• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside)

Wheels... help me choose! (2 votes per person available)

• Total voters

mikeright

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
Play with me and help me choose wheels for this configuration in frozen blue and all details in high gloss black.
These are the rules:
  • Choose the wheels thinking only about the final design, forget about other factors.
  • Feel free to leave a comment to explain your votes
  • 2 votes per person

Option A · RS Spyder · Painted in High gloss black
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) A RS High gloss black

Option B · RS Spyder · Painted in Satin black
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) B RS Satin black

Option C · RS Spyder
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) C RS

Option D · Macan exclusive · Painted in High gloss black
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) D Exclusive desi

Option E · Macan sport
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) E Sport desi

Last edited:

Great_Cookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nil - Macan 4 EV (Sept '24 Production)
Country flag
Chose B & C... I'm a personal fan of the Spyder design. I would have loved to go 22"s, but road conditions were i live dictate that 21's are probably the 'sane' choice for a daily driver.

'B' - predominantly to 'match' the frozen blue main - my personal prefer to have gloss trim to remain as 'highlights' + gloss rims can be a pain to maintain
'C' - again Spyder but just depends on your personal preference/personality/what other cars you have in your garage :)

Good luck with your choice! I'm sure it'll rock! :rock:

grizzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
A or B. thought about frozenblue, but ended with icegrey. imho frozenblue only with a or b, everything else would not be consequent.

Sideline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E450 wagon
Country flag
I've also spec'd Frozen Blue, flip-flopping with Ice Grey but finally settling on Frozen Blue after seeing both together in a dealer lot (on the Taycan of course). A little different than your spec, I've selected body coloured side blades and lower mirror housings.

Please take the following as purely my opinion --- this is so subjective, in particular when you've asked us to disregard other factors (such as price, range, ease of maintenance). So here goes:

IMHO, all black wheels work best when paired with black (or generally dark) body paint where the dark wheels contribute to the mass and stance (Darth Vader-like). With lighter coloured body paint, the heavy contrast can create the effect of the wheels disappearing into black blobs with the tires, leaving them disconnected from the rest of the car. No flames please --- I know black wheels are a popular choice among Porsche buyers.

Option C seems too fussy against the simple design language of the new Macan --- too much going on visually with the sharp thin bright parts. If you're set on the RS Spyder wheels, have you considered having them painted in Vesuvius Grey? That would give the wheels some definition and I think would work well with the Frozen Blue. I love the look of the RS Spyder wheels in Vesuvius or Titanium on a 911 or 718.

I don't know what to feel about Option D. It's been used on the launch Turbo and it generally looks good but there's something off-putting about the width of black part of the blades. I know you implied that we shouldn't consider ease of cleaning but unless you keep the dust down on the black portions of the blades, the bright bits will lose their effect.

My top choice is Option E, which I've chosen for my build. They give the car a playful edge, making the car look like a big fun toy. I imagine that the simpler shape and wider bright work on the blades (relative to Option D) will help maintain the look even when dusty. I also see a connection to the classic, iconic Fuchs wheel (maybe that one is a stretch for some but I see it).

Good luck with this!

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
I've also spec'd Frozen Blue, flip-flopping with Ice Grey but finally settling on Frozen Blue after seeing both together in a dealer lot (on the Taycan of course). A little different than your spec, I've selected body coloured side blades and lower mirror housings.

Please take the following as purely my opinion --- this is so subjective, in particular when you've asked us to disregard other factors (such as price, range, ease of maintenance). So here goes:

IMHO, all black wheels work best when paired with black (or generally dark) body paint where the dark wheels contribute to the mass and stance (Darth Vader-like). With lighter coloured body paint, the heavy contrast can create the effect of the wheels disappearing into black blobs with the tires, leaving them disconnected from the rest of the car. No flames please --- I know black wheels are a popular choice among Porsche buyers.

Option C seems too fussy against the simple design language of the new Macan --- too much going on visually with the sharp thin bright parts. If you're set on the RS Spyder wheels, have you considered having them painted in Vesuvius Grey? That would give the wheels some definition and I think would work well with the Frozen Blue. I love the look of the RS Spyder wheels in Vesuvius or Titanium on a 911 or 718.

