• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

20 vs 21 inch

rmwrip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X 5. Macan ev turbo ordered
Country flag
I have a turbo ordered with 20 inch rims. It is a free upgrade to get the same style turbo wheels in 21 inch. I picked 20 inch since my wife has MS with chronic pain so I need the ride to be as smooth as possible. I have read opinions stating that the 21s with the air suspension ride pretty similar to the 20s.. I like the looks of the 21s better. Any thoughts?

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
it looks like the 21's still leave you a decent amount of rubber. that paired with the air suspension on softer setting.... i think you'll be fine.
it's really the suspension that makes the biggest difference IMO.

PaoloPix

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4 Avant
Country flag
I tried the air suspension with 21 and 22 rims and finally ordered the 20 rims model 20s. I am a tourist not a racer and I prefer comfort

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
AI Overview
Learn more…

Smaller wheels are generally better for a comfortable ride, while air suspension systems can also improve ride quality:

Smaller wheels
Smaller wheels with taller sidewalls can absorb more shock and vibration from uneven roads, resulting in a smoother ride. However, they might not be as responsive or precise as larger wheels.

Air suspension
Air suspension systems can improve ride quality and control the height of your car. Auxiliary springs in air suspension systems can help support the suspension and reduce the impact of bumps in the road. Air suspension systems can also help protect your vehicle from damage and reduce strain on shock absorbers.

The balance between wheel size and suspension tuning is important for achieving optimal comfort. Larger wheels can look better and perform better, but they can also make for a bumpier ride.

Salmonfisher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2 plus/pilot
Country flag
I have a similar problem. I have ordered 20” but love the look of 21” off-road wheels for my 4. I have ordered air suspension even though £2,500 upgrade in UK. So I expect the ride would be fine but I can’t get myself to pay over another £2,000 for 21” wheels with less comfort and 27 miles less range (according to UK configurator) even though I agree they look much better

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
I can make a comparison with my previous cars: Tesla with 19“ rims was very stiff (one of the reasons why the next car should have had air suspension), Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio with 20” rims very stiff (but its sporty vocation was in charge), Range Rover Evoque HSE, 20” rims but too soft on curves.
Now with 21” wheels on Macan and air suspension in Normal mode it is very comfortable, in Sport it stiffens up and in Sport + you feel every pebble on the road.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
The taller sidewalls absorb shocks and impacts better, which protects your wheels and suspension. They also make the ride quieter by acting as additional noise dampeners.