• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

fsabek

First Name
Fuwad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla model s, macan ev turbo waiting for software update at dealership
Country flag
I think the delay can be related to the timing as mentioned earlier for cars shipped to dealers before the update came out and started causing all the problems since the cars are new.
AS well as dealerships. Where some might not have enough experienced staff or even any experience with these new cars and the software update needed for these new cars needed specific requirements some dealers dont have. Then comes the part of transparency and how honest are the dealers.

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan EV to be delivered… or not
Country flag
End of production was mid August for mine.
I think most of the cars that were successfully delivered have an even older production date…

LivingTheDream

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 718 Boxster
Country flag
I think some perspective can be gained from looking at companies that are highly experienced at wedding together hardware and software. Even they have startup pains when introducing new products. For example, it is not uncommon for Apple to rev software (at least once, sometimes more) immediately following the release of a new iPhone. The lead times on hardware hardware are L O N G. Apple just released the iPhone 16 and it's a safe bet that the iPhone 17 hardware is close to being locked down (if not already). The software that will be released in parallel with that later phone (iOS 19) will be in development right up to and past the delivery date. In short, it's not uncommon for hardware to be shipped before the software is complete (side note: to this end, Apple has actually developed the capacity to update software while it's still in the box).

My SA said that their earlier Macans were basically shipped as "unfinished products" that have required "completion" by the dealers via software installs—something for which they were also on a learning curve. Clearly, Porsche has not yet mastered the process of updating software on hardware products that have left the factory. While this is typical for products requiring complex software to operate (computers/smartphones), it new for products that have a legacy of being largely mechanical (cars).

I would venture it's safe to say were all here because we appreciate and value Porsche's mechanical brilliance (e.g., how does my 718 Boxster so effectively translate my "I want to turn now" thought into such immediate and precise action?). What's painful is having to share their growth pains when it comes to effectively updating the software that runs these mechanical jewels. For those caught in this cycle, you have my deepest sympathy—it's easy for me to write from a detached perspective when I'm looking at a 12/6 delivery date for my 4S. For those of you awaiting delivery, let's hope that Porsche is aware they are spending precious brand loyalty putting pioneers though this pain. With any luck, they will improve the extent to which they are able to deliver products that are completed from a consumer perspective (i.e., both hardware and software).

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Yes @tmrqs … But canceling for what?
If it takes them one/two months to update a specific car, how many months will it take to master this PPE platform?
My idea is to wait 3/4 months to see how it evolves, obviously by following this forum, and to re-order a turbo if you‘re all happy with your car.

Maybe my stucked turbo is a lemon? Bad luck for me, but fortunately, Macan EV is intrinsically a good mastered car?
So you’re cancelling your order?

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
End of production was mid August for mine.
I think most of the cars that were successfully delivered have an even older production date…
Production of my 4 ended on August 28th and for now no problem

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
We have to remember also that people on this forum are not relevant on a statistic base. My dealer delivered around 12/15 Macan EV (4 and Turbo) and I’m the only one to be here. For what I know no problem to update and deliver these 12/15 cars. I’m really sorry for everyone here who are waiting for their car but I wouldn’t base my judgement on how many people here are on the same boat. Remember also that on forum, most of the time, you find more often people who have problem than people that enjoy their product.

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a huge difference between a phone and a Macan EV: 140ke.
Moreover, even on the IPhone (1), Apple had no problem to deliver it to millions customers.
The fact that Porsche seems unable to manage software updates on a brand new car, after what, 2 years of extra delays, is miserable. The fact that they send to dealership “unfinished” products is… I have no word to describe that. WTF.

Will I cancel my order?
I do want to cancel, but I don’t know what new car to choose.
I’ve secured the use of a 2020 TM3 Perf to bridge the gap, but I’m not really happy to continue with Tesla for months…
Sorry, I don’t know what I want, because I’m disappointed. Imagine my disappointment if this specific Turbo turns to be a real lemon @140ke…

Reason: I must cancel, whatever the price
Passion: I want this car if it’s not a lemon
Decision: lol

Fortunately, it’s not a big problem ;)

