• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Macan EV 4 - is it really worth it ?

Mr_Frenchy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS 2017
Country flag
So I am looking at the Macan 4 and I am wondering why someone would buy this car ?
it costs 86500€ (in France) and will probably end up near 100K€ with the "must have" options - especially with poor standard equipment.
With a 0 to 60 in 5.2 sec, Ouch! Don't get me wrong 5.2 sec is a quick car BUT in the ICE car world.
In EV car world, it is different, e.g. the MG Xpower does the 0 to 60 in 3.8 sec and cost... 42K€, ok I will not compare the build quality and others driving experiences than the Porsche will offer but when you will be in your Macan 4 and you will see in your rear view mirror a guy in Xpower, you will have to pull over and leave him/her pass. Something that Porsche drivers did not experience very often in the ICE world ...

At that price, every EV Porsche should do the 0 to 60 in sub 4 sec.

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Taycan GTS, Macan EV Turbo (order)
Country flag
I think you're optimizing on a single dimension that practically isn't that important (but yes, accelerating fast is fun). The difference between the 4 and the Turbo on this single dimension doesn't matter for everyday driving.

I'm not sure what you're talking about having to pull over to let someone pass. Either you're going with the flow of traffic and you're in the appropriate lane, or you're not. Being able to accelerate 0–60 MPH in 3.8s vs 5.2s isn't going to amount to any difference in the scenario that you describe at all.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Indeed when specked out, you end up with a Turbo as the price difference really shrinks quickly with every option you tick

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The issue with loading the 4 with cost options is that they add very little to its resale value.
That's another point in favour of the Turbo (if you can avoid too many cost options) but the challenge will be securing one of the far fewer allocations of Turbos than 4's.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
How bad is the depreciation on a Taycan Turbo vs a base Taycan? Is the Turbo faring better?

Cars depreciate a ton and I agree with @WuffvonTrips that options don’t do much for the resale value.

Like @Mr_Frenchy, the idea of a Porsche accelerating slower than a Tesla or my current Mach-e really annoys me.

I take the point made by @most_vexing_parse on acceleration only being one part of the equation. I spec’ed a base Macan with the options I’d want (most being standard on the Turbo) and the price difference is halved comparing to base prices.

So the Turbo may still end up making more sense, the cost to accelerate fast being softened.

But EVs depreciate like there’s no tomorrow. And on a 6 digits car, that’s a lot of $$$.

Last edited:

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS MY22 I Macan 4S PSZUSJE6 Jet Black
Country flag
So I am looking at the Macan 4 and I am wondering why someone would buy this car ?
it costs 86500€ (in France) and will probably end up near 100K€ with the "must have" options - especially with poor standard equipment.
With a 0 to 60 in 5.2 sec, Ouch! Don't get me wrong 5.2 sec is a quick car BUT in the ICE car world.
In EV car world, it is different, e.g. the MG Xpower does the 0 to 60 in 3.8 sec and cost... 42K€, ok I will not compare the build quality and others driving experiences than the Porsche will offer but when you will be in your Macan 4 and you will see in your rear view mirror a guy in Xpower, you will have to pull over and leave him/her pass. Something that Porsche drivers did not experience very often in the ICE world ...

At that price, every EV Porsche should do the 0 to 60 in sub 4 sec.
buy turbo :clap: I have … my code here

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How bad is the depreciation on a Taycan Turbo vs a base Taycan? Is the Turbo faring better?

Cars depreciate a ton and I agree with @WuffvonTrips that options don’t do much for the resale value.

Like @Mr_Frenchy, the idea of a Porsche accelerating slower than a Tesla or my current Mach-e really annoys me.

I take the point made by @most_vexing_parse on acceleration only being one part of the equation. I spec’ed a base Macan with the options I’d want (most being standard on the Turbo) and the price difference is halved compare to base prices.

So the Turbo may still end up making more sense, the cost to accelerate fast being softened.

But EVs depreciate like there’s no tomorrow. And on a 6 digits car, that’s a lot of $$$.
mate, just keep it for years, why worry abt depreciaction

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mate, just keep it for years, why worry abt depreciaction
Ahah that’s the best way for sure!
Only concerns are the battery (will it still be ok 5 years from now?) and the maintenance costs post warranty.

But extremely tempted to pull the trigger for sure…

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ahah that’s the best way for sure!
Only concerns are the battery (will it still be ok 5 years from now?) and the maintenance costs post warranty.

But extremely tempted to pull the trigger for sure…
What are you thinking?
The battery has 8 years warranty.
The Macan’s battery is modular, individual modules can be swapped out when faulty, easy job: not the whole entire battery as a block.
In the future, I reckon, the modules can be swapped out by solid state modules !!

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice looking car! Congrats!

22”, the range will take a serious hit with that no?
And I see you have the Papaya Macan currently, how do you likes that color? Any pictures you can share?
Like the papaya colour. But I’m going back to elegance rather than fancy.

Macan EV Macan EV 4 - is it really worth it ? IMG_7861

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are you thinking?
The battery has 8 years warranty.
The Macan’s battery is modular, individual modules can be swapped out when faulty, easy job: not the whole entire battery as a block.
In the future, I reckon, the modules can be swapped out by solid state modules !!
It’s still new tech, overall but mostly for Porsche, so unsure how well built/thought through it is. Maybe I’m overthinking it, I should read more about how the Taycan is doing after a few years.

meerec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
22”, the range will take a serious hit with that no?
I’m forfeiting roof rails and I really do not need the rear wiper so can afford larger wheels…range will even out :giggle:

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m forfeiting roof rails and I really do not need the rear wiper so can afford larger wheels…range will even out :giggle:
I don’t think I can skip the rear wiper. 😢

Actually thinking of going with 20” to improve range even though the 21” are also available at no extra cost. Less expensive to replace too - but 21” would look nice.

Now 22”… ballsy! 👌🏻