• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

This is getting crazy

BigApple

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo EV
Country flag
So far to the State/gov to encourage people to go EV ...
Electric Macan EV This is getting crazy DMV-EV-Tax

Awaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40, next Porsche Macan EV
Country flag
It's crazy, and the UK has excelled even at that.
  • New zero-emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will be liable to pay the lowest first-year rate of Vehicle Excise duty, currently £10 a year.
  • From the second year of registration onwards, they will move to the standard rate, currently £190 a year.
  • The Expensive Car Supplement exemption for electric vehicles is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will therefore be liable for the Expensive Car Supplement. The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for five years and is currently £410 a year. This means EV drivers with an 'expensive car' will pay up to £600 a year for road tax.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Highways are supported by gas taxes. This is a way for EVs to pay for their share of maintaining these roads. Seems paradoxical, and logical, at the same time.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
In Italy there's not a road tax for the EV (for 3/5 years or forever - the decision is delegated by the state to individual regions) but I don't think that this will last for long. About prices, if they should decide to request a payment for EV it would be very very expensive: i.e. in Lombardy (where I live and where the car is registered) my Porsche Macan 4 408 CV / 300 kW would pay 3332€ each year!

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX
Country flag
Personally I wish states would get rid of the gas tax and instead have a registration fee based on vehicle weight and estimated milage (with a true-up each year based on a vehicle inspection that checks the odometer). Then they could charge a lower rate if they want to incentivize ZEVs, but the calculation method and source of revenue would be the same regardless of the type of vehicle.

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Abarth 500e, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
In NZ we have to pay Road User Charges (RUC), this is charged per km, right now it applies to Diesel and Electric vehicles, but petrol cars will change to this system in the next year or so. The plan is that all cars “use” the road, so this is fair. Then any other taxes that relate to carbon, sales tax etc are added to the per lite cost at the pump, or perhaps per kWh with the electricity retailer.

I happen to think it‘s pretty fair. We all use the roads, we want them maintained, why not get the road users too actually pay for them. For context we have very very few toll roads here, the vast majority are free to drive on.

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan 4
Country flag
I happen to think it‘s pretty fair. We all use the roads, we want them maintained, why not get the road users too actually pay for them. For context we have very very few toll roads here, the vast majority are free to drive on.
This would be great if:
a) roads are well maintained (and in Italy... well you can not say they area well maintained)
b) toll roads have right fees (and we have I think the most expensive toll roads).

The plan is that all cars “use” the road, so this is fair. Then any other taxes that relate to carbon, sales tax etc are added to the per lite cost at the pump, or perhaps per kWh with the electricity retailer.
I'm agree with you at 200% but, at least in Italy, the road tax is related to the ownership of the car (and you have already payed VAT and other taxes): no mention to use of it (I use it 95% for my job) and my charging station does not have a separate power line. It would be other costs that:
(a) for business use I could charge on my customers with the risk of not being competitive
(b) a separate line has some components of the overall expense fixed and not related to consumption;
c) I have already spent more on the purchase of an electric car than the corresponding thermal car (and more than many European countries and certainly the U.S.).
I totally agree that we all have to contribute, but taxes on electric cars cannot make up for the state's shortcomings.
End of the rant ;) 😂😂😂