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have to remember also that people on this forum are not relevant on a statistic base. My dealer delivered around 12/15 Macan EV (4 and Turbo) and I’m the only one to be here. For what I know no problem to update and deliver these 12/15 cars. I’m really sorry for everyone here who are waiting for their car but I wouldn’t base my judgement on how many people here are on the same boat. Remember also that on forum, most of the time, you find more often people who have problem than people that enjoy their product.
Not totally agree: most of us are here because we ordered a Macan EV, not because we have something that went wrong with it.
So the stats are pretty good and not biased: obviously, delivery problems occur on a relatively small percentage (Including my Turbo :mad:)…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's such early days I'd suggest 1100 forum members are statistically significant (has Porsche even completed delivery of 1100 Macan's world wide - I think not) - the Macan EV has been a problem Child since it was delay'd 2 years ago - and so far the roll out has not offered in concrete indication that the problems are behind us

a few things stand out:
  1. they seem to have no reliable or efficient way to update the vehicle's software
  2. the software was not available until weeks ago - really? honestly they had a 2 year delay and the "final" software for this car still wasn't locked and loaded until a few weeks ago?
    1. I did commerical software for a major tech company - my software is running on literally billions of devices world wide - software that is pushed to the last minute - even after an additional 2 years of development time - is _NOT_ a good sign - it's a sign of gross negligence and rarely (never?) produces quality results…the software not being ready until just a few weeks before customer delivery when they've been manufacturing the hardware for months - well lets just say that' s not how it should be done, and is a big big red flag.
  3. it's rarely a good sign when software is only ready at the last minute - and also indicates that problems are to be expected
  4. Porsche's inability to educate/standardize the PDI software update delivery process demonstrates their lack of technical sophistication
  5. having hardware component that have to be replaced to complete the update is another fact that does not inspire confidence in this product.
if Tesla was pulling this crap _EVERYONE_ of this forum would be using it as justification for their loyalty to Porsche and indicating that Porsche "would do better". They would also be claiming Tesla "sucks" for having to resort to this type of thing during roll out - well even if Tesla sucks of doing this - and they Kinda sorta are for the Cybertruck - that places Prosche right at the same level as Tesla - yeah this is not what we pay a premium price for and Porsche has not and is not distinguishing itself with how this roll out is being handled.

the initial delivery roll out has been 100% a "sh*t show" - that's a fact supported by evidence…

my _ONLY_ hope is that once settled the product won't be too bad and these are just teething pains - but history indicates that is most likely false optimism on my part - rarely does stuff like this "get better" over time if they have this much trouble with initial deliveries.

I am searching my personal records for my "go to" Lemon law letter and will pre-fill the Macan and other information so that I'm ready when Porsche disappoints me with this vehicle…chance favors the prepared mind.

time will tell.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do want to cancel, but I don’t know what new car to choose.
this is the _ONLY_ reason I'm not shopping elsewhere right this moment! If this was the ICE market and product roll out was like thing I would avail myself of many many excellent alternatives…however EV's are still sooo new we have limited choice.

the Macan EV would be failed ICE product already if this was being done into a mature market.

but I am re-evaluating if I can handle the BMW iX's styling foo-paw's while I wait for Porsche to sort this mess…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my SA, general Manager, and sale manager at my dealership and my delivery representative with PCNA just eMai'ed me - that they can not provide a reliable estimate as to when they can deliver my already manufactured and present-on-the-ground-in-North-American 2024 Macan EV with VIN: WP1AC2XA4RL2xxxxx

yeah this is going great - they can not tell me when they can deliver a car they have already shipped to it's final destination…

I'm with out words to explain my thoughts.

well at least I haven't paid for it yet - which means Porsche is not booking revenue - that at least will get someone's attention - you would think.

tell me this is great sign.

fsabek

First Name
Fuwad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla model s, macan ev turbo waiting for software update at dealership
Country flag
my SA, general Manager, and sale manager at my dealership and my delivery representative with PCNA just eMai'ed me - that they can not provide a reliable estimate as to when they can deliver my already manufactured and present-on-the-ground-in-North-American 2024 Macan EV with VIN: WP1AC2XA4RL2xxxxx

yeah this is going great - they can not tell me when they can deliver a car they have already shipped to it's final destination…

I'm with out words to explain my thoughts.

well at least I haven't paid for it yet - which means Porsche is not booking revenue - that at least will get someone's attention - you would think.

tell me this is great sign.
I kinda agree with most of what you have mentioned. So when have your car been delivered to the dealer? and did they day it is the software delay thing that is delaying its delivery

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I kinda agree with most of what you have mentioned. So when have your car been delivered to the dealer? and did they day it is the software delay thing that is delaying its delivery
I'm scheduled for a PEC ATL delivery - but we're negotiating that given delays and my lack of enthusiasm for a road trip post October form Georgia to California

no one is coming forth with any concrete reason for the delay - just normal Porsche cone-of-silence-because-there-are-problems type of run around…

my feeling right now is…

:facepalm:

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At least, they tell the truth: delivery of a Macan EV is a totally unpredictable thing, it could be tomorrow or next month, who knows?
Enjoy your wait my friend, you aren’t alone in the dark :cool:
(hopefully it will be a fast delivery, as Diego for instance)