• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Kill Switch needed for a Macan ?

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
I have a Kill Switch in My BMW ICE M3 to make sure should they get into the car at least they won't leave with it (Unless they tow it)

How can this be handled on my New Turbo Macan EV. Or is it even needed. I don't know how this can be tackled with EV cars.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
When I was configuring with a Porsche dealer, he suggested avoiding 'comfort access' as the car is more prone to theft. Because the key fobs use radio frequencies to transmit signals which can be copied by someone who wants to steal.
But how much not having 'comfort access' helps against theft is hard to tell, but the Kill Switch idea sounds interesting.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
I have a Kill Switch in My BMW ICE M3 to make sure should they get into the car at least they won't leave with it (Unless they tow it)

How can this be handled on my New Turbo Macan EV. Or is it even needed. I don't know how this can be tackled with EV cars.

Thank you for your thoughts.
I was told by my dealer this past weekend that the Macan does not have a kill switch button because it would be "dangerous" and instead the car can simply be "tracked" if stolen.

OP
OP
BigApple

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
I was told by my dealer this past weekend that the Macan does not have a kill switch button because it would be "dangerous" and instead the car can simply be "tracked" if stolen.
thank you for your thoughts on this. Based on the wisdom "Prevention is better than Healing" i really don't want to go through the healing and avoid it all in the first place if possible. But i also agree not having to lose Convenient Access is important.
I can understand intercepting the high-power portion would be dangerous. but more on the low power side. Like intercepting the (Drive mode switch) the car would not go anywhere when that switch will be routed through a kill switch for example. OfCourse it would likely be only one data pin. But this is only a guess.

OP
OP
BigApple

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
When I was configuring with a Porsche dealer, he suggested avoiding 'comfort access' as the car is more prone to theft. Because the key fobs use radio frequencies to transmit signals which can be copied by someone who wants to steal.
But how much not having 'comfort access' helps against theft is hard to tell, but the Kill Switch idea sounds interesting.
I have it on my M3 and i am glad i have done it. But it is a different animal with an EV with all its electronics.

OP
OP
BigApple

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
How about putting the key fob in a Signal blocking pouch. But then it exactly does what it was designed for :(

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
How about putting the key fob in a Signal blocking pouch. But then it exactly does what it was designed for :(
I do that with my i4 eDrive 40. But I find taking it out of the signal blocking pouch defeats the 'comfort access' purpose.
And I often think, I am better off just pressing the unlock button when approaching the car.
While taking the pouch out off the pocket, then the key out of the pouch is one more step and not much of a comfort as such.:confused:

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
IMHO I wouldn’t add any electronics device on a high tech car like all the EVs are. Too easy to create any kind of interference with the onboard systems.

OP
OP
BigApple

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
IMHO I wouldn’t add any electronics device on a high tech car like all the EVs are. Too easy to create any kind of interference with the onboard systems.
Totally Agree with the risks.
But if you think of it. The Drive Switch is very likely a button that closes a low voltage circuit. And if that gets intercepted to a kill switch. You have not messed with anything but extended a low voltage run. This is OfCourse all theoretical. I hope there will be a way that is not invasive but will do the job.