• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Storage Space Under Luggage Area

SteveY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Boxter Macan 4 EV
Country flag
For those of you who do not have the Bose subwoofer, I found that the travel charging bag fits in the cavity below the luggage area (see pic). I had to make sure all the components in the bag sat flat (not on top of each other). I also put in a movers padded blanket in case I need some extra protection while transporting large loads, like my Golden Retriever.

Electric Macan EV Storage Space Under Luggage Area Under Floor Storage

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this a great tip! but honestly I'm not sure how much one needs to bring their own EVSE (the porsche charger) with them these days…most charging these days when away from home will be via fast charger or some one elses EV chargers (chargepoint/EV go/business installed) - very very rarely these days do I need to plug into a bare/raw NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet - and Porsche for the Taycan does not recommend using 120V charging except in emergencies - see this thread for details and the official press release from Porsche…

also the Porsche charger is big/heavy - there are smaller/better mobile EVSE's that will take up less room vs. the Porsche option - for less than $400…

see this thread for my recommendations on what's likely to be used for road trips away from home with an EV…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/

this for example is an excellent mobile EVSE (EV charger) and takes up way way less room vs. the Porsche offering and has more plug adapters…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ooster-2-ev-charger-exclusive-discount.19684/

I _HIGHLY_ recommend one of thses for all eV owners if you plan to travel out of your local area - it will let you use J-1772 EV charger _AND_ Tesla (non-superchargers) - many many many Hotel/Business/Restaurants/Malls have Tesla chargers installed - and this simple adapter will let use these chargers for your Macan EV…http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

Last edited:

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
@SteveY
Good to know this.
I use this cable a lot when charging my BMW i4 at street poles, which I often do as I live in an apartment.
On many roads in the UK they have turned some lamp posts as charging points as well where you need your own cable, such as this, to charge.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@SteveY
Good to know this.
I use this cable a lot when charging my BMW i4 at street poles, which I often do as I live in an apartment.
On many roads in the UK they have turned some lamp posts as charging points as well where you need your own cable, such as this, to charge.
things are slightly different in North America vs Europe/UK

most/all "public/commercial" chargers in North America you need "nothing" with you to charge - the chargers provide the cable…

you only need to bring the porsche provided "cable" if you're going to be plugging into a "bare" NEMA outlet - and while there are those out there - they are most rare these days…

I did 5-6 road trips in my 2020 Taycan Turbo between 2021-2024 - I traveled with my full kit - in California/Oregon/Washington state(s) - each trip was 2000 miles or more - and 5-12 days - during those trips I NEVER had to use my own charger (EVSE) - 80% of miles were handled by CCS1 fast chargers - and the other 20% of the miles were handled by hotel chargers overnight - 50/50 J-1772 or NACS based slow L2 AC chargers via a TeslaTap…I never unpacked my mobile EVSE or any of the NEMA plug adapter - I traveled with the kit in my Taycan's frunk for personal security/comfort, but I was always able to find/plan to use a charger already installed/available where ever I needed to charge…this is different than my road trip experiences from 2011-2018 -where I would use my own charger a few times on each trip and it was required…

I've owned EV's since 2011 in north American - and in 2011-2017 it was somewhat common to find bare/exposed NEMA plugs/outlets for which you'd need your own EVSE to charge your EV - since about 2016 there has been a rise/increase in both fast/slow EV chargers and these days you are more likely to need a spare-tire than you are to need an EV charger (EVSE) with you when away from home…

the most common item I use when away from home is a TeslaTap (J-1772 to NACS) adapter to use Tesla chargers (non-superchargers) when visiting various businesses that have installed Tesla EV Chargers - I rarely rarely rarely need a full EVSE with me to actually plug into a "raw" outlet…they just are not available and/or common…

I know europe is different and I'm a bit jealous when I've traveled there of the EV chargers you can use if you simpy had the cable with you (like you mention) - but that's simply "not a thing" in North America - mostly you have a full charger to access to - or nothing…

