• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Preparation Porsche Dashcam (Option QK3)

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nil - Macan 4 EV (Sept '24 Production)
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone knows for the wiring preparation (QK3), is this for BOTH front and rear cameras?

I'm sure most of us have spec'd this option but the generic write-up in the configurator doesn't seem to state. Wondering if any current Macan owners with this option (closest equivalent, i guess) would be able to advise?

Also, i'm assuming this wiring is factory fitted (hoping!) and not dealer - searching on other forums, seem to be getting some conflicting reports.

Macan EV Preparation Porsche Dashcam (Option QK3) Dashcam

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Have not spec’d it, advised against it by the SA: it’s a proprietary port and the OEM dashcam isn’t great.

On the Taycan forum, people have shared instructions on how to adapt the connector but unsure I want to go down that route myself. May just run the wire to the fuse box (as done by others on the Taycan forum too).

Re: front only vs front+back, I don’t believe anyone knows yet what it’ll include.

OP
OP
Great_Cookie

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have not spec’d it, advised against it by the SA: it’s a proprietary port and the OEM dashcam isn’t great.

On the Taycan forum, people have shared instructions on how to adapt the connector but unsure I want to go down that route myself. May just run the wire to the fuse box (as done by others on the Taycan forum too).

Re: front only vs front+back, I don’t believe anyone knows yet what it’ll include.
My SA took the other path, recommended that it be fitted (just in case)... In my other vehicles, i'm using iRoad (a Korean brand) with additional battery but took the chance this round not to screw with running/tapping wires in the hopes of sticking as-close-to manufacturer spec as possible.

Been reading up in another forum (992) thread about the pre-wiring and lots of good info there. Apparently people have been able to use the pre-wired connector socket to run other devices (radar detectors, 3rd party cameras etc) - so might also be a worth a look as it does apparently also run the wiring to a separate fuse as well.

Just hoping that the option does indeed come with wiring for a rear-camera. Would be a HUGE miss if it weren't there (especially in this day & age).

bbmertz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla Y, Ford F-150
Country flag
Cookie, thanks for raising this issue. I plan to order the dashcam prep to be safe.

Not sure if it will be compatible with the two dashcams I’m considering — Blackvue DR970X-2CH and Thinkware U3000.

OP
OP
Great_Cookie

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is front and back
That’s good to know/reassuring GH - Could ask source your source of info (SA, Porsche Tech, Current Macan/Taycan Owner (as closest equivalent), etc)?

I plan on checking with my SA later today when I drop by the dealer so will hopefully have another datapoint.

OP
OP
Great_Cookie

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cookie, thanks for raising this issue. I plan to order the dashcam prep to be safe.

Not sure if it will be compatible with the two dashcams I’m considering — Blackvue DR970X-2CH and Thinkware U3000.
Lots of good info posted in the 992 forums (see my post #3 above) about the connector and even pin diagram. Just note that for people to use it for 3rd party hardware, you can buy a socket adapter to tap the wires more cleanly as the connector by default is proprietary.

I’m still thinking of whether to just bite the bullet and buy the Porsche Cam but have heard that its specs aren’t fantastic.

Honestly, my ideal situation would have been for Porsche to go down the route of BMW and Tesla to use the already substantive hardware/cameras in the car (especially for those/most with 360 cameras) to record vision using that… But that’s just my 2c ;)

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
BMW is just Drive Recorder, so while it's always monitoring, it's not aways recording - it only stores 20 secs before and 20 seconds after an incident.

Never had to use it myself, so can't speak to how good it actually is.

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag
That’s good to know/reassuring GH - Could ask source your source of info (SA, Porsche Tech, Current Macan/Taycan Owner (as closest equivalent), etc)?

I plan on checking with my SA later today when I drop by the dealer so will hopefully have another datapoint.
Sorry for the late reply. I am a Taycan owner with the Porsche dashcam prewire option and the Porsche dashcam installed.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag

What did your SA say re: front/back for the Macan?

OP
OP
Great_Cookie

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for reminding me to circle back. My SA told me that the pre-wiring is for BOTH the front and rear cameras. So there is some hope after all.

Hopefully with some of the first orders being delivered this month, we’ll be able to get some concrete confirmation (either way).

What did your SA say re: front/back for the Macan?