• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
Sponsored

Dealer "options" (ceramic coating, UV window film, wheel warranty)

Argelius

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 EV
Country flag
I'll be picking up my Macan 4 EV in a couple of days. My salesguy asked if I want some of these protection options for the car:

Ceramic coating for paint
UV window film (supposedly keeps the car cooler)
Wheel warranty (for scratched, dented rims, etc)

My internal dialogue: [1] Just a dealer profit-thing, [2] I don't keep a car past 3 years, [3] Same services performed outside of a Porsche dealership are probably MUCH cheaper, and [4]well, it would be convenient having, maybe, the ceramic coating, done now when the car is pristine and it's at the place of service.

Thnoughts?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dealer warranties suck and the quality of their tints/ceramic/ppf generally also suck.

I like ceramic, but get it done at a reputable shop.

ericf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
I did the wheel warranty because we live in the city and the curbs are square and granite. My current three year old car has two curbed wheels on the passenger side. I figured I would do this with it being a lease and help cover the cost of repair for the lease return assuming they’ll eventually get curbed on the Macan.

I did talk them down on the price though, they wanted over $3K, I said $1,500, we settled at $2,000. Probably not worth it, but at least I had the feeling of getting a “deal”.

I skipped their ceramic coating and taking it to a detail shop who specializes in Porsches (they are down the road from the dealership and the owners have several Porsches from my dealer) for a wheels-off ceramic coating and paint correction. 🤞 on this keeping the barrels of the wheels looking nice and easy to clean.

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
i'm acutally surprised it's an option... there's dealers just adding on hundreds if not thousands of dollars for stuff like that to the price of the car, before you buy them...