I only recommend traveling with an EV charger if:
  • you want the security/assurance you can charge in any circumstance - but you still won't use it very often (or ever in your ownership period)
  • you specfically know you're going somewhere where you'll need to use a raw/bare NEMA outlet to charge your EV
    • remote vacation homes
      • friend/families cabin in the woods
    • camp-grounds with RV hook-up's
    • called ahead to a hotel you'll be staying at and they specifically provide NEMA outlets in the parking lot
    • race tracks with RV hook ups
    • concert venues and boat marina's with shore power outlets in the parking lot
    • going to be using a AC generator with NEMA-L socket hookups…
YMMV - but those are my experience as a long time eV owner and road-tripper on the west coast of North America…

I predict most Macan EV owners will never need to use their mobile EVSE (from Porsche or otherwise) during their ownership period - other than at home to charge their vehicle overnight…(unless you fit the criteria I listed above in the bullet points).

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
things are slightly different in North America vs Europe/UK

most/all "public/commercial" chargers in North America you need "nothing" with you to charge - the chargers provide the cable…

you only need to bring the porsche provided "cable" if you're going to be plugging into a "bare" NEMA outlet - and while there are those out there - they are most rare these days…

I did 5-6 road trips in my 2020 Taycan Turbo between 2021-2024 - I traveled with my full kit - in California/Oregon/Washington state(s) - each trip was 2000 miles or more - and 5-12 days - during those trips I NEVER had to use my own charger (EVSE) - 80% of miles were handled by CCS1 fast chargers - and the other 20% of the miles were handled by hotel chargers overnight - 50/50 J-1772 or NACS based slow L2 AC chargers via a TeslaTap…I never unpacked my mobile EVSE or any of the NEMA plug adapter - I traveled with the kit in my Taycan's frunk for personal security/comfort, but I was always able to find/plan to use a charger already installed/available where ever I needed to charge…this is different than my road trip experiences from 2011-2018 -where I would use my own charger a few times on each trip and it was required…

I've owned EV's since 2011 in north American - and in 2011-2017 it was somewhat common to find bare/exposed NEMA plugs/outlets for which you'd need your own EVSE to charge your EV - since about 2016 there has been a rise/increase in both fast/slow EV chargers and these days you are more likely to need a spare-tire than you are to need an EV charger (EVSE) with you when away from home…

the most common item I use when away from home is a TeslaTap (J-1772 to NACS) adapter to use Tesla chargers (non-superchargers) when visiting various businesses that have installed Tesla EV Chargers - I rarely rarely rarely need a full EVSE with me to actually plug into a "raw" outlet…they just are not available and/or common…

I know europe is different and I'm a bit jealous when I've traveled there of the EV chargers you can use if you simpy had the cable with you (like you mention) - but that's simply "not a thing" in North America - mostly you have a full charger to access to - or nothing…

I only recommend traveling with an EV charger if:
  • you want the security/assurance you can charge in any circumstance - but you still won't use it very often (or ever in your ownership period)
  • you specfically know you're going somewhere where you'll need to use a raw/bare NEMA outlet to charge your EV
    • remote vacation homes
      • friend/families cabin in the woods
    • camp-grounds with RV hook-up's
    • called ahead to a hotel you'll be staying at and they specifically provide NEMA outlets in the parking lot
    • race tracks with RV hook ups
    • concert venues and boat marina's with shore power outlets in the parking lot
    • going to be using a AC generator with NEMA-L socket hookups…
YMMV - but those are my experience as a long time eV owner and road-tripper on the west coast of North America…

