• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Do I have to order through a dealer??

cyndiw

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Lightning
Test drove a 4 yesterday and loved it! Seems like the perfect replacement for my nearly 10yo Macan Turbo. Spent last night building my new “Turbo” Electric, and getting ready to place an order.

My question: do I need to order from a dealership if I’m planning the LA delivery center experience?

Background/context: I hate car dealers. I am a technical woman in the tech industry and I am so over being talked down to every time I set foot in a Porsche dealership/service center. It took me three tries to find a car to test drive yesterday. Two dealerships didn’t respect my time enough to keep the appointments that I had made. The third honored my appointment, but sent me off with a whackadoodle sales rep who didn’t listen to me at all (had to tell him three times that i currently drive a Turbo and that performance is important to me, so no, I do not want to buy the 4 that I’m test driving), and who went off on a bizarre tangent about Beyoncé being part of the Illuminati and murdering someone (????) when one of her songs came on the radio. Needless to say, I’m not excited about buying a car from this schmuck.

If not possible to place an order directly with Porsche for LA delivery, is there some way to RFP dealers to find one who I can actually tolerate working with? The price is what it is, but it is important to me to buy from someone I respect if I have to go through a dealer at all. Also, timing is not critical here. I love my old Macan, but need to upgrade at some point. Recommendations appreciated!

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Targa 4 GTS; Panamera 4S; Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
Yes, you do have to order through a dealer, even for PEC LA Delivery. If you'd like the contact to a dealer who will treat you with respect and has no problem facilitating PEC LA Delivery, please let me know. I'd be happy to share my sales associate's contact - he's great! @cyndiw

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
As you currently drive a Macan Turbo, I presume you already know that you can only buy a Porsche from a dealer 🤔

OP
OP

cyndiw

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As you currently drive a Macan Turbo, I presume you already know that you can only buy a Porsche from a dealer 🤔
Yes. However given that I purchased my Macan 10 years ago and the relatively recent innovations in various manufacturers’ auto purchasing business models, I was hoping there may be a way around this. Going through a dealer seems very 2010.

Dragon Tourniquet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX
Country flag
Going through a dealer seems very 2010.
You can blame National Automobile Dealers Association for that. Manufacturers aren't allowed to compete with dealers because of franchise rules they got put into place. Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian are able to avoid that in some states because they never had franchises, but there have been court battles everywhere as dealers try to block them.

OP
OP

cyndiw

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can blame National Automobile Dealers Association for that. Manufacturers aren't allowed to compete with dealers because of franchise rules they got put into place. Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian are able to avoid that in some states because they never had franchises, but there have been court battles everywhere as dealers try to block them.
Ahhh I did not realize this was the issue. It always comes down to protecting the amount of money in someone’s pocket, doesn’t it? Even at the expense of the consumer.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
not true. Rivian also. And Lucid.
I wasn't meaning to be lying here, or not telling the truth deliberately.
I mentioned Tesla, as its generally known to sell direct.
My point was no legacy carmaker does that.
In any case, you seem to know which ones sell direct!!

krissrock

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
Ahhh I did not realize this was the issue. It always comes down to protecting the amount of money in someone’s pocket, doesn’t it? Even at the expense of the consumer.
crony capitalism at its best

OP
OP

cyndiw

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You also need to find a dealership that has an open turbo allocation.
Yep. And that’s going to be another challenge, I’m sure. Fortunately I don’t care about timing and would be willing to wait a year+ to get a slot. I just want to work with a respectful professional who won’t jerk me around. Sadly that seems like a big ask!

Honestly this all makes me want to just order a Rivian R1S and be done with it. Had an outstanding test drive experience with Rivian, just did not love the way it looks compared to the Macan.

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan EV to be delivered…
Country flag
If your main criteria is no dealership, go for Lucid, Rivian or Tesla. They are good cars.
In the end, you will visit a dealership for the maintenance, even thought it’s very light for EVs