• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Apple CarKey support?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
no announced support - VW/Audi/Porsche seem to not be engaged on this topic for any of their vehicle lines.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Unfortunately not, but if they support next gen CarPlay I will be really happy … Apple Digital key support requires Ultra Wideband support to be really useful

OP
OP

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I noticed in one of the German videos there is a "Porsche Digital Key" option in PCM. I wonder Is that just Bluetooth based or proper UWB Apple CarKey?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
I noticed in one of the German videos there is a "Porsche Digital Key" option in PCM. I wonder Is that just Bluetooth based or proper UWB Apple CarKey?
I believe this would the Phone As A Key (PAAK) feature than several brands offer, not tied to Apple’s solution.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
I believe this would the Phone As A Key (PAAK) feature than several brands offer, not tied to Apple’s solution.
If that means now that Apple has opened Up NFC that the Porsche App can use an iPhone as a key, that would be awesome.

julian

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
There are three different technologies that are sometimes used for phone as key. The vehicle itself would have to have hardware built in.

Bluetooth. This tech was never intended to be used for ranging in the way that many now use it, but it seems most common in the vehicles I’ve had. This would be some kind of manufacturer’s app, but not in the wallet via CarKey.

NFC. Requires touching your phone (or a simple card) to a specific spot on the vehicle.

UWB (Ultra Wide Band). Tech intended specifically for ranging, with some built-in properties that can make spoofing more difficult.

Older CarKey, and the public CCC 2 spec, use NFC. The newer CarKey and CCC 3.0 use both NFC and UWB. (Technically, Bluetooth is used to communicate with the vehicle but afaik is not used for ranging or unlock.)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
don't hold your breath for any of this with VW/Audi/Porsche

OP
OP

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
CarKey on our BMW iX M60 works really nicely, both on the iPhone and Apple Watch. I'm not expecting as much on my new Macan Turbo though.