• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Insulated glass or rear wiper? (First post by a Porsche newbie.)

Jonny McCann

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 Electric
Country flag
I’ve never sat in a Porsche, let alone driven one (so please be kind), but currently have a Macan 4 Electric on order, yet to go into build.

My previous car was a high-spec. Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d, and I’m currently using a Tesla Model Y Long Range until my Macan is delivered.

The big dilemma is the option of either thermally and noise insulated glass or a rear wiper (as the two together are not available on a Macan 4 Electric).

I live in North West England, which has a temperate, damp climate, where roads are salted in the winter when a severe frost is forecast.

My driving is typically on main roads with less than perfect surfaces, and where the speed limit is generally 50 MPH. I also use motorways regularly but seldom drive in cities.

The insulated glass option seems attractive if it really cuts out noise, but I’m not sure if it’s good enough to merit losing the rear wiper. I’d love a quiet cabin (as I had with the Jaguar), but may miss a rear wiper (as I do with the Tesla). I’m not at all concerned at how a rear wiper might affect the aerodynamics or aesthetics of the car.

My Macan order currently includes adaptive air suspension.

Could any contributors to this forum offer any experience-based advice?

Also, is a heated windscreen necessary on an EV? Has anyone any experience of the Macan Electric’s heated windscreen?

Finally, I see that side airbags in the rear compartment are optional on the Macan 4 Electric. Porsche explained that this refers to additional airbags that would need to be deactivated when fitting a child seat in the rear. I don’t expect to have passengers in the rear compartment, let alone children, but would worry that if I don’t opt for all the safety features available, I could be putting my (rare) back seat passengers at risk.

I'd be very grateful for advice or pointers for thins to consider from contributors to MacanEVOwners.