• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

wheel / tire sizes and range

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
It's not about not wanting the best of both worlds, but people making strange choices for the sake of a few miles of range, such as picking the most efficient rims as opposed to the rims that look the best. People have never done that for ICE cars, yet wide tyres on ICE cars have the same impact on fuel economy as they do on energy useage.
Spot on! But not as simple either.

I think the range concern has more to do with the charging network situation: it is much easier to refill a gas tank than charge a car. More gas stations, everywhere.

People that are not already familiar with EV and/or have driven one, and who for the most part read everywhere that charging sucks and networks are always down, are understandably scared... and therefore make the decisions you mentioned.

I've been driving EV for years, done a bunch of road trips, and for the most part, the situation has drastically improved and I never worry about it anymore (and that was even before getting access to superchargers which make things even easier). It's just a learning curve.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The OEM wheels are heavy, as most OEM tires are. I don't think we have the exact weights anywhere but almost anything aftermarket will be lighter.

How much impact 40ish pounds of unsprung weight has on range, though.. shrug.

As for range, it's the most important aspect of an EV if you're using it for any day or longer trips. Around town, whatever, but it's critically important to be able to hit certain metrics on road trips.

In general 300 miles of 100% range in summer conditions gets you into a much more comfortable spot for road trips. Below 250 and it starts to get really painful. Having longer range allows you to better pick and choose charging stops, more options are better.

OP
OP
krissrock

krissrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT Roadster, Ducati Panigale, Cheverolet Trailblazer, Kia Sportage Hybrid
Country flag
i hear you... and I think the information wasn't as available when it comes to ICE cars though... Ppl may have made different choices if they knew...

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Spot on! But not as simple either.

I think the range concern has more to do with the charging network situation: it is much easier to refill a gas tank than charge a car. More gas stations, everywhere.

People that are not already familiar with EV and/or have driven one, and who for the most part read everywhere that charging sucks and networks are always down, are understandably scared... and therefore make the decisions you mentioned.

I've been driving EV for years, done a bunch of road trips, and for the most part, the situation has drastically improved and I never worry about it anymore (and that was even before getting access to superchargers which make things even easier). It's just a learning curve.

In general 300 miles of 100% range in summer conditions gets you into a much more comfortable spot for road trips. Below 250 and it starts to get really painful. Having longer range allows you to better pick and choose charging stops, more options are better.

Maybe I'm spoiled in Europe, but long distance road trips using 350 kW EVSEs are a breeze. I realise it may not be the same in North America.

JBA

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche GT3, 2023 Audi SQ5
Country flag
Another factor to consider is that the 20-inch wheels have 235mm width front tires and 285 rears. Both the 21 and the 22-inch wheels use 255s on the front and 295s on the rear. The narrower tire cross section on the 20s probably makes a difference in aerodynamic drag.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe I'm spoiled in Europe, but long distance road trips using 350 kW EVSEs are a breeze. I realise it may not be the same in North America.
In the North East of the US, never had issues either. But the US is a big country, I’m sure it’s probably not as simply in the middle of it.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another factor to consider is that the 20-inch wheels have 235mm width front tires and 285 rears. Both the 21 and the 22-inch wheels use 255s on the front and 295s on the rear. The narrower tire cross section on the 20s probably makes a substantial difference.
Range/quiet/comfort vs grip/sportiness.
It’s always a compromise. :)

Reactions: JBA

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I will argue until my dying days that smaller tires generally improve day to day sporty feel. The 20s on my Taycan felt significantly more natural than the 21s. And grip is going to far exceed anything you need with proper tires on.

You get larger wheels for the looks or because you're going to track the car.

Salmonfisher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2 plus/pilot
Country flag
Exactly. I am on the first camp and always ordered the smallest wheels even when I drove ICE cars. I’ve a Polestar at present and if you read reviews it has a terrible ride. If you look at detail they are all on 20 or 21 rims whereas ride is great on 19s