• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.
OP
OP
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 718 Boxster
Country flag
Thank you for the detailed review, very helpful. Just wondering if you are sure that you were testing the new PCM. The new one has the colorful gradients as a default theme. I've been hunting the web for examples with the black theme or if it's possible to downgrade the PCM to a version that doesn't have the colorful backgrounds.
Great question. The SA did say they still had some “recall updates” to do, so you may be on to something. Because I haven’t seen any mention of HU support for CarPlay elsewhere, I figured it must be the latest. I’ll be back there this Friday to do a test drive with my girlfriend, so I can check it out. I would imagine they’ll have all the updates done by then.

Senna

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, A4
Country flag
Hmmm… I don’t remember holding when I made my adjustments, but I’ll pay closer attention next time. Glad to hear fine tuning is possible, though adaptive lessens the need.
The behavior is similar to recent Audis, which makes sense considering the collaboration between both manufacturers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T (EV upgrade a tempter!)
Country flag
Hmmm… I don’t remember holding when I made my adjustments, but I’ll pay closer attention next time. Glad to hear fine tuning is possible, though adaptive lessens the need.
I hate ACC and therefore don't have it. Standard cruise and speed limiter are just fine for my purposes so these adjustments for standard cruise (same on my GTS and Macan T).

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
I hate ACC and therefore don't have it. Standard cruise and speed limiter are just fine for my purposes so these adjustments for standard cruise (same on my GTS and Macan T).
Most love ACC.
It wasn't included when I bought i4 eDrive 40. But it was available as a software add-on option.
So, after a few months I got it, paid around ÂŁ750 (I think). Prefer it much better.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T (EV upgrade a tempter!)
Country flag
Most love ACC.
It wasn't included when I bought i4 eDrive 40. But it was available as a software add-on option.
So, after a few months I got it, paid around ÂŁ750 (I think). Prefer it much better.
Not a software option for Porsche - you must have the hardware which only comes with ACC (front radar dome) to which you can then pay a further ÂŁ1K for the questionable InnoDrive (100% software). Naming of ACC with / without InnoDrive has changed in recent months and not immediately obvious that if you tick InnoDrive that will then (necessarily) include ACC (around ÂŁ550 on its own). Historically when FOD was a thing (Taycan) it could be 'try before you buy' on the pre-requisite that you had ACC previously factory installed.

Each to their own (and I have tried it several times and so far have decided 'not for me'). RAS, 360 pano cameras or better lights is where I choose to put the ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁs on the basis that 2 x speed controls as standard are enough for most. If ACC was the sole standard option then I'd live with that and disable the distance control.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4 (orderd), Subaru Solterra, Crosstrek,
Country flag
To be clear, you DO get AR overlay when using CarPlay/Apple Maps. Lane keeping cues and cruise control distance cues (all AR) are fully operational. It’s just those floating arrows that are missing.

Thanks for the correction on cruise control speed increments. This is something you’ve verified in person?
Great to get some AR regardless. Thanks for that detail

Route planner uses the Porsche navigation and does battery pre-conditioning also. I will use CarPlay as much as possible, but maybe not in the HUD and maybe not for navigation. I wonder how CarPlay for music, etc and Porsche Nav coexist.

I would think if you have the often maligned passenger display (as I do) you can use both (if you have a passenger)

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
Great to get some AR regardless. Thanks for that detail

Route planner uses the Porsche navigation and does battery pre-conditioning also. I will use CarPlay as much as possible, but maybe not in the HUD and maybe not for navigation. I wonder how CarPlay for music, etc and Porsche Nav coexist.

I would think if you have the often maligned passenger display (as I do) you can use both (if you have a passenger)
Why would CarPlay and Porsche Nav co-existing be a problem - I’ve seen and done this on different cars and no issues. All you can’t do of course is have CarPlay media showing on the same screen as the native nav.

julian

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Why would CarPlay and Porsche Nav co-existing be a problem - I’ve seen and done this on different cars and no issues. All you can’t do of course is have CarPlay media showing on the same screen as the native nav.
On Polestar 2, once they added the second screen driver-display mode for CarPlay, they disabled the ability to use the car’s built-in AAOS Google Maps for navigation at the same time as navigation in CarPlay. Once you start one, the other cancels. Before the CarPlay driver display was implemented, you could run both at the same time. (And have, eg, Google Maps Nav in driver display and CarPlay nav in middle display.)

It was always unclear if this was an Apple / CarPlay certification requirement or a choice Polestar (or Google?) made.

driege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4S (on order)
Country flag
Thank you for the detailed review, very helpful. Just wondering if you are sure that you were testing the new PCM. The new one has the colorful gradients as a default theme. I've been hunting the web for examples with the black theme or if it's possible to downgrade the PCM to a version that doesn't have the colorful backgrounds.
Today I got pictures of 2 neutral colored themes, one black and one more of a gray. Based on this, I don't think you need to worry about downgrading the software.
Macan EV First test drive discoveries: CarPlay support in HUD Heads-up Display (and more) Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.22.59 PM
Macan EV First test drive discoveries: CarPlay support in HUD Heads-up Display (and more) Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.22.40 PM