• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

What do you see a Macan EV Competitors?

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
First post on the Macan forum, but long-time member of the Taycan Forum. I have a 2021 Taycan 4S and am considering moving from the Taycan to a Macan EV 4S since it is a more versatile car and better fits my current needs. I used the configurator to spec a Macan 4S and it comes to about $105K (only about $4K more than a similarly equipped 4). I have located a dealer with an allocation that requires a deposit of $2500 that is fully refundable until the car locks.

As part of my diligence, I want to consider what other cars are direct competitors to the Macan EV so that I can research and possibly test drive them while I wait for the Macan 4S to lock. What are your thoughts? See below for some EV SUVs that come to mind. Many of these seem to be larger than the Macan, which is about the right size for our needs.

Tesla Model Y - We already have a 2023 Model Y Long Range that we plan to gift to our son next spring when he graduates from college. Great car for the money, but not in the same category as a Porsche. We are also not eager to continue to support Elon.....
Cadillac Lyriq?
Polestar 3? Polestar 4?
Mercedes EQE?
Audi? Not sure which model is the Audi version of the Macan EV
BMW iX - seems well rated, but larger than we want and ugly
Others? Obviously there are Hyundai and Kia EVs that are well rated, but again not in the same class as a Porsche.

It also strikes me that there are not likely to be any deals on the Macan EV at first, and Porsche leases tend to be terrible even with the $7500 tax credit included as a capital cost reduction. Nearly all currently available EV's have good lease deals, so financially leasing one of the competitor models may be a financially wiser choice, though maybe not as satisfying as driving a Porsche.

I welcome your comments.

John

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Your point about spending less being a more sound financial decision is spot on @jkjjpc.

No one needs to spend 6 digits on a car and a Tesla Y would work well for most people - as would Hyundai or KIA. They just don’t compare to a Porsche.

The Lyriq is premium but not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.

I found the Polestars to be underwhelming in their design, especially the interiors (2/3/4) and in their driving (2).

The EQE is premium for sure and while not super fast, could be a contender.

The Audi Q6 e-tron (or SQ6) is the rival of the Macan - getting good reviews too. But I don’t love the interior.

I really wanted to love the iX (I’m a former Bimmer guy) but I just don’t. The M variant has plenty of power that said.

The Genesis GV60 has Porsche vibes (mostly the rear) and is fun to drive, but the range is subpar.

The Lotus Eletre is premium and sporty… but even more expensive than the Macan.

Fact is today, there is no other car that I would consider seriously besides the Macan. But I am looking for a luxury SUV that drives like a sport car. Fantastic driving dynamics that will put a smile on my face and still have a good range.

What are you looking for?

Salmonfisher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2 plus/pilot
Country flag
I have a returnable deposit on a Macan 4 EV in UK and am also looking at what else there is. I have a Polestar 2 LRDM at the moment and love it. Surprised you didn't like P2. Having drivenTesla 3 and Ys the P2 is miles ahead in terms of comfort and handling and as quick. The key thing is they have to be on 19" wheels or the suspension is too hard. Obvioyusly design is a personal preference. I haven't gone for a 4 because too wide for UK roads (much wider than Macan) and 3 is just too big. Quite tempted by an VW ID 7 estate (not sure its called that in USA) now it comes with larger battery and AWD in GTX form. Sat in one and was surprisingly impressed although I haven't had a chance to drive. There is the Eletre as you say which is gorgeous but expensive and again too big for me. I tried a BMW I4 but too low and small and just didn't like it. So the Macan is favourite unless I put my sensible head on and buy a six month old MY24 P2 with the uprated range and battery and save myself half the price on the Macan given current depreciation on all EVs in UK!

shawn

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Model Y, Model 3, XC 40
Country flag
First post on the Macan forum, but long-time member of the Taycan Forum. I have a 2021 Taycan 4S and am considering moving from the Taycan to a Macan EV 4S since it is a more versatile car and better fits my current needs. I used the configurator to spec a Macan 4S and it comes to about $105K (only about $4K more than a similarly equipped 4). I have located a dealer with an allocation that requires a deposit of $2500 that is fully refundable until the car locks.

