• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Singing at 65-70 mph

ColdCase

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
Country flag
I’m not sure I’m in the right section, but let me ask this here before chasing my tail with more test drives. I drove a Macan 4 on a highway and observed it singing between 65 and 70 mph. It is similar to tire noise or remote control model motor noise. Anyone else?

The Macan had 21 inch Michelins. I’m not sure what driving mode the SA selected but It was a mode that will gently slow a bit when the throttle pedal is released, not a coast mode. The singing was louder on deceleration. The SA thought that stretch of highway was noisy, so I didn’t pursue it. I’ve since driven my other cars on that stretch and they were quiet, no songs. So I now have second thoughts. But before I go back and drive another sample I thought I’d check in here if this is a known issue. My forum search didn’t find anything.

Last edited:

macanchan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E30/36/46 M3, 97 993TT, 08 S2K CR, 08 430 Scuderia
Country flag
Tires will make noise. sometimes it's more noticeable than other times. Try not to let it consume you... This is the exact reason why I opted for sport sound and Burmester stereo.

What is your tire PSI set to?

OP
OP

ColdCase

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
Country flag
This was a fresh dealer demonstrator. I'm pretty sure they set these up properly, after all it is a Porsche center, but I didn't double check. I know it is hard to tell over the web but I've been a car enthusiast for 50+ years. This was similar to tire noise in some ways. :)

macanchan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, you mean the brake recuperation / regen. the noise is normal.

OP
OP

ColdCase

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
Country flag
Ah, you mean the brake recuperation / regen. the noise is normal.
Perhaps for Porsche's system, but this car was singing annoyingly during a specific speed range at cruise and on/off throttle, just more noticeable off throttle. If thats normal for a Macan, it is going to be a deal breaker.

But I think I'm hearing here that this just may be a one off car. There are several discussions about noisy tires elsewhere, however.

As background, if it matters. I've been driving a Mini SE EV for near four years. So I'm familiar with how a BMW tech based EV drives, sounds, and feels. I don't recall the Mini singing to me. As the tires wear there is more and more noise, but thats across the board and not at a narrow speed range.. The VW ID.4 Pro I test drove awhile back doesn't sing nor the one my sister owns. Small sample size I know.

macanchan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please keep us updated and let us know when you test drive another one!