• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Specs & options impact to Macan EV autonomy / range

Fly4ever

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Kuga 2.5T (Stage 1 tuned @240PS)
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I've been following the forum for couple of months now since I came to a final conclusion and decided what my next car would be.During this period, my knowledge about the Macan EV as well as for so many other things related to EVs in general has greatly enhanced thanks to this undoubtedly great community!

Since the car is so new, I decided to spend a little more time waiting for any issues - both major and minor ones - to arise and hopefully solved one way or another soon enough before I finally go ahead and place my order but guys,admittedly this is getting harder every day reading all your posts in here on how much enthusiastic,thrilled and overwhelmed you are taking delivery of your new cars and making it part of your life!!!I'm pretty certain,anyone out there still waiting delivery, know exactly what I mean and will get the same feeling...!!

As a result I spent countless hours experimenting with the Configurator - which I'm also sure many of you already did or still do ;) - trying to decide which options to exclude from my 4S.Finalizing the configuration with my quite heavily spec'd 4S and at the same time reading in here that the Autonomy/range of the car is affected (considerably in some cases) by many of the options available,I decided to make this list where anyone interested can see how much the range of the car is affected in relation to each one option.I must admit there aren't few the ones truly surprised me...!!The listing is from the heaviest impact to almost neglectable ones:

1: 21' vs 20' wheels: -38Km (20' Macan wheels - not "Macan S" versus 21' Macan Design wheels). 20' Macan wheels are 5Km more efficient than 20' Macan S ones.

2: Sunroof: -5Km. Because it seems rather strange to have such a heavy impact on the range, I tend to assume the range reduction most likely occurs when the sunroof is open as there's a quite large "flap" on its front edge probably to deflect the air from getting inside the car as much as possible.

3: Off road spoiler + roof rails: -3Km. In the case of 4S this is considered as standard.

4: Porsche Torque Vectoring: -3Km.

5: Air Suspension: +2Km .This is the only option I found adding plus 2Km to the car range!

6: Rear wheel steering: -2Km.

7: Rear Wiper: -1Km.

...and here comes the crazy stuff...🤔😲

8: Extended Leather Package: -1Km.

9: 14/18 way seats:
-1Km.

10: Led Matrix Lights: -1Km.

11: Innodrive: -1Km.

12: HUD: -1Km.

By that means a 4S spec'd with all the above goodies (like mine) will have according to configurator 557Km WLTP combined range while another 4S equipped with the 20' Macan wheels and nothing more than the standards for this model will have 614Km WLTP! 57Km more!! This is also the reason why the 4S appears to be identical to Turbo in terms of WLTP range numbers rather not somewhere in the middle between the 4 and the Turbo.Larger wheels+Off road spoiler & roof rails+seats=42Km cost on WLTP range only from that and surely a little (?) more due to greater power and its increased overall weight.

As a conclusion,it seems that (almost) everything plays significant role to the car's Autonomy, making each car literally unique not only in terms of appearance but also in its characteristics as well,exactly like every each one of us!And this is absolutely great for Porsche,I think maybe is the only brand out there making something like this possible!

oxum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo
Country flag
How's the fast charging network in Greece looking like these days? I visited back in 2021 and was renting a petrol car at the time because when I looked at the charging network outside of Athens it was scarily empty. Particularly when visiting the north west. Great mountain roads though. This was while ignoring 11kw/22kw chargers as no one can realistically roadtrip an EV with those.

Reason I ask is because I can totally get min/maxing options like these when the country infrastructure is spotty.

I found on the other hand that in the rest of Europe I can always find a DC fast charge wherever I am in a 275 km radius max. Poland providing the worst coverage, and where this figure comes from.

If the country you live in has a decent coverage of DC fast charge, I would always ignore the impact of range lowering options if the car consistently produces more than 400km of range.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
Macan has been studied in detail with regard to aerodynamics: evidence of this is the data on the impact of variable trim given by PASMs. The reduction in range is given either by an increase in weight (e.g., sunroof) or electrical consumption (LED Matrix).
All that said: there are variables in my opinion much more impactful that characterize each of us: in addition to driving style of course, elevation, traffic, road conditions and especially temperature can affect much more than any of the components you have indicated. Obviously the above is to be understood IMHO and based on my 3 years and 100K km of electric cars.

nulled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
I think it's impossible to have an exact consumption estimate because there could be infinite amount of combinations with Porsche... I think they estimate based on weight. I saw the offroad wheels take a big hit on range because they aren't aerodynamic at all.

OP
OP

Fly4ever

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How's the fast charging network in Greece looking like these days? I visited back in 2021 and was renting a petrol car at the time because when I looked at the charging network outside of Athens it was scarily empty. Particularly when visiting the north west. Great mountain roads though. This was while ignoring 11kw/22kw chargers as no one can realistically roadtrip an EV with those.

Reason I ask is because I can totally get min/maxing options like these when the country infrastructure is spotty.

I found on the other hand that in the rest of Europe I can always find a DC fast charge wherever I am in a 275 km radius max. Poland providing the worst coverage, and where this figure comes from.

If the country you live in has a decent coverage of DC fast charge, I would always ignore the impact of range lowering options if the car consistently produces more than 400km of range.
Thankfully things are considerably better than 2021 here...!Otherwise I wouldn't be so positive getting an EV.Even though Ionity isn't present in Greece (yet,hopefully) there are plenty of DC chargers,many of them fast,over 150Kw and the 300Kw ones already starting to pop like mushrooms everywhere.In Athens already many gas stations have installed EV chargers and literally there are plenty of them available around the corner on every neighborhood with some of them even free of charge.There are also at major shopping malls and all Supermarkets,Leroy-Merlin,Lidl and the rest being free of charge.As for the country side it's almost certain you will certainly find a decently fast charger unless someone decide to get lost in an off-road trip up to the mountains!But most important is the EV vehicles are quite few (still as their numbers are steadily increasing) so most likely the charging network is still not congested.

Only reason I consider range so much is because I use to travel to Central Europe by car following the route from North Macedonia to Serbia,Hungary,Austria,Germany,France and back through Bosnia,Croatia and the rest, all the way down here.And this during winter time is getting even more difficult for EVs.I'm leaving in a month for a last time with my ICE car and during my trip planning I also looked out for the charging network along my route.There's an issue finding decent chargers all the way to Beograd mostly having to exit the main road and enter a city to charge, while at the same time many chargers appear not to working at all according to user reports.I hope until next year when I'll have my Macan there will be better charging conditions also at this part of the route.Beyond Beograd and approaching Budapest things are getting much better but it's a good 600-700Km distance to get there.

Here is a interactive map showing all available chargers in Greece as well as other countries:
https://www.autonomous.gr/stathmoi-fortisis-ilektrikon-ochimaton-stin-ellada/

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
i think the real crime is that we in the states can't even see these changes in stats....
but all the same, good info to know about.

OP
OP

Fly4ever

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i think the real crime is that we in the states can't even see these changes in stats....
but all the same, good info to know about.
One of the reasons I decided it would be a good idea to post such a list was because of this. Even though it's in Km rather than miles it will be quite handy and useful for those who might need the information and yet have no data to help them decide. As Diego said there're obviously many other reasons affecting the range and mileage however it's good to know what Porsche has to say about it for a given car specifically.