• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is new Macan interior. Not Taycan facelift.
Will be very interesting to see how much of an 'upgrade' the driving experience is from the existing ICE version, which in my opinion is frankly a fairly underwhelming drive.

Reactions: D00

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Some other things to note from the photo:

1. They’ve replaced the insanely dumb regen button on the steering wheel with a media control button.

2. With 420km of range at ~80% it has a full range of 525km in Normal mode.

3. The new (presumably Android automotive based) PCM apparently has an app store.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

1. They’ve replaced the insanely dumb regen button on the steering wheel with a media control button.

3. The new (presumably Android automotive based) PCM apparently has an app store.
And the PCM can connect using 5G – where as the current Taycan is limited to 4G.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

“Insanely dumb” - 😂. It is literally one of the 2 buttons on the steering wheel I use (the other being the volum control, which, okay, is not a button). Goes to show how vastly different preferences can be. Hopefully they kept the ability to program at least one button on the wheel; it would be extremely dumb to have to remove one’s hand from the wheel to activate recoup.

Reactions: D00

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
Keep in mind this is a heavily photoshopped picture, with the famous 9:11 time everywhere, so I would be cautious with the range displayed here.

freeforall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Keep in mind this is a heavily photoshopped picture, with the famous 9:11 time everywhere, so I would be cautious with the range displayed here.
« Real life » Macan’s range tested here
320+ miles with mainly 70 miles per hour so it is probably achievable with very smooth driving ( I will never drive my car like that 😂)

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 Macan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks very nice indeed. Vents seem to be manually adjustable now, there appears to be a physical volume button, and the closed cubby would be more useful than a tray under the screen.

I am not bothered by the current layout or absence of buttons; I rarely touch the climate controls, and the seat heating appears to continue on as a soft button (my most used feature). However, i agree with @tigerbalm, the console display is just a useless large screen. I guess its only advantage is the ability to see charging status at a glance from (far) outside the car.
I use a two finger swipe for volume on the console screen instead of pressing +/- at the bottom in addition to the volume scroller on the wheel. I am sure very few use it for drawing letters as input, which I think its primary purpose (large empty area in the middle).

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I use a two finger swipe for volume on the console screen instead of pressing +/- at the bottom in addition to the volume scroller on the wheel. I am sure very few use it for drawing letters as input, which I think its primary purpose (large empty area in the middle).
The scroll button is right there, and the detents help with precision. Plus I hate fingerprints on that display.

Interesting point about letter input; I tried that several times, when the nav voice command is useless and the keyboard is disabled. IMO it is quite possibly the most useless feature of the car. It tracks the finger movements well, but the timing between consecutive characters is way too short. If you glance away from the screen (to, you know, look ahead on the road), it thinks you’re done typing and uses the current sequence as the search term. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I feel that the problem with Porsche's software is that they take an interesting concept, develop it until it's 75% of a working product, and then they botch it up with some absolutely terrible design-by-committee nonsense until it's practically unusable.

The pressure sensitive console screen is an amazing concept where they could dynamically present most of the user controls within easy reach of the driver while still letting the main screen display most of the important information. This could be things like media player controls, HomeLink, ride height, massage seats controls, phone call interface or just straight up a regular keyboard when entering text.

They also flirted with the idea of using gestures, but left it with probably the most useless one they could think of (controlling volume which there is already a dedicated thumbwheel for). Instead they could for example have let right/left two finger swipes control the media player, three finger swipe to switch between sidebar apps, four finger swipe to close the current app, pinch to zoom the map or a hundred different things that one could probably think of that would actually make it useful.

Instead some absolute genius put a touchpad there, which frankly might be one of the most baffling decisions I have seen in the history of UX.

Like, the goal of any vehicle interface is to spend as little focus on it as possible while driving. So they designed an interface where you essentially have to scroll through tiny invisible lists of elements, with a subtle yellow highlight in order to interact with an element that you could instead just touch with your finger.