• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
more thoughts/pics later - but here is the thumbnail review of my Macan experience @ PECLA
tldr; the Macan EV has all the pro's and all the con's of the gas Macan - but has the performance of the Taycan and EV's in general - and is well implemented EV - if you love the gas Macan you'll love the Macan EV - for me personally I'm all in.
more details in later posts - I'm about to lose connectivity on the plane…

but overall good day - didn't learn anythnig I didn't know - but confirmed that it's a great car from a great brand and is simply a Macan that happens to be an EV - which is wonderful sauce in my book!!

Gentian Blue Metallic

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) Macan EV Gentian Blue Metallic 3

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) Macan EV Gentian Blue Metallic 2

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) Macan EV Gentian Blue Metallic 1

Ruby Copper Metallic Macan EV …

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) Ruby Copper Metallic Macan EV 1

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) Ruby Copper Metallic Macan EV 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 LR '21 - Macan 4 expected arrival 20/9/24
Country flag
Looking forward for your full review and pics!!

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
And I do like the standard Turbo 20 inch rims … blacked out they will look even better.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ok here are some thoughts (in no particular order) - these are personal opinions - not absolute conclusions…

Disclaimer: I've never owned a Macan - I have less than 2 hours of seat time in _ANY_ Macan since about 2014 - I can not tell you if this Macan is better/worse/different than the gas version. I am NOT your source if you want to know how the Macan EV compares to your beloved 2019 Macan Turbo (or some such)…I can speculate with great confidence that while "high end" Macan's may have excellent power delivery - the vast majority of Macan's sold, are Base or "S" models that I would suggest mitgate, but do not eliminate the traditional characteristics of a high-volume ICE vehicle with various configurations of 4 cylinder/6 cylinder + turbo(s) - good cars, but at the end of the day still an ICE (a good ICE, a great ICE, but still an ICE power train)…in short they will not impress anyone with any EV seat time or sports car affinity…simply being an EV changes all of that as most of us on this forum known and understand…

EV drive trains are generally speaking a revelation to this "non-EV savvy crowd" of people - if you're not steeped in EV drive train experience and are coming from a purely ICE background (which let's face it the vast majority of people are still lacking EV experience) - this Macan and it's EV performance is going to impress. Finally a decent mid-sized SUV with excellent build quality and sports-car/Tesla like performance - yes please! sign me up! It should be a mind blowing revelation for most of the Macan "audience"…but all it is, is what an EV can be which some of have know since 2012 :rock:

I've NEVER liked the Macan because my 1st impression was years ago at a Porsche Ice Driving experience in Montreal, Canada when the Macan was the "new shiny" - they gave drifting "demo" rides showing off the Macan's capabilities - and I got the back seat - you know the one with no leg room and my knees touching my chin during a drifting demo on a bump ice handling course with studded tires - yeah that Macan - Porsche did themselves no favors that day for me Personally…I also had 3 small children and needed something "larger" for family - so the Macan based on that single demo ride was never my "thing" because Porsche damaged it in my brain…as an ok sporty mid-sized SUV with no real back seat…true or false, that is my truth!

fast forward to June 2024 - no longer have 3 small children - loved my Taycan - want my next EV - but wanted something more "practical" than Taycan (costco runs, track equipment hauler, light duty cargo that doesn't "fit" in a trunk). The Macan backseat is still small, but it's no smaller than the Taycan's back seat, and in fact a bit more roomy than the Taycan's back seat - I don't know exactly if it's larger, the same, smaller vs. Taycan - the point is it's certainly no worse than the Taycan - and I did just fine with the Taycan for nearly 4 years, I'm sure the Macan will do equally fine, I drive alone 94.3567% of the time in this vehicle…we'll be fine - enter the Macan as a viable option…

if I need a more roomy back seat I own an Cayenne eHybrid - so the Macan can be my daily, and the Cayenne when we need a "bigger" vehicle for various reasons - all based covered!

1st off…

I DID NOT GET TO DRIVE THE MACAN EV

according to Porsche rep's these are pre-production euro-spec vehicle's "on loan" from Porsche Germany - no information was shared specifically addressing what might be different from production vs. these vehicle's and nothing specifically was discussed about differences between euro-spec and North American spec vehicle's - my guess/speculation is that any differences are minor in nature and these vehicles are pretty close to "final" - but we'll have to wait and see.