As part of my diligence, I want to consider what other cars are direct competitors to the Macan EV so that I can research and possibly test drive them while I wait for the Macan 4S to lock. What are your thoughts? See below for some EV SUVs that come to mind. Many of these seem to be larger than the Macan, which is about the right size for our needs.

Tesla Model Y - We already have a 2023 Model Y Long Range that we plan to gift to our son next spring when he graduates from college. Great car for the money, but not in the same category as a Porsche. We are also not eager to continue to support Elon.....
Cadillac Lyriq?
Polestar 3? Polestar 4?
Mercedes EQE?
Others? Obviously there are Hyundai and Kia EVs that are well rated, but again not in the same class as a Porsche.

It also strikes me that there are not likely to be any deals on the Macan EV at first, and Porsche leases tend to be terrible even with the $7500 tax credit included as a capital cost reduction. Nearly all currently available EV's have good lease deals, so financially leasing one of the competitor models may be a financially wiser choice, though maybe not as satisfying as driving a Porsche.

I welcome your comments.

John
Dismissed most of the models you mention.

The only up coming EVs that have some interest is the new BMW redesigns Neue Klasse

and the Rivian R3x.
https://insideevs.com/reviews/719346/rivian-r3x-price-range-specs/

That said, while the above 2 up coming EVs are interesting I doubt they will be Porsche competitors....so I don't think there is anything out there now or in the near future that will be better than the Macan EV...except maybe the Cayenne EV in 2026 :)

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Polestar 2 LRDM at the moment and love it. Surprised you didn't like P2. Having drivenTesla 3 and Ys the P2 is miles ahead in terms of comfort and handling and as quick. The key thing is they have to be on 19" wheels or the suspension is too hard.
The suspension didn’t bug me, but the finishes of the interior really did. It felt really cheap and the center console bulky.

The acceleration and handling was fine but the breaking was lackluster I found.

Also really disliked how they implemented cruising vs regen, felt it behaved weirdly. On a ICE car (and the EVs that support it), if you let go of the gas, the car stays at that speed for a short bit and slowly loses momentum/slows down.
On the P2, letting go of the gas had the car slightly lurch forward and maintain the speed much longer than it should before slowing down.

Oh and the turn signals, the click-clock sound it made was plain weird.

It was one of the earlier ones so maybe they fixed/improved things since - but yeah, not convinced.
And seeing the 3/4 at the NY Auto Show, while they’ve improved the interiors over the 2, still not my cup of tea.

But not saying Tesla is better either. ;)

Quite tempted by an VW ID 7 estate (not sure its called that in USA) now it comes with larger battery and AWD in GTX form. Sat in one and was surprisingly impressed although I haven't had a chance to drive.
Not familiar with it, will check it!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The simple answer is the Macan won't have real apples to apples (ish) competition until things like the Range Rover EV and the Rivian R2.

Everything else has small batteries and/or much worse quality and/or much worse looks and/or much worse driving.

You could look at an EV6 or Ioniq, but obviously you're losing a lot of quality and battery size. Be very careful buying one of those if you want winter range, they see unbelievable cold weather range loss.

The iX is very practical but ugly, bigger, and doesn't drive very well (plus the worst steering wheel this side of Tesla). And for the love of everything don't pay more than 60% of MSRP for one. But it's otherwise super awesome. Comfortable, fantastic range, quiet, solid.

Then there are just a bunch of generic "meh" EVs. The Genesis, Polestar, etc.

