• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Test Drive Experience Macan 4

Duke95

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, Macan 4 on order
Country flag
I am two weeks from taking delivery and finally was able to test drive one in downtown Chicago. I did not get full specs but it was pretty "base" for a 4, exceptions being 21' tires and leather with HUD. The freeway was jammed so I was limited to downtown streets.

I have been trained over the years to know that opinions are solidly about where you came from in the first place, so let me mention, never owned a Porsche, never owned a car more than 300 HP, current car is a Pathfinder, with an Audi Q5 before that. I love the size of the pathfinder but dont want to wait for the Cayenne EV, and ready for something smaller anyway, and the Q5 really was the perfect size and given it is kind of a sister car to the Macan, expected something similar in size, with a more sporty and premium feel.

Well, sporty feel, check. Yeah, I'm sold...the Macan is the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. It was quiet, supple, took the terrible downtown streets amazingly well, no matter what height I set the car to, and even in sport mode. In normal mode we approached a seriously potholed and pocked stretch and I commented to my wife, well here is a great test, and wholly cow, you almost could not even notice. So smooth. On the outside, yeah many have said they dont love the back...I was conditioned to maybe feel that way but no...I think the back looks really muscular, really good in person. The front is definitely this cars calling card and in person it did not disappoint. From the side, yeah its more conservative but you still get that muscular look from the back haunches.

As for the acceleration, I will admit perseverating over whether to cancel my 4 when the 4S came out. And the answer is...probably. maybe? Gunning from a standstill is quick but in no way exhilarating. That said, gunning from a 20 mph roll was much more impressive...instant power and lots of it. Same from 40. To me, its more about passing people when the power is needed, which to me rarely happens from a stand still. To me the most fun is getting pissed behind someone going 60 in the fast lane and then gunning past them. :) :) Was not able to try that here, but I have confidence I will be happy with that when the time comes! So yeah, I like the power...just wish it had a more from a standstill. Again, did not want to wait for what I was told was a Jan delivery for a 4S, and in real world driving I think I will be happy...but if I am honest, only 85% happy with the power it has.

The real striking thing to me is how much more my Q5 felt bigger. The frunk would be good if it didnt have this huge slant in it...from pics I thought I could put a standard carry on in there but there is no way. I will probably put the chargers, umbrellas, ice scraper etc in there...and that will totally max it out. The trunk too looks very small compared to the Q5, noting I did not own a Q5 sportback and the Macan is a sportback that is surely the difference. And in the end, I love the sportback look, so this is a compromise I have not issue living with. The backseat is not nearly as roomy as the Q5. Overall surprising to me given near identical dimensions. I was happy to find though I had no issues with the headroom (6' 2") and behind my own driving position I had 2" to spare and I like my seating position high and with that there is a ton of space for feet to slide under the front seat. In some ways it feels more cramped because the front seat design looks bulky from behind so there is kind of a wall of a chair in front of you when you sit in the back. But I fit and I am 210 lbs, and my kids dont have my size, so yeah, it will work just good fine. Also I feared from reviews I would not like the seat angle back there but really it was fine.

The interior: Looking at pics for the past 6 months I have fretted that it would not be nice/cool enough for the $$ spent. I am no longer concerned. Porsche did what they do...make a reserved interior that yet feels totally premium and special. A+ to me. The dash, software, center console, etc, all super sharp and great. People have said the cameras were lower grade but in the full sun I had the images looked great. Bose sound was good enough for me and I have been (on the side) a semi-professional musician/producer my whole life.

Overall, it was a bit of a whirlwind to spend 30 minutes with a car I have been looking at online for the better part of 6 months! I left a little dizzy :) taking so much in, trying to confirm or deny so many impressions from so many YouTube videos and hours on the configurator and this forum! Overall I could not be happier with my purchase. Any sense of anxiety of spending a good chunk more than any car I have bought in my life is gone. It will be 100% worth it! A fabulous car all around.

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great review! And I agree, the car is more impressive in person than photos lead one to believe. It has a very nice presence to it, both exterior and interior.

MFitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4S ordered PSZS3QQ8
Country flag
I am two weeks from taking delivery and finally was able to test drive one in downtown Chicago. I did not get full specs but it was pretty "base" for a 4, exceptions being 21' tires and leather with HUD. The freeway was jammed so I was limited to downtown streets.

I have been trained over the years to know that opinions are solidly about where you came from in the first place, so let me mention, never owned a Porsche, never owned a car more than 300 HP, current car is a Pathfinder, with an Audi Q5 before that. I love the size of the pathfinder but dont want to wait for the Cayenne EV, and ready for something smaller anyway, and the Q5 really was the perfect size and given it is kind of a sister car to the Macan, expected something similar in size, with a more sporty and premium feel.

Well, sporty feel, check. Yeah, I'm sold...the Macan is the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. It was quiet, supple, took the terrible downtown streets amazingly well, no matter what height I set the car to, and even in sport mode. In normal mode we approached a seriously potholed and pocked stretch and I commented to my wife, well here is a great test, and wholly cow, you almost could not even notice. So smooth. On the outside, yeah many have said they dont love the back...I was conditioned to maybe feel that way but no...I think the back looks really muscular, really good in person. The front is definitely this cars calling card and in person it did not disappoint. From the side, yeah its more conservative but you still get that muscular look from the back haunches.

As for the acceleration, I will admit perseverating over whether to cancel my 4 when the 4S came out. And the answer is...probably. maybe? Gunning from a standstill is quick but in no way exhilarating. That said, gunning from a 20 mph roll was much more impressive...instant power and lots of it. Same from 40. To me, its more about passing people when the power is needed, which to me rarely happens from a stand still. To me the most fun is getting pissed behind someone going 60 in the fast lane and then gunning past them. :) :) Was not able to try that here, but I have confidence I will be happy with that when the time comes! So yeah, I like the power...just wish it had a more from a standstill. Again, did not want to wait for what I was told was a Jan delivery for a 4S, and in real world driving I think I will be happy...but if I am honest, only 85% happy with the power it has.

The real striking thing to me is how much more my Q5 felt bigger. The frunk would be good if it didnt have this huge slant in it...from pics I thought I could put a standard carry on in there but there is no way. I will probably put the chargers, umbrellas, ice scraper etc in there...and that will totally max it out. The trunk too looks very small compared to the Q5, noting I did not own a Q5 sportback and the Macan is a sportback that is surely the difference. And in the end, I love the sportback look, so this is a compromise I have not issue living with. The backseat is not nearly as roomy as the Q5. Overall surprising to me given near identical dimensions. I was happy to find though I had no issues with the headroom (6' 2") and behind my own driving position I had 2" to spare and I like my seating position high and with that there is a ton of space for feet to slide under the front seat. In some ways it feels more cramped because the front seat design looks bulky from behind so there is kind of a wall of a chair in front of you when you sit in the back. But I fit and I am 210 lbs, and my kids dont have my size, so yeah, it will work just good fine. Also I feared from reviews I would not like the seat angle back there but really it was fine.

The interior: Looking at pics for the past 6 months I have fretted that it would not be nice/cool enough for the $$ spent. I am no longer concerned. Porsche did what they do...make a reserved interior that yet feels totally premium and special. A+ to me. The dash, software, center console, etc, all super sharp and great. People have said the cameras were lower grade but in the full sun I had the images looked great. Bose sound was good enough for me and I have been (on the side) a semi-professional musician/producer my whole life.

Overall, it was a bit of a whirlwind to spend 30 minutes with a car I have been looking at online for the better part of 6 months! I left a little dizzy :) taking so much in, trying to confirm or deny so many impressions from so many YouTube videos and hours on the configurator and this forum! Overall I could not be happier with my purchase. Any sense of anxiety of spending a good chunk more than any car I have bought in my life is gone. It will be 100% worth it! A fabulous car all around.
Great first impressions. Thanks for taking the time.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
Thank you Duke95. Very glad your Macan will work well for you and your family. Good to know a really bad potholed street was easily surmountable.