Eurospec car because it has the Nifty European to J-1772 North American Adapter sitting in the cup-holder - LOL

Top Takeaway - looking at the vehicle and sitting it in you'd be hard pressed to identify it as an EV vs. a gas Macan - it has all the characteristics of a refreshed Macan - but at the end of the day it's a Macan. If you like/love the Macan, you'll love this Macan, if the previous Macan was not for you because of size/shape/interior space - not much has changes. Any difference in size/capacity in my opinion is in-consequential. It still comes in as a Mid-sized SUV with adequate cargo/passenger volume + frunk - it's no Cayenne in terms of space/volume.

It's a nearly perfect daily grocery getter and pharmacy, kids, errands - daily chore vehicle if you want something upscale, nice, easy, and pleasant.

Top Impression (all based on a 15-20 demo run on PECLA various courses) - I was NOT driving:
  • It's a Macan - nothing more, nothing less
  • It's proper EV quick
    • no laggy turbo here - with a hamster driven V6 straining to hit 95 mph - if you've driven a Taycan/Tesla and love the EV drive train - this is _YOUR_ Macan
  • It's has all the normal EV characteristics - low CG - great throttle response - excellent Porsche brakes
  • It lacks the Taycan two speed transmission - I never liked that about the Taycan and always seemed to me like a solution in search of a problem - still not sure it's entirely necessary or beneficial in Taycan - but I digress
  • Regen handles upto 0.4 g's deceleration - Porsche's "new" claim is it handles 98% of normal daily driving chores - this is specifically a different briefing from the 90% number bantered about during Taycan roll out
    • not sure if they've changed anything vs. Porsche just now has more experience/data from their Taycan fleet and Macan testing that they have more confidence to make public claims as to regen
    • still no one pedal driving and when challenged Porsche is still sticking to their guns as to "it's better" and it's for "the driver" - representatives clearly has specific talking points prepared for this
    • hmmm - no PCCB option - could this be Porsche admitting that PCCB's are pointless on an EV - no I doubt it - probably simplifying the production logistics of roll out and ramp up - and also based on years of sales experience for the ICE macan the "take rate" of PCCB's might be low enough for this audience that yeah we dont' need those options.
  • I rode back seat Macan Turbo for on course demo
  • Acceleration is ample - I've driven Tesla's since 2013 so EV acceleration demo's are the norm for me and I long ago became to believe good/fast/quick acceleration is table-stakes for any EV and no longer the party trick it once was for ICE vehicle's - but Porsche's not selling to me - they are selling to their Petrol heads - it's proper EV quick - move on :CWL:
  • RIDE QUALITY IS EXCELLENT - I was in the back seat - and body roll and bump-absorption was impressive. I've driven the PECLA courses, and they have some bumps, cracks, and various undulations - at speed and "underload" the Macan EV was flawless…air suspension ride quality based on my impressions is world class for this type of vehicle and more than enough
    • PECLA has "nurburgring carousel" replica - which is a high camber hairpin turn with concrete blocks with lots of seams making up the "carousel" - take this in a GT3 and you'll test your dental work - the Macan EV was silky smooth - and coming out of the carousel back onto the acceleration straight there are some undulations/small bumps…wow nothing - car just "absorbed" the bumps with barely any notice given…
    • air suspension Macan EV Turbo - sign me up as a big fat yes!!!
    • if there are problems they are not unique or "in your face" - it's a world class Porsche worthy setup.
  • my take away I keep coming back to - it's simply a Macan - an excellent well done Macan - if you want a Macan "type" vehicle - there is NO REASON not to consider this vehicle
    • personally I can't see why anyone would take an ICE Macan over the EV version - but that's just me…head to head and if you actually drove both - it would be hard for me to imagine anyone would "prefer" the gas version
    • given the "advantages" of an EV I'd take this version over any of the gas versions any day of the week
  • back cargo room is sufficient, expected, and normal for Macan - this version has slightly more cubic volume with seats up vs. ICE version, but slightly less cubic volume with the seats down - at the end of the day it's a Macan - it has more space than my Taycan't truck, and the larger load opening - this ticks my boxes
    • if I was going to get the "refresh" Taycan I was going to get the CT/ST to tick this box…I was done done done with a sedan Truck and small opening
    • once again Macan fits the bill in this space for my personally
  • Macan frunk is adequate - almost exactly the same cubic measurements according to Porsche stats as Taycan's frunk - but shaped differently - it's sloped shaped with no flat bottom, but still has ample volume - EV road warrior kit should fit nicely - just like it did in my Taycan…
  • Seating position is excellent
  • victory the 911 steering wheel design has won
  • Driver's seat can go crazy crazy low - too low - first car I've ever sat in where for me personally the seat goes "too low" - if you're tall and need head room - this car is for you!!!
