• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

iCEing and Dashcams

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Good to hear! The other issue that I found while going through the Taycan forums was that it maybe interferes with using Wireless Apple Carplay but I don't know for a fact.
Issue is that the phone is either connected to the Dashcam or to CarPlay, can’t do both at the same time.

bbmertz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla Y, Ford F-150
Country flag
Issue is that the phone is either connected to the Dashcam or to CarPlay, can’t do both at the same time.
Is this a non-issue if I don’t plan to view dashcam video on my phone while driving with CarPlay navigation?

While driving, I want to be able to use CarPlay for navigation while recording video on my dashcam. When parked, I want to be able to record video on my dashcam if an impact is sensed and watch live feeds anytime via my iPhone.

I’m leaning toward getting the Blackvue dashcam since it appears to have the best cloud features for remote viewing, although I’m interested in learning more about the newer Vueroid D21 4K (for its parking mode features) which is just entering the US market.

I ordered the dashcam prep option on my 4S and hope that even if it has proprietary Porsche connectors, it can be rigged to handle front and rear third-party dashcams.

Last edited:

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is this a non-issue if I don’t plan to view dashcam video on my phone while driving with CarPlay navigation?

While driving, I want to be able to use CarPlay for navigation while recording video on my dashcam. When parked, I want to be able to record video on my dashcam if an impact is sensed and watch live feeds anytime via my iPhone.

I’m leaning toward getting the Blackvue dashcam since it appears to have the best cloud features for remote viewing. I ordered the dashcam prep option on my 4S and hope that even if it has proprietary Porsche connectors, it can be rigged to handle front and rear third-party dashcams.
It isn’t a big issue if you don’t want to do both at once. And if in the car you want to check what happened on the DC, you’ll need to disconnect CP (which likes to keep reconnecting itself) to view the DC.

Between this, the higher cost of the Porsche DC and its relative large size, there are better options out there.

I almost got the prep option myself but then figured I’d save a few $$ and run cables if I ever want to go down that route.

OP
OP

Duke95

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, Macan 4 on order
Country flag
The Porsche dashcam gets very bad reviews. I’m open to suggestions regarding which one to purchase based on clarity of picture, ability to record when parked without a battery pack, and ability to view picture in real-time via mobile phone via cellular network. (Feel free to start a separate thread or refer us to an existing one.)

Here are the aftermarket dashcams I’m currently considering:
  1. Blackvue DR970X-2CH Plus
  2. Thinkware U3000
  3. Vueroid D21 4K
  4. Vantrue N5
Question is whether 4 channel is a lot better than 2 to get more side coverage.. thoughts?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question is whether 4 channel is a lot better than 2 to get more side coverage.. thoughts?
The more channels, the more storage and power will be needed, plus more cameras to “hide” in plain sight… I’m already debating going with 2 channels, more feels like a lot.

If the dashcams are to be used only when driving, I wouldn’t worry much about their power consumption.
If they are to be used when the car is parked too, a battery pack is mandatory unless you want to deplete your car battery.

platypus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan EV Turbo ordered
Country flag
First time I'm installing a dash cam, for peace of mind, although I have not needed it in the past. I'm not too worried about keying, like @tmrqs said, I live in NYC and haven't seen that happen. I also removed the electric badge so it's relatively hard to know it's an EV.

I first looked at the Porsche dash cam, but everyone seems to agree it's not great. And my SA also told me the connection was proprietary, so it wasn't worth getting the prep option (I didn't).

I hesitated between the Blackvue and the Thinkware U3000, and eventually went with the Thinkware mainly because of the low-energy parking mode that can record collisions (after the fact) for two weeks (to be tested), since my primary concern is to have the car scratched in my underground parking.

I bought the Thinkware iVolt external battery too, so the dash cam can record when the car is off without depleting the 12V battery (there is a built-in shutoff mechanism to avoid battery drainage, but people have had issues it seems).

I was wondering about a potential impact on range, but the iVolt battery is 95Wh (7500mAh) which is 0.1% of the car's main battery, and dashcams seem to consume ~5W when continuously recording, which is also negligible.

Anyway, the dash cam is currently being installed, I can update the thread when I know more.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
Ah got it. Phone only needs to connect to dashcam if needed to access it so I guess it’s just more an annoyance than anything. Thanks!
First time I'm installing a dash cam, for peace of mind, although I have not needed it in the past. I'm not too worried about keying, like @tmrqs said, I live in NYC and haven't seen that happen. I also removed the electric badge so it's relatively hard to know it's an EV.

I first looked at the Porsche dash cam, but everyone seems to agree it's not great. And my SA also told me the connection was proprietary, so it wasn't worth getting the prep option (I didn't).

I hesitated between the Blackvue and the Thinkware U3000, and eventually went with the Thinkware mainly because of the low-energy parking mode that can record collisions (after the fact) for two weeks (to be tested), since my primary concern is to have the car scratched in my underground parking.

I bought the Thinkware iVolt external battery too, so the dash cam can record when the car is off without depleting the 12V battery (there is a built-in shutoff mechanism to avoid battery drainage, but people have had issues it seems).

I was wondering about a potential impact on range, but the iVolt battery is 95Wh (7500mAh) which is 0.1% of the car's main battery, and dashcams seem to consume ~5W when continuously recording, which is also negligible.

Anyway, the dash cam is currently being installed, I can update the thread when I know more.
Please do!