• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo,Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
thanks!!!
apparently it requires "adoption" by 3rd parties - but the API's are available…

This is my own answer to this problem. This issue is addressed in CarPlay developer documentation updated in March 2024, revealing plans to offer services in the HUD area to third-party app developers.
it's not so much a policy as it is a technical limitation - which is a form of a policy - but lacks malicious intent - I'm guessing "screen 2" support was originally limited in carplay and has the platform has progressed more capabilities are being added - as these capabilities are "added" it requires Apple to offer support (vai API access) to 3rd parties and then requires them to integrate/adopt the relevant API's into their application - I would expect this support to be rolled into Google Maps and Wave by end of 2025 or sooner.

kudo's to Porsche for adding this support to their carplay platform - until the Macan no Porsche vehicle had HUD support from carplay - that is the bigger news here!!

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
That issue will be addressed and had nothing to do with Apple not opening up, there was simple not an API, many developers work this way, they introduced this first to see if car manufactures would embrace it, why start making an API if only a handful of cars supported it, now it is and so accoridng to the documentation it will be there …
Also you need to remember not many cars supported that anyway, BMW introduced HUD Apple Maps capability in their high end car and the dual support for every vehicle is standard for not even 2 years … I had a friend buying a BMW not that long ago and the HUD does not support Apple Maps Navigation, he was pissed …
So patience it will come, in the mean time Apple Maps is better than Waze, it took them a while, but now I prefer it in every way, especially in iOS 18, Waze feels like 10 years old and not up to date anymore … but it really depends on the region, in the US, Apple Maps is like next level …

Sahajesh

First Name
Sahajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX3
Country flag
In the UK, I’ve found Apple Maps to be poor at traffic detection and avoidance.

Google Maps and Waze are better, so I use those and forego the HUD.

When I’m in Europe however, I’ll use AM as clarity of guidance is a priority.

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Never had a single problem with FSD in 100000kms with Tesla but yes I miss the central display and I found that looking at the "Pad" can be a distraction factor. Maybe when I try the HUD for enough time I'll change my mind but for now (and next 4/5 years) I'm happy without (IMHO obviously)
You were lucky with your Tesla.
Had tons of issues with my Tesla S FSD and ACC, starting with so many ghost brakings since they switched to vision only system. Actually, it is only useful on an empty highway by night, no joke.
Wife hated ACC (and FSD btw) and had total loss of confidence in our Tesla model S.
Too bad, this car is very good when you never activate those “security” systems.
As a consequence, I did not spec Innodrive, it will take years to regain thrust in this kind of systems.
Yes, big screen is a danger, but I was able to manage that, and the manual whippers ;-)

Porsche HUD, with or without AR, is going to be a salvation for us…

fsabek

First Name
Fuwad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla model s, 2022 Range Rover sport, macan ev turbo eta at dealer 9/18
Country flag
You were lucky with your Tesla.
Had tons of issues with my Tesla S FSD and ACC, starting with so many ghost brakings since they switched to vision only system. Actually, it is only useful on an empty highway by night, no joke.
Wife hated ACC (and FSD btw) and had total loss of confidence in our Tesla model S.
Too bad, this car is very good when you never activate those “security” systems.
As a consequence, I did not spec Innodrive, it will take years to regain thrust in this kind of systems.
Yes, big screen is a danger, but I was able to manage that, and the manual whippers ;-)

Porsche HUD, with or without AR, is going to be a salvation for us…
Wow. Very strange to hear that you had problems with acc and fsd in your model s. Which year is it if you don’t mind me asking. I have a 2021 model s and got so addicted to the fsd. However that said it is not unexpected from Tesla since they have different batches builds quality. So it might just be a bad fsd hardware batch. I had my car towed the next morning I took delivery and they had to replace the rear motor!!!!!