I don't know what to feel about Option D. It's been used on the launch Turbo and it generally looks good but there's something off-putting about the width of black part of the blades. I know you implied that we shouldn't consider ease of cleaning but unless you keep the dust down on the black portions of the blades, the bright bits will lose their effect.

My top choice is Option E, which I've chosen for my build. They give the car a playful edge, making the car look like a big fun toy. I imagine that the simpler shape and wider bright work on the blades (relative to Option D) will help maintain the look even when dusty. I also see a connection to the classic, iconic Fuchs wheel (maybe that one is a stretch for some but I see it).

Good luck with this!
Great take on the color matching, agree with you!

OP
OP
mikeright

mikeright

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
If you're set on the RS Spyder wheels, have you considered having them painted in Vesuvius Grey? That would give the wheels some definition and I think would work well with the Frozen Blue. I love the look of the RS Spyder wheels in Vesuvius or Titanium on a 911 or 718.
Thank you so much for you deep explanation. I really appreciate it.
Of course thanks all for your support and your help! Great community here ;-)

Regarding the RS Spyder in Vesuvius grey... I have not had the chance to see them in the flesh. Asking my dealer about that they were not recommended to me because it would mean introducing yet another color into the combination. I have always been advised to limit color combinations as much as possible.

In any case let me save my final comments on all the points you have described before other fellow forum members respond. I would not want to condition your opinions, and it is that diversity of opinion that helps us all to learn.

Let's see what others vote ;-)

Sideline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E450 wagon
Country flag
Thank you so much for you deep explanation. I really appreciate it.
Of course thanks all for your support and your help! Great community here ;-)

Regarding the RS Spyder in Vesuvius grey... I have not had the chance to see them in the flesh. Asking my dealer about that they were not recommended to me because it would mean introducing yet another color into the combination. I have always been advised to limit color combinations as much as possible.

In any case let me save my final comments on all the points you have described before other fellow forum members respond. I would not want to condition your opinions, and it is that diversity of opinion that helps us all to learn.

Let's see what others vote ;-)
Fair point on introducing another colour with the Vesuvius Grey. I guess if you had spec'd the Offroad Design Package (which includes Vesuvius Grey on the side front fascia, side skirts, rear diffuser and roof rails), then the Vesuvius wheels would be a nice match.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
I concur that the width of the blades is wider than I would have wished; yet ever since I saw these in the reveal I have liked them in black next to the contrasting, double-shiny alum spokes. I think from more than a few feet away the wider black blades start to disappear in contrast to the shiny spokes. That those two spokes are not the same shape is also appealing to me.

But of course as always, road conditions, budget, and personal preference are always most important…

Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) IMG_2539

OP
OP
mikeright

mikeright

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
People asked a new option...
F · RS Spyder painted in vesuvius grey
Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) F RS vesuvius grey

What do you think? Any changes in your votes?

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I went for option E with Frozen blue. The Porsche designers know what they are doing when they spec their promo vehicles.

Electric Macan EV Macan EV Wheels... help me choose! (pictures inside) IMG_1814

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
If there is one thing I do not like is the wheel options, they all look to Retro and some of the Audi designs of their electric cars look better (there where several test Macon’s using them, I was hopeful they would make it over to Porsche … but I later realized they where Audi, so no chance of that)

grizzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Surprising- I really like the "retro" wheel design from Porsche an think the audi designer are too "Hello, i am a BEV and i have to look different concernig the wheels mixed with some ICE
reminiscence concerning the front".

Only my 0,02 €

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
People asked a new option...
F · RS Spyder painted in vesuvius grey
F RS vesuvius grey.png

What do you think? Any changes in your votes?
As you asked, in my opinion looks like those wheels need to have brake dust removed. Vesuvius matches nothing, though of course just mo opinion. If someone likes it, again that is what counts.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Surprising- I really like the "retro" wheel design from Porsche an think the audi designer are too "Hello, i am a BEV and i have to look different concernig the wheels mixed with some ICE
reminiscence concerning the front".

Only my 0,02 €
Depends which Audi wheels, the ones I like do not scream I’m a BEV, but that is my personal opinion … Anyway I sticked with the original Turbo 20 inch wheels while I wait till there are nicer ones out, hopefully a mid model update will bring some Nicer wheels …