    • this will be the first car I've owned in recent and not so recent memory when the seat position for me personally will NOT be the lowest postion - I'll have to raise it a bit off the "bottom" setting for my comfort and vision.
  • Porsche build quality, excellent interior touches - if you love Porsche and their interiors - yeah nothing to see here - it's there - you'll be fine.
  • rear cargo area on the airsupension model has the "lower rear bumper" button to lower the load deck - nice touch!
  • the HUD/AR - OMG the HUD - I lack a broad sampling of HUD technology from across the industry - but I have the HUD on my 2021 Cayenne eHybrid - and it's ok - but nothing great. Purely comparing the Macan EV hud to the current generation Porsche's HUD's - the Macan's HUD is next level for Porsche - bravo Porsche - this truly should be an upgrade. This is NOT your Cayenne's/Taycan's HUD - it's a new HUD with new capabilities - I'm looking forward to playing with it in real life…
  • nice center console - it's open and easy to access the "lower deck" vs. Taycan - should be good to live with day to day
  • rear seat room was "tight" but should be fine - acceptable for my 6'1" friend even with driver's seat all the way back - move the driver's seat forward a bit and you should be GTG…
  • middle seat is no worse/better than Taycan - probably not a deal breaker for 99% of buyer or actual daily usage - if middle seat room/comfort is your thing this is not your vehicle.
  • car looks awesome in person - no one will make fun of you for showing up in this vehicle
    • again here Porsche has gone with - it's just a Macan refresh. To people that "dont' care" they wont' even realize it's not a gas Macan - it's just a Macan
  • charging was discussed by not demonstrated - but is supposed to be just like Taycan - but slightly better than Taycan - Porsche's official numbers are 21 min to 80% battery at 350 kW station vs. the 22 min number shared during Taycan roll out - I think we can all comfortably assume Macan is equal or slightly better vs. gen 1 Taycan's - which BTW based on 4 years of ownership of my Taycan was it's a charging beast when the charger's work
  • Porsche really really really did not like talking about Supercharger's, Electrify America, or the NACS transiton - they are ill equipped to handle this world and really really don't like this stuff being outside their control and they know it sucks - they changed subject every time it was brought up.
    • most of the Taycan forum participants are better briefed and knowledgable about the state of charging vs. anyone at this demonstration or probably in Porsche as a whole
    • this points to an ongoing "issue" in this space - these ICE legacy companies are still not "all in" on this whole EV thing and they really really resist learning in this space.
    • I have every confidence Macan EV will charge just fine and quite fast if the charger is functional - and given that Taycan is still the best production EV for charging and the Macan EV will equal that benchmark - the _ONLY_ vehicle likely to be next to you at a charging station that is faster is the Taycan Gen2…
    • so even if the Macan EV is not the fastest charging EV on the market (which I doubt) it's certainly "top 5" of all EV's at a functional/optimal 350 kW CCS1 station.
  • Porsche did not have the Macan EV home charger for me to inspect - I was disappointed
  • no phone as a key support - Porsche reps had no idea what this was - and were curious that BMW has it - 3 different porsche's rep's had never heard of such a thing - :eek::facepalm:
  • no car play in the HUD support
  • the Macan Key in person is not as different physically as it looks on the configurator - but preproduction so we'll see
  • wireless phone charging compartment is nifty - well placed and slopped so you "drop" your phone in sideways
    • it's air-conditioned - so your phone will remain cool while charging
    • I have this on my 2024 Cayenne loaner - it's nify
    • Porsche rep said in Italy it worked great and his phone actually came out charge and cold to the touch - I believe him 100% - it's a nice upgrade
    • 15W of wireless charing power - which is pretty cutting edge wireless standards support - good job here Porsche.
  • the Main dash is the Cayenne 2024 dash - which is Taycan 1.1 dash - physical size is slightly shorter (left to right) and slightly taller (top-bottom) vs. Taycan - but anyone with a 2024 Cayenne or any Taycan will recognize the technology - it's great I likes my Taycan's dash - so far the Macan looks to be a nice and expected minor differences version.
  • there is some under floor cargo space on the Macan rear trunk area - but it's 85% occupied by the Bose subwoofer
  • back cargo area has all the normal Porsche touches and design, cubbies, tie downs
  • there is a 110V AC outlet option for $160 - I can't see why anyone would not check this box…
  • EV sound has been updated, not the same as Taycan - not sure if it's better or worse - not sure if you need it - honeslty wasn't paying attention to it during demo ride
  • Macan sits higher than taycan - no surprise - easier to get in/out vs. Taycan because of higher entry - again no surprise