I predict most Macan EV owners will never need to use their mobile EVSE (from Porsche or otherwise) during their ownership period - other than at home to charge their vehicle overnight…(unless you fit the criteria I listed above in the bullet points).
the most common NEMA outlets you'll encounter in north america are:
  • NEMA 14-50 (all RV friendly campground and some hotels) - 9.6 kW @ 240V/40 amps
  • NEMA 5-15 (common household outlets) - 1.44 kW @ 120V/12 amps - but Porsche does not recommend using these outlets except in "emergencies"
  • NEMA 5-20 - commonly found in garages in colder climates (ski resorts) for engine block heaters - porsche does not provide/manufacture a NEMA 5-20 adapter, but there are numerous options in this space, but given it's still 120V it's not recommended by porsche for charging
  • NEAM TT-30 - campground - 2.88 kW - 120V@24 amps
  • NEMA 6-50, 10-50, 14-30, 6-30, 10-30, SS-2238, 14L-30, and others are available but very very uncommon
    • I'd only recommend pursuing adatpers/power-supply adatper for these NEMA plug types if you have specific knowledges you'll have access to these types of plugs when away from homes - solutions are out there for these plug-types but they are rare and specific use cases and not common enough to warrant having them in all kits - most Ev owners will never encounter or need to use these plug types…
if you're going to charge a J-1772 EV at any of these plug types - you'll need your own EVSE (the porsche one or otherwise) and the necessary NEMA power supply cable to plug in your EVSE - Porsche only provides the NEMA 14-50/5-15 power supply cables as standard equipment - other NEMA plug-types must be purchased separately.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 Macan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good to know @SteveY. I struggle to understand, as others pointed out, the use case for having it in the car at all times with extra weight of no help either. My case is local driving, using top rated EVSE (Emporia) at home, several EA stations within 15-30 min, in addition to the dealer chargers, so this thing has been untouched sitting on a shelf. I thought of may be using it overnight at an out of town rental by plugging it into a household dryer vent, but most likely the cord length is not long enough to reach the car.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is a list of adatper types if one want to be "prepared" to charge anywhere - utilization of his full set of adapters will be VERY VERY LOW and I honestly think few if any owners will use _ANY_ of these during their full ownership period - but if one must be prepared this is the set of plug adapters one could choose to travel with so that they could charge _ANYWHERE_ in North America should it be required…

this posting is _NOT_ a recommendation - rather it's a road map for those that wish to understand the full picture what what you'd need to have with you if you wanted to "charge anywhere at any time at any plug'" - this is rarely necessary in 2024 and beyond…but was very very useful in the earlier days of eV ownership.

the EVSE listed below is the best North American mobile EVSE but requires a TeslaTap to use with J-1772 based EV's like Macan/taycan…

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector
https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle

add a TT-30 and an SS2-50P adapter(s) to the list below and you're fully covered for all your esoteric charging needs!

Electric Macan EV Storage Space Under Luggage Area Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 2.39.28 PM

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to know @SteveY. I struggle to understand, as others pointed out, the use case for having it in the car at all times with extra weight of no help either. My case is local driving, using top rated EVSE (Emporia) at home, several EA stations within 15-30 min, in addition to the dealer chargers, so this thing has been untouched sitting on a shelf.
it's a great place to store an EV charger and the posting is quite useful

my recommendation is that you leave the porsche charger plugged in and ready to do at home as your daily charger - and if you must travel with a EV charger (EVSE) purchase a smaller/lighter EVSE for your EV road warrior needs…the space under the trunk or frunk is the ideal space for your EV road warrior kit.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 Macan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
it's a great place to store an EV charger and the posting is quite useful

my recommendation is that you leave the porsche charger plugged in and ready to do at home as your daily charger - and if you must travel with a EV charger (EVSE) purchase a smaller/lighter EVSE for your EV road warrior needs…the space under the trunk or frunk is the ideal space for your EV road warrior kit.
I agree, the post is useful. My point was that the charger is not the best if not the worst for home charging and very clunky for installation and use as a permanent home EVSE.

You can have this mess:

Electric Macan EV Storage Space Under Luggage Area 1729806913499-2l

Or you can have this, with no sockets to overheat, copper wire tubes, or clunky charger holders.

Electric Macan EV Storage Space Under Luggage Area 1729806825343-gk

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, the post is useful. My point was that the charger is not the best if not the worst for home charging and very clunky for installation and use as a permanent home EVSE.

You can have this clunk:

1729806913499-2l.jpg

Or you this is what I have with no sockets, copper wire tubes, or clunky charger holders.

1729806825343-gk.jpg
those that know my history know I'm no fan of Porsche EVSE's - but that's kinda irrelevant to this discussion - I also prefer non-porsche EVSE's…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...uide-to-the-porsche-evse-pmc-pmcc-pwcc.13886/

there are far far better options vs. the PUC included with Macan - but since it's included most owners will choose to use it and not endure the cost/hassle of obtaining an alternative one…although that is my perference and the preference of many Taycan owners.