• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rear Wiper or not…

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4, MINI Cooper S
Country flag
is it possible to position the rear wiper in vertical position?
That would indeed make a difference for the streamline Paolo. I read elsewhere on the forum that the wiper makes a significant difference in the range and that it is strongly not recommended by some dealers in the US.

I also don’t think it’s possible because in vertical position the reach can only be 90 degrees and in horizontal position the motor of the wiper makes almost 180 degrees.

I’m going to let it paint. When I ordered mine (delivery this Friday 🤞🏻) you couldn’t order a painted wiper. Painted in the body color, it becomes a bit more part of it. It’s all in the details…

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
Definitely does… until you can’t see through the window anymore. 🙃
How do people manage in Sedans without a rear wiper?
In my i4 sedan, when visibility gets poor in rain, I find turning on rear window heating improves visibility.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
How do people manage in Sedans without a rear wiper?
In my i4 sedan, when visibility gets poor in rain, I find turning on rear window heating improves visibility.
Right - but heating the window won’t remove the salt, mud or muck.

On a sedan, you go get your car washed.
On a car with a rear wiper, you just use the wiper - the wash can wait.

LivingTheDream

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 718 Boxster
Country flag
Hoping to revitalize this thread and get some feedback from people who have received their Macans and have/have not specced the rear wiper.

It's the last item in my build that I'm wavering on and my lock date is upon me (10/6). I've dropped the thermal/acoustic glass out of concerns about delivery delays (up to 8 weeks according to my SA reading the latest advisory from Porsche), thus opening up the rear wiper option. I used the UK configurator to assess range impact (it adjusts estimated range based on selected options—something the US configurator does not) and I'm no longer worried about that issue after it revealed a mere 1 mile hit (FYI, roof rails have NO impact; wheel size and tire choice are the big hits). I prefer the look of the car without it, but am willing to make this small compromise if the utility value is there.

The issue motivating my consideration of the rear wiper is visibility. The rear window, which looks nice and large when you're outside the car, presents a very small opening in the rear view mirror due to its shallow angle. My concern is that the build up of anything on that window (rain, snow, mud) is going to further reduce the already limited rear visibility. The slope of the window will just exaggerate this—much as a piece of tinted glass looks darker when you tilt it. In theory, the same smooth airflow that gives the Macan its low drag coefficient will also keep stuff off the rear window. What I'd like is to get beyond theory and tap into people's actual experience. So...

For those of you who have taken delivery, please comment on your experience:
  • If you DO have a rear wiper, how effective is it in maintaining rear view visibility when in operation? Does it make enough of a difference to warrant addition to my spec?
  • If you DON'T have a rear wiper, do you miss it? How much does rain accumulate when traveling at around-town speeds? How much accumulation is there when traveling at highway speeds? If there is accumulation, how much does it affect visibility?
Thanks in advance to any who can offer their input based on real-world experience.

Last edited:

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
Tried yesterday on a 200 km trip under heavy rain. No problem at all WITHOUT the rear wiper (as it was with my Tesla M3). Probably the rear wiper could be useful during winter with snow and salt but sincerely it's been a long long time (maybe 3/4 cars ago) since I used the rear window. While I'm driving I use side mirrors and when I park unfortunately the rear window can't help and I use the camera. In addiction I have to say that usually (at least one a month) I treat the rear window with a product that makes it hydrophobic.
Obviously IMHO ;)
And I love how clean it is 😂😂😂
Electric Macan EV Rear Wiper or not… IMG_5007 b.JPG

Electric Macan EV Rear Wiper or not… IMG_4994 b.JPG

DTaxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GLS, E class
Hoping to revitalize this thread and get some feedback from people who have received their Macans and have/have not specced the rear wiper.

It's the last item in my build that I'm wavering on and my lock date is upon me (10/6). I've dropped the thermal/acoustic glass out of concerns about delivery delays (up to 8 weeks according to my SA reading the latest advisory from Porsche), thus opening up the rear wiper option. I used the UK configurator to assess range impact (it adjusts estimated range based on selected options—something the US configurator does not) and I'm no longer worried about that issue after it revealed a mere 1 mile hit (FYI, roof rack has NO impact; wheel size and tire choice are the big hits). I prefer the look of the car without it, but am willing to make this small compromise if the utility value is there.

The issue motivating my consideration of the rear wiper is visibility. The rear window, which looks nice and large when you're outside the car, presents a very small opening in the rear view mirror due to its shallow angle. My concern is that the build up of anything on that window (rain, snow, mud) is going to further reduce the already limited rear visibility. The slope of the window will just exaggerate this—much as a piece of tinted glass looks darker when you tilt it. In theory, the same smooth airflow that gives the Macan its low drag coefficient will also keep stuff off the rear window. What I'd like is to get beyond theory and tap into people's actual experience. So...

For those of you who have taken delivery, please comment on your experience:
  • If you DO have a rear wiper, how effective is it in maintaining rear view visibility when in operation? Does it make enough of a difference to warrant addition to my spec?
  • If you DON'T have a rear wiper, do you miss it? How much does rain accumulate when traveling at around-town speeds? How much accumulation is there when traveling at highway speeds? If there is accumulation, how much does it affect visibility?
Thanks in advance to any who can offer their input based on real-world experience.
My personal experience with SUV's suggest I would probably use a rear wiper, but often because I'm bit OCD about having a clear window. Do I really need to see back there 90% of the time while driving I would say no (and parking is irrelevant with camera systems). What I do have with my current Mercedes GLS is an accidental rear wipe when it was dirty and dry that has resulted in an awful scratch to the glass.

I optioned it off my Macan 4S, partly because I wanted the acoustic glass, partly for cosmetics, partly because of my GLS glass scratch experience, and partly for range hit (although your input above suggest that's immaterial, which makes sense). With that said, I'm in the same boat as you so curious what other owners have to say.

I am also interested in your feedback regarding the range hit of the roof rack. I think the configurator is likely only accounting for the impact of the roof rails. Once you slap cross bars and a cargo box on top, there is no way it's not negatively impacting range in a material way. I only point this out because I'm still wavering on adding the roof rails or not to my order. Currently off as I just doubt I'll ever opt to throw a cargo box on top (although my wife is not sold on that and I fear the later told you so's....)

LivingTheDream

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 718 Boxster
Country flag
My personal experience with SUV's suggest I would probably use a rear wiper, but often because I'm bit OCD about having a clear window. Do I really need to see back there 90% of the time while driving I would say no (and parking is irrelevant with camera systems). What I do have with my current Mercedes GLS is an accidental rear wipe when it was dirty and dry that has resulted in an awful scratch to the glass.

I optioned it off my Macan 4S, partly because I wanted the acoustic glass, partly for cosmetics, partly because of my GLS glass scratch experience, and partly for range hit (although your input above suggest that's immaterial, which makes sense). With that said, I'm in the same boat as you so curious what other owners have to say.

I am also interested in your feedback regarding the range hit of the roof rack. I think the configurator is likely only accounting for the impact of the roof rails. Once you slap cross bars and a cargo box on top, there is no way it's not negatively impacting range in a material way. I only point this out because I'm still wavering on adding the roof rails or not to my order. Currently off as I just doubt I'll ever opt to throw a cargo box on top (although my wife is not sold on that and I fear the later told you so's....)
Good point on the distinction between roof RAILS and roof RACK. I've corrected my post above to indicate that I was referring to the rails. Agreed that a rack and attached accessories will most definitely have an impact on range.