• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

wheel / tire sizes and range

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
i was really wondering what about the wheel options would really effect the range. It seemed kinda odd that the range would be so different. Our UK friends noted that the range is shown in the configurator and will vary on your wheel sizes.
For example, on a 4S (i don't know why it lists miles...)

20's - 380 mi
21" - 355 mi, 357 mi
22" - 352 mi , 349 mi , 360 mi

interestingly enough, they give different ranges depending on which model wheel... So these variations may just be on based on the weight of the wheel alone. I was initially thinking that the total circumference may vary, but lookin at those numbers, all of the wheels are very close. only a difference of 0.1% between the tires of the 20's vs the 22's

so this kinda gives me hope that I can get some aftermarket 21's w/o sacrificing much, if any range. Maybe once i can find the weight of these OE'd wheels, it'll be easier to find a AM wheel of the same weight or lighter.

any clue if the OE wheel weights are out there anywhere?

Senna

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Macan 4
Country flag
I'm not certain about the weights of those wheels, but remember that their design can also impact the range.

Salmonfisher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2 plus/pilot
Country flag
Kissrock
We do use miles in UK!
This difference is pretty standard in EVs.
I currently have a Polestra and the difference between 19” and 20” is very significant and ride is far worse. Range doesn’t seem to vary that much by design so it must mainly be the size.
That’s who I have specified 20” for my Porche but I wish I could see some in flesh. Been at my dealer to test drive both 4 and turbo today and they had cars with virtually every wheel except 20”.
I have to say the 21” off road looked by far the best and I am tempted but lower range and and over £2k more is a concern

byebye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan EV to be delivered… or not
Country flag
I did the math with a pourcentage impact.
The percentage is probably more useful than the estimated range.
Full disclaimer: figures are coming from the french configurator, on my particular Turbo build. It’s based on the WLTP range estimation, which is different from EPA… which is different from reality!

Electric Macan EV wheel / tire sizes and range IMG_3154

OP
OP
krissrock

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
Yes, Aero wheels are more efficient.
True. I can't imagine it makes such a significant impact on range...But it is a factor i know. the Range difference between some of the 21's and 22's are negligeable...so it's either the design, and/or the weight.

I have to say the 21” off road looked by far the best and I am tempted but lower range and and over £2k more is a concern
I agree!! i love a 5 spoke wheel. Either those or the 22" Macan Sport Wheels. But browsing aftermarket wheels can become an addiction!!

I did the math with a pourcentage impact.
The percentage is probably more useful than the estimated range.
ohhh nice. according to your data, if i can still get over 300 mi's on 21's with a 4S...i'd be happy