• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

InnoDrive, Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Keeping and Lane Keep Assist

Are you ordering your car with PID/ALK?

• Total voters

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
I have been a little confused about all of the above, what they do and don't do. After some research, stumbled on Jeremy Lawley's profile on Vimeo - seemingly an official Porsche channel called Academy Garage for their partners.

2 videos were particularly of interest:

Electric Macan EV InnoDrive, Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Keeping and Lane Keep Assist 20
Episode 20: Innodrive w/Adaptive Cruise Control in a Taycan (MY23)

Electric Macan EV InnoDrive, Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Keeping and Lane Keep Assist 21
Episode 21: Active Lane Keeping vs. Lane Keep Assist in a Taycan (MY23)

ALK is the one that interests me the most, I feel that with ACC I would be mostly covered.

Here in the US, ACC and LKA are standard features whereas Innodrive (PID)/ALK are optional ($960 for the bundle).
There doesn't seem to be another way to get PID/ALK unless spec'd when the car is ordered.

That was possible through Functions on Demand (FOD) on the Taycan, one could subscribe to PID and/or ALK individually on a monthly basis.
FOD is going away on the Taycan and it therefore seems unlikely FOD will exist on the Macan.

In the end, I do think I'll keep InnoDrive in my config - mostly for ALK. And who knows, maybe PID will be handy during the occasional roadtrip!
What about you?

ironcitijc

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Rivian R1T
Country flag
Thanks for posting this. The video is helpful. I also spec'd mine out with it.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
If I understand it correct you need to Order innodrive to get active lane keeping. The car drives itself on bigger road with not to sharp curves. Stays in center of lane. Otherwise you only get Lane keep assist, and that is a joke. Driving from lane to lane, and keep telling you to take over.
I have innodrive in my Taycan, and it works well

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
If I understand it correct you need to Order innodrive to get active lane keeping. The car drives itself on bigger road with not to sharp curves. Stays in center of lane. Otherwise you only get Lane keep assist, and that is a joke. Driving from lane to lane, and keep telling you to take over.
I have innodrive in my Taycan, and it works well
That's my understanding as well, PID and ALK are a combo: you cannot get one without the other on the Macan. Thanks for the feedback on InnoDrive!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I dislike innodrive - but option it so that I can have it if I want it

I own 3 "innodrive" Porsches - 2020 Taycan, 2021 Cayenne, 2022 911 - on all 3 I have innodrive disabled and only enable ACC and ALK

my main complaints with innodrive are:
  • it aggressively matches speeds limits (up or down) - so it effectively brake checks who ever is following you if innodrive "feels" there is a reduction in speed limit (real or hallucinated *) - when using innodrive I have almost been rear ended by other cars (not technically innodrive's fault) - and given that this can happen for "fake/imagined" speed limit changers I personally have decided it's unsafe to have it enabled
  • it anticipates upcoming curves and adjust speed to match corning - it's quite conservative with it's cornering speeds and I was always "overriding" it with the accelerator pedal - so in the end I simply disabled it because of problem #1
  • there are other lesser problems, but the two above make it useless for me personally
I option it on all my Porsches for the following reasons:
  • FOMO
  • some small hope for future updates making it better? (less than 1% chance in my opinion)
  • guaranteed ACC/ALK support/sensors - car will have best sensors/cameras and other electronics required for innodrive
  • but mostly FOMO
but as noted - I have Innodrive "disabled" on all 3 of my Porsche's - but ACC and ALK are functional and useful - I occasionally turn innodrive back on to see if I was wrong, but normally that last less than a day as I once again almost get rear-ended due to innodrive slowing down for an imaginary speed limit zone change…

* - innodrive's accuracy with regards to speed limits based on current location lacks global accuracy - I've been tooling along at 65 mph in a 65 mph zone, and for _NO REASON_ it has just slowed down (aggressively) to like 45 mph - and then back to 65 mph - there is no rhyme or reason for this slow down other than inaccuracy in it's data maps or vision recognition - I simply can't have an automated system slamming on the brakes for a hallucinated speed limit zone change - it happen, it happens frequently, and it's dangerous given how aggressively the vehicle decelerates often times surprising driver's follow me too closely - it's disabled for my safety.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
have innodrive disabled and only enable ACC and ALK

my main complaints with innodrive are:
  • it aggressively matches speeds limits (up or down) - so it effectively brake checks who ever is following you if innodrive "feels" there is a reduction in speed limit
Same.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
You can turn the “follow sped limit of” when on innodrive. The left cluster will then say, transfer the speed limit?
Be cause you are right, the regulation loop PID-regulation is shit. Braking/acceleration in a jerking manner every time the speed limit changes. Much better to use after I disabled the automatic speed limit transfer

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
turn the “follow sped limit of” when on innodrive
I'll have to give that a try. I like to be reminded of speed changes when approaching unfamiliar towns - cops are cops.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
I have seen two folks on the Taycan forum who had previous Taycans who recently posted their new 2025 Taycans have improved InnoDrive. I think we can therefore expect as Kyle/OutOfSpec stated, that our Macan’s will have even better than the 2025 T’s due to its improved software.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Macan Turbo Electric, 2020 Taycan TS, 2012 Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
  • it anticipates upcoming curves and adjust speed to match corning - it's quite conservative with its cornering speeds and I was always "overriding" it with the accelerator pedal - so in the end I simply disabled it because of problem #1
Dave,

I use Inno Drive for braking a lot, ALK, not so much (wife immediately asks what's wrong with the car when using ALK). Braking for curves, blind hills, or intersections changes a lot, depending on drive mode selected, none are likely to scare you, but they might scare passengers in SPORT PLUS. Three years ago, I led my first Porsche club drive with our 2020 Taycan TS on very tight curves and hills in NORMAL mode and used Inno Drive to set the pace - three cars left the group at the first rest stop because of the slow pace! I have since learned the ACC can be set to 85 mph in SPORT PLUS and the Taycan will be amazing at braking properly - feels like a Porsche instructor is showing you how to trail brake.

When following others in a club outing, especially down a mountain, turning Auto Regeneration on does a great job of following the car in front of you, but a little close for rock-chip protection. I love Auto regeneration - it is the smoothest possible ride you can give your passengers - it coasts gracefully when you let up on the throttle and slows when traffic is in front you. My INDIVIDUAL mode is set to SPORT, LOW, Auto Regeneration ON, Sport Sound ON.

Active Lane Keeping is not graceful and gets worse if you have the ACC set to 2 or three seconds. It is tolerable for me if you set ACC to 4 or 5 seconds (but still not smooth).

As a side note, Adaptive Cruise Control in our Taycan can be set to 120 mph - all our other Porsche cars stop at 100 mph.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interestingly ACC and Lane Keep are... STANDARD!!!!! for MY25 in US. It should have ALWAYS been the case and I'm shocked Porsche actually did it. I'm assuming some sort of regulation forced their hand.

Last edited: