get interest on the money that I would have otherwise paid to Porsche on day one. I put together a spreadsheet to help me understand lease vs buy cost and for me I estimate the net lease cost will be ~$4,500 more than the cash buy.

I’ve attached the spreadsheet and exported PDF for how I came to this conclusion.

Now I’m weighing whether the benefits of the lease providing me options are worth $4,500. Without Porsche’s $7,500 lease incentive rebate, I would not be leasing.
The question is also can you really get full 5% interest on your savings account?
And also on 5% interest earned, you would be paying tax as well, I presume?
So, I imagine your saving is more than just $4,500 with cash buy 🤔

ericf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
The question is also can you really get full 5% interest on your savings account?
And also on 5% interest earned, you would be paying tax as well, I presume?
So, I imagine your saving is more than just $4,500 with cash buy 🤔
Currently my savings accounts are paying 5% Interest. Fair point on the earned interest being taxed.

krissrock

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
Not sure of your lease details. However in my case the lease numbers even with the ev $7500 credit were unacceptably high!! I am assuming due to resale value or depreciation. Making me changing my mind and instead I decided to buy my new macan ev turbo!
i don't really have a lease deal yet. haven't done any financial papers... But the lease>buy out was the plan for the 7500 credit to bring the price down. I was thinking, even if i had to make a couple months payments before paying it off, it should be less than the 7500 i would save vs buying outright

Ratings

First Name
Nili
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan 4
i don't really have a lease deal yet. haven't done any financial papers... But the lease>buy out was the plan for the 7500 credit to bring the price down. I was thinking, even if i had to make a couple months payments before paying it off, it should be less than the 7500 i would save vs buying outright
I picked up my Macan 4 on Thursday 9/19 and it’s AMAZING. I leased, 37 lease factor, 39 months, $90,757 Sticker before $7,500 credit, $1,405 per month, zero down, 7,500 miles a year and 850 credit score! Have fun! Whoop whoop! Residual Value $52,472

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Not wanting to rain on anyone’s parade - and truly enjoy the cars!

But these lease “deals” are not that: they’re money suck if one intends to buy the car at the end of the lease, even with the $7.5k credit. 😑

If one can buy cash (not finance) and intends to keep the car at the end of the lease - do yourself a favor. Buy it right away. I’ve laid out the math several times already. 😉

Daniel15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
The money factor is very high right now when I asked my dealer told me: 0.00410 which is 9.84% APR.
This is something I've noticed with Porsche specifically. Other brands have significantly lower money factors.

To compare with a similar-ish car, the 2025 BMW iX has a similar MSRP, a money factor of 0.00026, and you can easily find lease deals for around $800/month. There's a pre-negotiated deal for the iX in California on Leasehackr right how - $96,775 MSRP, $699/month with $0 down.

A Porsche dealer I was chatting with estimated it'd cost around $1600/month with a decently sized down payment for a Macan with a similar MSRP, and it seems like brokers generally don't deal with Porsche.

I think the Macan is a better car, but I'm not sure it's 2x as good as the BMW. Realistically my choices between the two cars are to either lease the BMW or buy the Porsche with cash.

For EVs, I'm leaning towards leasing given how quickly the technology is moving...

Currently my savings accounts are paying 5% Interest. Fair point on the earned interest being taxed.
Are you talking about Wealthfront? They haven't passed on the 0.5% fed rate cut yet. Expect it to drop to 4.5% or below within the next week or two.

fsabek

First Name
Fuwad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla model s, 2022 Range Rover sport, macan ev turbo eta at dealer 9/18
Country flag
I picked up my Macan 4 on Thursday 9/19 and it’s AMAZING. I leased, 37 lease factor, 39 months, $90,757 Sticker before $7,500 credit, $1,405 per month, zero down, 7,500 miles a year and 850 credit score! Have fun! Whoop whoop! Residual Value $52,472
For me 15000 miles a year with 3000 down and perfect credit was $2500?-!month!!!!!

krissrock

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you talking about Wealthfront? They haven't passed on the 0.5% fed rate cut yet. Expect it to drop to 4.5% or below within the next week or two.
i was getting 5% with PNC earlier this year...its 4.5% now

krissrock

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
do you have the lease terms you could share? like the fine print?
nothing specific to your deal, but is there anything in there about early buy outs/returns?

MFitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S ordered PSPRDQM3
Country flag
Not wanting to rain on anyone’s parade - and truly enjoy the cars!

But these lease “deals” are not that: they’re money suck if one intends to buy the car at the end of the lease, even with the $7.5k credit. 😑

If one can buy cash (not finance) and intends to keep the car at the end of the lease - do yourself a favor. Buy it right away. I’ve laid out the math several times already. 😉
Agree.