• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
OP
OP
mikelin7

mikelin7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan S
Country flag
Hi All,
Let me share my experience at the PEC Atlanta.
Day 1.
We took the redeye flight from LAX and arrived on Tuesday morning about 8:30am (EST), got picked up by Kimpton Hotel’s Courtesy vehicle - Lesley drove a brand new Cayenne and took us to the hotel. I am very fortunate that they were able to reserve a room for me so I am able to check-in in the morning and get freshen up before the lunch at PEC ATL.
During lunch we met the Porsche America PR coordinators, director and other winners, influencers (instagram , YouTuber) and TANNER FOUST!!!
Cant believe TANNER FOUST was there too…
After Lunch, we took the tour of the facility, it’s a beautiful multi-story building, ( Porsche North America HQ), it’s also got a heritage collection museum, a full wall of miniature car display of Porsche car timeline. It’s got every car imaginable. PEC LA is tiny compares to PEC Atlanta. I highly recommend for anyone who are interested of taking the performance driving from Porsche. Go visit the PEC Atlanta at least once in lifetime. You won’t forget the experices.

After the tour, they brought us to meet and greet the Porsche MACAN EV design teams from Germany about 1/2 an hour of technical aspect of the new Macan EV. I will upload the video to YouTube later. So they brought two MACAN in the building for static display. Macan EV 4 and Macan EV turbo.
So basically, there are million different customizable options available to choose from. The main selling point is the heads-up display which covers 20% of windshield area. I will explain this later and the adaptive suspension is standard on all trim in US spec cars. You can really make the car as unique as possible. They also introduced two more new models, Macan EV ( rear drive only) and Macan EV 4S (around 500HP. Which sits nicely between Turbo and 4). This Macan EV 4S would probably be the most popular. It would go on for sale in the spring next year for staring price about 85,000.
I skipped the part where they sit down and go over customization your own individual car on screen and going over ever single option and details . I think since this depends on individual taste and I can do that on my computer, so I decided to head back to hotel and get some rest before dinner.

The last event of the car is dinner at 356 restaurant. It was really nice experience, someone is playing violin/jazz and we just sat in a big table and enjoy dinner and wine. The dinner was great, I got the filet roast beef which was very delicious. Have to try it when visit 356 restaurant.

This conclude day 1 of the event, so there are total 10 winners plus their guest and 5 influencers plus their guest and a special guest: Tanner Foust. After dinner we are free to roam around Porsche PEC and took some night pictures and see Delta airlines fly by since the airport is right next to the faculty.

OP
OP
mikelin7

mikelin7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan S
Country flag
Day 2
This is the most exciting part of our trip. We get to drive the new Macan EV “Turbo” on the PEC ATL race tracks, compete in the racing simulators and get to ride with professional driver in the new 911 GTS.

First thing in the morning, I almost miss the breakfast at 8:00-8:30, I woke up at 8:25 due to jet lag 😿😿. Quickly ran down the hotel and ran across the street to Porsche PEC. That is why if you guys plan to visit PEC ATL, stay in Kimpton hotel, it was literally 2 min walk.
After breakfast, we went to a safety meeting room where we meet up PEC safety coordinator and panel discussion with Tanner. I will post the video later. After discussion with Tanner, there was 30 min of safety discussion and race track introduction.
There will be 5 different tracks that we will be using to test out the new Macan EV. 1. Full racing track 2, straight line acceleration and deceleration 3, Salom 4, skid plate 5. Donut circle

Due to availability of Macan EV so they split us into two groups, one group goes to play simulator and the other group got to test drive Macan first. I was lucky to be the test drive group and to our surprises, they also brought ICE MACAN GTS for comparison. This is just getting even more exciting.

THIS IS THE PART YOU GUYS ARE WAITING FOR: The dynamic of the new Macan EV compares to ICE Macan.

I took the white MaCan EV turbo, and as soon as I sat inside I was greeted with large/ oversized heads-up display. I was shocked on how clear and how big it was. The speedometer display was large and clear. Unfortunately this was a Germany spec’d car and in a racetrack I wasn’t able to input address to see guidance. and I didn’t have much time to play with other feature as we are heading out to race track.

