• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

iCEing and Dashcams

Duke95

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, Macan 4 on order
Country flag
So in the US, plenty of stories of EVs getting keyed, ICE owners purposively parking in charging spots. Even in downtown Chicago in my building we have 10 charging spots in the garage (out of hundreds of spots always plenty of room) and a gas car is parked in one of them probably at least once a week. My concern is more about the keying. Who here really worries about their new baby Macan getting damaged by some yokel who doesn't like EVS? I clearly understand the "mean world effect" which is that we see it on the media and we assume it happens way more than it actually does. Still, I have been wondering about getting a dash cam ever since I ordered my new Macan. What do people think. Should a dash cam be bought? And does it even deter or catch any offenders?

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Don’t think a dashcam will deter an asshole, if anything they may even wave at it.

But at least where I live, in the NY metro area, I don’t worry about getting keyed. Could happen but not seen people particularly angry at EV here.

Last edited:

fubar.droid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
You should have a dashcam anyway, if someone backs up into you and hits you (has happened to me), without a dashcam they can easily lie and you have no proof you didn't rear end them. Thankfully in my situation the guy was honest but may not be so lucky next time. You can also help others who get into a wreck or like a hit and run (happened to a car right in front of me).

DuckMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 40i, TRD Taco, K1200RS. past: M5, M3, 135i S2.
Country flag
You should have a dashcam anyway, if someone backs up into you and hits you (has happened to me), without a dashcam they can easily lie and you have no proof you didn't rear end them. Thankfully in my situation the guy was honest but may not be so lucky next time. You can also help others who get into a wreck or like a hit and run (happened to a car right in front of me).
100% agree. Honesty has left the building and hard evidence is good when the unexpected goes down.

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
Country flag
what is the best dashcam system for the macan? the porsche one or an aftermarket ?

bbmertz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Tesla Y, Ford F-150
Country flag
The Porsche dashcam gets very bad reviews. I’m open to suggestions regarding which one to purchase based on clarity of picture, ability to record when parked without a battery pack, and ability to view picture in real-time via mobile phone via cellular network. (Feel free to start a separate thread or refer us to an existing one.)

Here are the aftermarket dashcams I’m currently considering:
  1. Blackvue DR970X-2CH Plus
  2. Thinkware U3000
  3. Vueroid D21 4K
  4. Vantrue N5

Last edited:

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Porsche dashcam gets very bad reviews. I’m open to suggestions regarding which one to purchase based on clarity of picture, ability to record when parked without a battery pack, and ability to view picture in real-time via mobile phone via cellular network. (Feel free to start a separate thread or refer us to an existing one.)

2. Thinkware U3000
  3. Vueroid D21 4K
  4. Vantrue N5
I would add the Vantrue N4 Pro and the VIOFO A229 Pro 4K - both going for less than $300 with the frequent promotions for Prime members.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
100% should get a dashcam anyways. Still waiting for the someone from the first batch of orders to bite the bullet to see how that goes! I get conflicting info whether the pre-wired Dashcam option is for both Front and Rear or not

2. Thinkware U3000
  3. Vueroid D21 4K
  4. Vantrue N5
Wonder if anybody who has received their car actually optioned the Pre Wired Dashcam option or not. Just wanting to confirm that similar to the Taycan the pre-wired option only allows for the Porsche dashcam to be plug and play and not a third party dashcam.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just wanting to confirm that similar to the Taycan the pre-wired option only allows for the Porsche dashcam to be plug and play and not a third party dashcam.
Reports point to the same proprietary connector that only works with the Porsche one. But it can be converted to a more generic one, several tutorials are available online.

DTaxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GLS, E class
Country flag
Reports point to the same proprietary connector that only works with the Porsche one. But it can be converted to a more generic one, several tutorials are available online.
My SA told me there is not a proprietary connector, but I don't have 100% confidence in her knowledge.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
My SA told me there is not a proprietary connector, but I don't have 100% confidence in her knowledge.
Same with my SA. For example he thinks its just the front dash but others have been told its front and rear. Hopefully someone actually has it optioned and have received their car and can confirm

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you get the dashcam prep option @platypus? If so, what’s your guy saying about front vs front/back?