• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag

Interesting review here about Macan RWD.

I think not many have chosen this RWD Macan version here. Everyone has their own preferences, but I was interested in this from the beginning but went for Macan 4 as RWD version wasn't available then. As soon as two new versions were announced, I cancelled the 4 and went for RWD, mainly for the reasons mentioned in the video.

A 4-wheel drive not really necessary where I mostly drive as not much snow here. Although winter tyres are generally better than 4-wheel drive (4WD) for driving in snow and ice, however I know both can be useful depending on the situation.

I like the rear-wheel drive of the i4 eDrive 40 that I have now. Most reviews of this were better than the M50 version, a four-wheel drive. Macan RWD has the same maximum power as i4 and 0-60 also is the same in 5.4 seconds. Which I find fast enough in our speed limited roads, at least for my needs, as I don't need break-neck jerk of a turbo (personal preference) šŸ˜œ
The torque is actually 100lb-ft more than in the i4 which would be nice when needed, and I never found torque and acceleration lacking in the i4. Most of the time where I drive, legal speed limits barely go up from 20-30mph, and max 70mph on motorways.

I think rear-wheel drive cars are more fun in general. The best sports cars are rear-wheel drive. Also, the base Macan will have the best turn as there is no electric motor assembly upfront, the front axle will weigh less and reduce some inherent friction from the steering. As Kris felt in the video, the steering was better @3:19 to 4:54

bbmertz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla Y, Ford F-150
Country flag
Beyond the additional horsepower and all wheel drive, the 4 also adds active suspension management. (Correction: The base model does have air suspension in the U.S.) For these reasons, the Atlanta PEC strongly recommended upgrading to the 4.

Nevertheless, if youā€™re trying to save money and maximize range, I think the base Macan EV is still a great option.

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
People always claim these base EVs drive better but, to be honest, I think it's a placebo effect. The higher trims are all extremely rear wheel biased 90%+ of the time.

This isn't a small, light sportscar. It's a very big, heavy vehicle and you're going to get more prowess with the additional systems than you will with minor weight loss.

The base cars are great if you live somewhere sunny and want to maximize range & minimize costs. Great option for that. But they are not, in any other way, better than higher trims.

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag

I think rear-wheel drive cars are more fun in general. The best sports cars are rear-wheel drive.
mm i would argue the more performant cars are AWD though...

i'm sure the RWD will be more fun though.

macanchan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E30/36/46 M3, 97 993TT, 08 S2K CR, 08 430 Scuderia
Country flag
Get a base Macan and save the extra $$ for a fun car. the macan is not a sports car. please dont plow a 6000lb suv into something/someone trying to have fun.

OP
OP

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
I also got the base model as it will have the best range and added air suspensions as well.
Another interesting video from AutoTrader Canada
Keywords: feels, agile nimble and lighter (by the way, its 2295kg = 5059 pounds)

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Get a base Macan and save the extra $$ for a fun car. the macan is not a sports car. please dont plow a 6000lb suv into something/someone trying to have fun.
Honestly donā€™t think 500lbs will make a difference if itā€™s going over someone/something.

The point should be ā€œdonā€™t drive recklessly, regardless of whether itā€™s a 5-6k lbs EV or a sports carā€.

A base Macan, to me, would be boring. Does not mean I wouldnā€™t ALSO take a 718 GTS 4.0 to have ā€œmore funā€. ;)