  • on the ride along - driving dynamics I'm going to spot Porsche didn't screw this up - it's very capable on track for an SUV - and can most likely hang with most sports cars because:
    • a: it's a porsche
    • b: it's an EV with instant torque
    • c: it has a super low CG
    • it's not going to replace my 911 GT3 as my track car - but it's way way more capable than any SUV needs to be
  • there was no off-road demo
  • 4,400 lbs tow rating - same as gas macan
  • nifty tow rear view video
  • didn't spend enough time in reverse to determine if backup camera is better than taycan - we'll have to revisit or wait to see
  • DEMO ALERT DEMO ALERT - new camera angle!!!!!!! there are two cameras on each side of the car aim'd down and backward - you can see your tire position vs. the curb!!! they have curb-rash camera's for your parking pleasure - I'm super excited!!!
  • standard cup holder for Porsche - i.e. not a lot but sufficient
  • frunk as access to the 12V battery posts - but the positive is on the "passenger side" under a plastic flap, and the negative post is on the driver's sign under flap - I don't think normal jumper cables have enough "split" distance to be clamped to both at once, you'll need to peel the cables apart to reach both posts - more investigation is require, but honestly hopefully un-necessary
  • two charging ports on the rear of the vehicle - I couldn't get them to open
    • DCFast charging is on the DRIVER's side of the vehicle - this is different than Taycan where it's on the passenger side of the vehicle
  • no word from Porsche at this time as to a Model year when NACS will be standard - no comment - see existing press release
  • no word from Porsche at this time as to dates for supercharger access - no comment - see existing press release
  • no word from Porsche at this time as to when a CCS1/NACS adapter will be available for Porsche CCS1 vehicles - no comment - see existing press release
  • no word from Porsche at this time as to _IF_ an adapter is functional/possible for CCS1 vehicle's from them - no comment - see existing press release
  • ask them about the current PMC+/PMCC recall and watch them change the subject ASAP - :CWL:
  • the passenger screen has the same off-angle viewing restrictions as the new Cayenne - so this is pretty cool
  • new PCM looks identical to old PCM visually - but it's now running on android OS - I have pics of version/info screens
  • carplay and android auto -yes - wirelessly
  • turning radius in RWS vehicle was as expected super impressive
  • fast handling circuit car was super good, fast, composed - seemed easy to drive at speed - proper quick and in the right hands easily faster than most track enthusiasts in true sports cars.
  • no braking demo - strict instructions to not "push" the cars for tire/brake wear mitgation
    • also don't break the demo cars - apparently Porsche germany will hunt you down and your family if you break one of these demo vehicles
  • composed and excellent on the "autocross" course - no problems - my god it's an SUV - but it's good…
that's it for now - I'm sure I missed some things and I'll update as they trickle in from my consciousness

overall I'm impressed, excited, and hopeful - it seems to be a world class solid effort from Porsche and I'm sure they've learned a thing or two from Taycan. It should be a great EV if you want a Macan style vehicle. It's not Taycan, but that's the point.

It's a Macan EV - and if they weren't selling the gas version in North America along side - I'd humbly suggest they could just call it a Macan and be done with it - because that's what it is. It's a Macan that happens to be an EV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
add to my badge collection…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3351.JPG

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
6' 1" - driver's seat all the way back - still fits - but it's tight

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3381.JPG

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
drop the rear bumper for easier loading - this alone makes the airsupension a must have in my opinion…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3403

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
software version for the geek crowd…enjoy!!!

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3384
Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3386

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
air conditioned 15W wireless charging "dock" - who says Porsche doesn't do air cooled anymore?

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3388

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
driver's door panel…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3390

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the "correct" steering wheel - size and function…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3392

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
driver's seat in it's lowest position -I have a hard time seeing that any size person will have a head room problem in this car…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3393

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ruby copper metallic…

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3400

Macan EV PECLA Macan EV review & impressions … (Gentian Blue, Ruby Copper Metallic photos) IMG_3401