Last edited:

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
We have and love our iX M60. With its 610 HP and 833 TQ it is fast as hell. Yet also a great road tripper. It is beyond comfortable and capable too. Like drIrving a high quality couch. But candidly it is so good in the latter two categories of comfort and capable, that driving it is not like driving a sports car. In short it is far from the exciting e-ticket thrill ride that the Macan Turbo will be. Yes, we will even above BMW’s high pricing, be paying the Porsche premium to get our Macan Turbo — but to us it will be worth it. Listening to savagegeese describing their enjoyment in driving the Macan Turbo on the roads above Nice, saying it is “as capable on these curvy roads as any sports car of the last five years, and it could easily keep up with all of them here,” — and that is why we are not considering the first few years of the Neue Klasse. Maybe starting in years 3+ after 2026 Neue Klasse is purchasable, a couple of the future BMW Neue Klasse models might become a passionate thrill ride, but even BMW is saying that they are first rolling out six (more daily-driver-like) models.

mako

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 T8
Country flag
Cadillac Lyriq?
Polestar 3? Polestar 4?
Mercedes EQE?
I had similar thought process before deciding to order Macan.

Audi Q6 is very comfortable and there seems to be more space than Macan has, but after an hour test drive I didn't have any desire to own one. A bit boring.

Then I tested Polestar 3. It was some kind of beta version from manufacturer. Felt like a huge iPhone, very futuristic and clean design. However, the car is too big for me and I'm a bit worried about Polestar's financial situation. EU has just decided on 20% import tax for Chinese cars and it will hit Polestar badly.

M-B EQE - don't like the interior design. BWM iX - don't like exterior design. So, here we are. :)

bbmertz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla Y, Ford F-150
Country flag
The only vehicle I view as a true competitor would be the 2027 BMW iX4. I’ve enjoyed driving a Tesla dual-motor long range model Y for the past 4 years but don’t believe it to be in the same luxury sports car class as the Macan, although it has a much lower price.

I saw the Polestar 4 last month but thought it had an odd design and is unlikely to perform as well as the Macan.

Jurgen54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 EV
Country flag
Thanks for asking this question; I wish I'd found this forum six months ago! I felt validated in reading the alternatives everyone has looked at, as I found all the same limitations and "cons". The only other cars I looked at were some Lucid models, which were pretty nice, but I didn't want a sedan. Their new SUV is coming out soon, but it doesn't have that sporty look of the Macan.

After months of research, inputting data into my spreadsheets, and watching YouTube videos, I felt the Macan EV was the best across all quantitative categories (range, HP, etc) and subjective ones (style and fun). Can't wait for mine to arrive!

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve enjoyed driving a Tesla dual-motor long range model Y for the past 4 years but don’t believe it to be in the same luxury sports car class as the Macan, although it has a much lower price.
The Tesla Y has a lot going on for it but I don’t think it was ever classified as luxury. You are right, not the same car category.

MjrPayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace MY19, Jaguar XJ SV8 MY04
Country flag
Jaguar I-Pace would be direct competition to Macan but its EV tech is old and it's the end of production. I still like it' best looking SUV EV and has more comfortable seat than Macan. Driving and Handling comparison still waits for change to drive Macan, but I-Pace is best of its class, so I don't expect much difference.

New models Maserati Grecale Folgore is direct competitor to Macan Turbo but too expensive to compete against 4 or 4S.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New models Maserati Grecale Folgore is direct competitor to Macan Turbo but too expensive to compete against 4 or 4S.
Good call on the Grecale! Wouldn’t it compete specs-wise with the 4S but priced as a Turbo?

Shame it doesn’t DC charge super fast for road trips, but at home it can be faster than the Macan.

It’s a good looking car but I still prefer the Macan interior personally.

mako

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 T8
Country flag
Jaguar I-Pace would be direct competition to Macan but its EV tech is old and it's the end of production. I still like it' best looking SUV EV and has more comfortable seat than Macan. Driving and Handling comparison still waits for change to drive Macan, but I-Pace is best of its class, so I don't expect much difference.

For me Macan Turbo with 4 wheel steering is the second best driving and handling EV, after Taycan. But Macan is more versatile with air suspension. I-Pace was ok but I felt Macan is way better.

Regarding Grecale, some reviews says test drive is mandatory before buying, because it's handling is extremely sensitive, maybe too nervous for long trips.