I was guided by a professional driver- Sean told me to stop at the cone and once the track is clear floor the car and take off. I was surprised how quickly the car picked up the speed. The speed cannot be this fast for an 5000 lbs SUV. It feels light and nimble during hard acceleration and next thing we know the corner is coming up fast and needs to go to step hard on the brake and ready for the right hand turn and a sharp left turn right afterwords, going thru some switch back left and right and up the a crest into a sharp right turn and immediate sharp left turn and we got a nice big long straight reaching top speed of 100 miles per hour before I have to press the brake hard for following two right hand sweep. Oh mine oh mine. Trust me. This Baby MACAN turbo can do anything. I know the car can do more and it wants to do more. It wants to go faster, turn harder but with my limited amount of driving skills. I was afraid to push even further. The performance of this Macan Turbo is ever closer to true Porsche blood. It’s got racing blood in its DNA. There is no other compact SUV can do what I just did on track, the closet I can think of maybe BMW X3M? But even that car can’t match the Performace and dynamic of this MACAN. Later we did the straight line acceleration and braking test. It’s always to know the Porsche brake are always there to keep us out of trouble. We also did the salom. The rear wheel steering makes the car very nimble and easy to turn left and right.

After salom, we did the skid plate. So what it’s does is that there is plate on the floor and plate is going to slide left or right when the rear wheel goes over it. We drove the car about 20 mph over the skid plate, So we had little time to react and counter the steering wheel to make the car straight while the car is traveling down on a less frictional surface. I was able to make the car straight in an instant. So not too much drama , but I do see other spinning out of control.

To be continued,

Last edited:

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Thanks for sharing these!

You also had thoughts about the Augmented Reality HUD?

OP
OP
mikelin7

mikelin7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan S
Country flag
Hi Guys, Thank you for waiting, Jetlag is no joke....

Continue from previous post,

As we drove past the skid plate, we went on to the 360 circle with wetted skid pad. This is the place we went test out the different setting of Porsche Traction Control - Porsche Stability Management (PSM) or another word they called it "Please Save Me". I first with the system complete turned off, and the instructor told me to step on the paddle and floor it. As soon as I floor it, the car quickly did a 360 without any of my steering input, I looked at the speedo and I was doing it less than 10 mph. I was surprised on how slippery the skid pad was. After a few try with PSM off as I have no way to hold the drift, the instructor push the PSM once. Now we are on PSM sport mode, it means that the traction control will not intervene unless you are in deep trouble. This time I was able to make the Macan EV to slide a little bit and hold at the angle for brief second until I loose the momentum. But it was still hard to hold the drift more than 5 second. And now, the instructor push the PSM button again to engage PSM fully. What the difference does it make, I was able to half throttle the Macan, getting the car side-ways and holding the drift and the system allows me to hold the drift. There is no drama, it was easy to just like the system take care of you. I was trying out different input on the pedal and steering angle and at the end the system kicks in and save you from spinning out. I was amazed how well the system has worked, there was no moment that you felt the system was cutting too much power from your right foot or you felt that the system was working too aggressive. All I can say was, I am not a Rally Cross or some Japanese Drifter, but with PSM system on that day, I sure feel like I should win some kinds of trophy for drifting the Macan EV turbo.

After the wetted skid pad, we went back to the paddock and swap to gasoline powered Macan GTS. I really like that fact that bring out the Macan GTS as comparison. Porsche are not afraid of using there own product and compare among themselves. I gave them big thumb on that. So as I strap myself into the driver's seat and with new instructor plus my wife in the backseat filming and we are ready to do some serious comparison.

Comparing the Macan EV Turbo and Macan GTS:

I know there are power deficiency and the power delivery are totally different between the two. I am more focus on driving dynamic and overall ride quality. As soon I floor the Macan (GTS), hearing the sound of V-6 turbo spooling up, and the exhaust sound coming from the back. My blood was pumping again. First turn quickly comes up and as I making slight right turn, I notice the body roll was more significate compares to Macan EV (turbo). GTS was not as agile as Turbo. GTS has more lean and does not like to be toss around. I feel like I can take turn faster on the Turbo as my later video shows that I was going about 5-6mph faster on the same corner. As I going over the crest and into the straight, the GTS hesitant a little and downshift to 2nd, and this is where Turbo shines which has only one gear. Turbo would pick up right away and going down the straight and peaks about 95-98mph, and on the other hand GTS will peaks about 76-80mph at the end of the straight. The brake on the GTS does not give me confidence, it does not bite as hard as Turbo. I don't know if the brakes are different in term of size or compound. But turbo brake are much suitable for the track than GTS. How about overall ride quality between the two you might ask. Perhaps GTS is more suitable for the street rather than the track one might think. But here is my honest opinion, GTS chassis just feel outdated compares to Turbo. The air suspension on the TURBO was much smoother on the pavement and able to adopt faster on the racetrack. I also like the synthetic noise made from Turbo, it was never too intrusive or too fake. The only one thing I wish they had on Macan EV is the roof spoiler and rear wiper as standard. Other than that I am gear toward Macan EV than Gas powered Macan. There are two things I wish they kept, one big piece giant hood and the 22" RS-wheel.

In regards to Augmented Reality HUD, unfortuantely, this is german spec'd car that we drove on the track, the only thing that was shown was speedo. The navigation system was not available for me to try nor other options were available to play with. The only things that was shown on my HUD was the speedo only. But it was very bright and at perfect location. I felt my BMW HUD was a little low and less bright even at the brightest setting.

To be Continued....

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hi Guys, Thank you for waiting, Jetlag is no joke....

Continue from previous post,

As we drove past the skid plate, we went on to the 360 circle with wetted skid pad. This is the place we went test out the different setting of Porsche Traction Control - Porsche Stability Management (PSM) or another word they called it "Please Save Me". I first with the system complete turned off, and the instructor told me to step on the paddle and floor it. As soon as I floor it, the car quickly did a 360 without any of my steering input, I looked at the speedo and I was doing it less than 10 mph. I was surprised on how slippery the skid pad was. After a few try with PSM off as I have no way to hold the drift, the instructor push the PSM once. Now we are on PSM sport mode, it means that the traction control will not intervene unless you are in deep trouble. This time I was able to make the Macan EV to slide a little bit and hold at the angle for brief second until I loose the momentum. But it was still hard to hold the drift more than 5 second. And now, the instructor push the PSM button again to engage PSM fully. What the difference does it make, I was able to half throttle the Macan, getting the car side-ways and holding the drift and the system allows me to hold the drift. There is no drama, it was easy to just like the system take care of you. I was trying out different input on the pedal and steering angle and at the end the system kicks in and save you from spinning out. I was amazed how well the system has worked, there was no moment that you felt the system was cutting too much power from your right foot or you felt that the system was working too aggressive. All I can say was, I am not a Rally Cross or some Japanese Drifter, but with PSM system on that day, I sure feel like I should win some kinds of trophy for drifting the Macan EV turbo.

After the wetted skid pad, we went back to the paddock and swap to gasoline powered Macan GTS. I really like that fact that bring out the Macan GTS as comparison. Porsche are not afraid of using there own product and compare among themselves. I gave them big thumb on that. So as I strap myself into the driver's seat and with new instructor plus my wife in the backseat filming and we are ready to do some serious comparison.

Comparing the Macan EV Turbo and Macan GTS:

I know there are power deficiency and the power delivery are totally different between the two. I am more focus on driving dynamic and overall ride quality. As soon I floor the Macan (GTS), hearing the sound of V-6 turbo spooling up, and the exhaust sound coming from the back. My blood was pumping again. First turn quickly comes up and as I making slight right turn, I notice the body roll was more significate compares to Macan EV (turbo). GTS was not as agile as Turbo. GTS has more lean and does not like to be toss around. I feel like I can take turn faster on the Turbo as my later video shows that I was going about 5-6mph faster on the same corner. As I going over the crest and into the straight, the GTS hesitant a little and downshift to 2nd, and this is where Turbo shines which has only one gear. Turbo would pick up right away and going down the straight and peaks about 95-98mph, and on the other hand GTS will peaks about 76-80mph at the end of the straight. The brake on the GTS does not give me confidence, it does not bite as hard as Turbo. I don't know if the brakes are different in term of size or compound. But turbo brake are much suitable for the track than GTS. How about overall ride quality between the two you might ask. Perhaps GTS is more suitable for the street rather than the track one might think. But here is my honest opinion, GTS chassis just feel outdated compares to Turbo. The air suspension on the TURBO was much smoother on the pavement and able to adopt faster on the racetrack. I also like the synthetic noise made from Turbo, it was never too intrusive or too fake. The only one thing I wish they had on Macan EV is the roof spoiler and rear wiper as standard. Other than that I am gear toward Macan EV than Gas powered Macan. There are two things I wish they kept, one big piece giant hood and the 22" RS-wheel.

In regards to Augmented Reality HUD, unfortuantely, this is german spec'd car that we drove on the track, the only thing that was shown was speedo. The navigation system was not available for me to try nor other options were available to play with. The only things that was shown on my HUD was the speedo only. But it was very bright and at perfect location. I felt my BMW HUD was a little low and less bright even at the brightest setting.

To be Continued....
low center of gravity and instant EV torque is addicting - once you go EV it's hard to go back…

thanks for the write up.